Casey Anthony trial


JLM
#151
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean BreezeView Post

The people who behaved most like a mob, came from the media especially some of those on the
Nancy Grace program.

Yes, that is true. But the talking heads like Nancy sure succeeded in inflaming the publics furor . Now there are death threats coming to the lawyers, the family itself .

Awe........yes that american way. They have gone totally psychotic. and the media is not anywhere near stopping.

Now the commentary is about the profit that Casey , her family, etc.......would be cashing in on. One juror said (according to the "unbiased " news of CNN she will sell her story only if the price is right.

once again.......... it is the bottom line that matters most. As well as the non thinking lynch mob public that allows itself to be so manipulated by the likes of Nancy Grace , and a couple others on CNN that DRAMATIZE every word they say . The public just laps it up because it is not real news to them...........it is THEATER ,DRAMA and a real life who dunnit.

What is ASTOUNDING...............is that for all the bragging that americans do about their fair justice system and all their freedoms and rights.......... you have a mob mentality react like this when the JUSTICE SYSTEM ACTUALLY WORKS. Do these idiots know what the hell they really want ........or appreciate what they have???

Now............any guesses as to how many books will be coming out in the next short while and how much cashing in is done.

Any guesses, who gets the first interview with Casey and what she will be paid for it??

interesting society that has arisen ....... that is a branch from the Celeb Culture.

Nancy can be a little dramatic but that might be partly due to the fact her fiance was murdered and I don't think she ever really got over it.
 
Ariadne
#152
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

And many Canadians think their justice system is superior to all others.

It's pathetic.

14 years olds... or just one 14 year old.

The one that did this to a 12 year old girl...

"Tate was found guilty on January 25 of beating Tiffany to death at his home. Tiffany suffered a fractured skull, a lacerated liver and more than 30 other injuries on July 28, 1999, from being punched, kicked, stomped and thrown."

I don't know of too many Canadians that believe the Canadian justice system is superior to all others ... in fact, I think Canadians accept what they have, and wonder how it is done elsewhere - at least that's where I'm at.

Is there no one in the entire country that is able to assist and heal someone who is damaged and violent at the age of 14?
 
JLM
#153
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

I don't know of too many Canadians that believe the Canadian justice system is superior to all others ... in fact, I think Canadians accept what they have, and wonder how it is done elsewhere - at least that's where I'm at.

Is there no one in the entire country that is able to assist and heal someone who is damaged and violent at the age of 14?

According to some 14 is about 8 years too late, many believe if you are to set the course of a child's life you have to get to him/her by the time he/she is 6.
 
damngrumpy
+1
#154
In order to establish whether someone specific committed a crime you have to be able to
define, who the killer was, where the killing took place and when the killing took place,if
you can't answer those basic questions, then the person can't not be found guilty no matter
who they are. We cannot have people found guilty or innocent through the court of public
opinion or through the graphic details of theatre played out day after day.
The testimony has to be based on facts and answer the basic questions as mentioned above.
All the prosecutor could offer was facial expressions, as he did not address the three main
questions. Therefore a not guilty verdict is appropriate.
 
Ocean Breeze
#155
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

I don't know of too many Canadians that believe the Canadian justice system is superior to all others ... in fact, I think Canadians accept what they have, and wonder how it is done elsewhere - at least that's where I'm at.

Is there no one in the entire country that is able to assist and heal someone who is damaged and violent at the age of 14?


That is OFF topic. Canadian justice system might be worthy of a thread of its own. But it is delusional to believe that Canada b believes its system to be superior. The only nation with a superiority complex is the neighbor to the south.

sheesh. Why is it nec to deflect and manipulate from the sickness of the mob mentality that is ready to lynch and now is threatening the family and the lawyers . THAT dear folks is the american way. Dramatize a highly provocative trial . Have every dumb talking head emotionalize it , riling up the population to the point of frenzie ( No Nancy is not mildly dramatic......she has lost her objectivity and deliberately inflames with what SHE thinks is right ) , and the emotional reaction builds daily until a verdict is reached. It happens to be the correct verdict........but the lynch mob has other ideas.... and is loading its guns getting ready for REVENGE. (not justive) and punishment Mob style.

Now come the threats........with added security problems for the legal teams involved. and a family is totally destroyed. The media is not letting go......... lilke a terrior with a bone. It has to have the ratings that all this sensationalism has produced ......even if it loses its ethics, standards to do so. ( unbiased journalism ........is now a myth)

Talk shows are a buzz. repeating and repeating . and inflaming even more. Now of course comes talk of books, intervews and movie deals. The only thing missing is a shooting attempt. (so far).

.........did I miss anything??? Where else on this planet does this degree of insanity take place ?? With such a total disregard to the one system that is supposed to value our rights , and INNOCENT until PROVEN GUILTY. ?? Do folks even know what BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT IS??? obviously not.........

Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

In order to establish whether someone specific committed a crime you have to be able to
define, who the killer was, where the killing took place and when the killing took place,if
you can't answer those basic questions, then the person can't not be found guilty no matter
who they are. We cannot have people found guilty or innocent through the court of public
opinion or through the graphic details of theatre played out day after day.
The testimony has to be based on facts and answer the basic questions as mentioned above.
All the prosecutor could offer was facial expressions, as he did not address the three main
questions. Therefore a not guilty verdict is appropriate.


exellent post. Refreshingly rational/ logical. As legal issues should be.

BRAVO!!
 
Nuggler
#156
In Canada, life is life. for 1st degree murder. You must serve 25 years before applying for parole............Which may or not be granted.

We have killers such as Paul Bernardo, and Clifford Olsen, in the system now, who will probably (hopefully) die in prison.

Every time they apply, a hearing is held, victim statements are read, the victims's family is put through the horror again, and the play goes on. Nice system...........Almost makes one want to bring back the noose, except our system is so SNAFU, it would eventually hang and innocent person.

Just sayin:...........they don't automatically get out after 25 years.
 
JLM
#157
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

In Canada, life is life. for 1st degree murder. You must serve 25 years before applying for parole............Which may or not be granted.

We have killers such as Paul Bernardo, and Clifford Olsen, in the system now, who will probably (hopefully) die in prison.

Every time they apply, a hearing is held, victim statements are read, the victims's family is put through the horror again, and the play goes on. Nice system...........Almost makes one want to bring back the noose, except our system is so SNAFU, it would eventually hang and innocent person.

Just sayin:...........they don't automatically get out after 25 years.

Supporting those bastards in jail for life is sick- they should have been fertilizer 15 minutes after the guilty verdict.
 
annabattler
#158
I was also fascinated by the Anthony trial.
I've given the verdict a lot of thought. As a tv spectator I got to watch and hear many issues discussed that the jury did not....they were removed during the legal sidebars,and did not get to hear what I did.
The jurors also did not get to hear from the plethora of opinions,offered by lawyer "experts" on the various tv shows,nor to read the opinion pieces in newspapers.
The jury had reasonable doubt...they might not have approvd of Casey,but they had to make a judgement on the facts.
Trials seem to be a money-maker in the U.S. The meter reader will make money,the jurors will make money,Baez will make money,and Casey Anthony will undoubtedly make money from this.
 
EagleSmack
#159
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

In Canada, life is life. for 1st degree murder. You must serve 25 years before applying for parole............Which may or not be granted.

Got you. That sounds a little better.

Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

Is there no one in the entire country that is able to assist and heal someone who is damaged and violent at the age of 14?

Oh please, do spare me. He brutally pounded a 12 year old girl to death. Which you embrace him so quickly if it was your daughter? Granddaughter?

Why people are shocked at sentences and completely dismiss the crimes they comitted is beyond me.
 
JLM
#160
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

In Canada, life is life. for 1st degree murder. You must serve 25 years before applying for parole............Which may or not be granted.

We have killers such as Paul Bernardo, and Clifford Olsen, in the system now, who will probably (hopefully) die in prison.

Every time they apply, a hearing is held, victim statements are read, the victims's family is put through the horror again, and the play goes on. Nice system...........Almost makes one want to bring back the noose, except our system is so SNAFU, it would eventually hang and innocent person.

Just sayin:...........they don't automatically get out after 25 years.

Did they do away with the "faint hope" clause? It used to be if you were a very good boy in jail, there was a slim chance you could get out after 15 years. I kind of thought it was a good clause for cases that are an exception to the rule (like maybe the guy who killed a politician after being lied to one too many times)
 
EagleSmack
#161
Quote: Originally Posted by annabattlerView Post

I was also fascinated by the Anthony trial.
I've given the verdict a lot of thought. As a tv spectator I got to watch and hear many issues discussed that the jury did not....they were removed during the legal sidebars,and did not get to hear what I did.
The jurors also did not get to hear from the plethora of opinions,offered by lawyer "experts" on the various tv shows,nor to read the opinion pieces in newspapers.
.

So I would say that you were another one that enjoyed all the coverage that the media provided. At least a lot of it?

Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

I don't know of too many Canadians that believe the Canadian justice system is superior to all others ... in fact, I think Canadians accept what they have, and wonder how it is done elsewhere - at least that's where I'm at.

That's commendable. That is where I am at. I do not believe our Justice system is superior to all others. Nor do I like people telling me it is worse than all others or telling me what I believe.

Oh and Ari... do not listen to anyone who isn't a Mod or Andem tell you what and what you shouldn't post. Post whatever is on your mind. These threads often branch out and if the Mods think differently they will tell you. Everything you have posted thus far is on topic and relevant.
 
bluebyrd35
#162
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Supporting those bastards in jail for life is sick- they should have been fertilizer 15 minutes after the guilty verdict.

Geez and how many in both Canadian & American systems on death row or serving their umpteenth year in jail, have been proven innocent with the advent of new methods of detection. Fertilizer doesn't reanimate into a living beings as far as I know.

I have trouble understanding such bloodthirstiness. No wonder we have such a screwed up world.
 
JLM
#163
Quote: Originally Posted by bluebyrd35View Post

Geez and how many in both Canadian & American systems on death row or serving their umpteenth year in jail, have been proven innocent with the advent of new methods of detection. Fertilizer doesn't reanimate into a living beings as far as I know.

I have trouble understanding such bloodthirstiness. No wonder we have such a screwed up world.

I am not talking about the ones where there is ANY doubt, I'm talking about the likes of Olson and Bernardo.
 
Kreskin
#164
What I don't like about the American system is how it is politicized and monetized. It's intent is to be about finding guilt or innocence, but it delivers financial benefits in high profile cases to those who are suppose to be unbiased. In Canada a jurist has no other incentive other than a decision. They don't become known or sell stories are get paid to be on TV. The Anthony jurors all showed up on day 1 and 2 of the deliberations better dressed than they were during the trial phase. They obviously had more on their minds than just coming to a decision. Not that it did sway them but a conflict of interest is not about who does get swayed it's about the potential for it.

How does the evidence in the anthony case differentiate from evidence used to convict Scott Peterson? What's there to prove she was murdered?

The Peterson jury didn't use unreasonable doubt. This one did.
 
bluebyrd35
#165
  1. [QUOTE=JLM;1449454]I am not talking about the ones where there is ANY doubt, I'm talking about the likes of Olson and Bernardo.[/QUOT

Both of whom will never have another day of freedom. Sometimes, a long, period of solitary reflection in an 5 x 8 cell, is worse than the death penality . Before anyone gets uptight about TV they are allowed, just remember .........the programming is, generally speaking mind-numbing. Imagine just how deadly it would get after 25 to life!! LOL.

The stats say that those who end up killing family members, do not reoffend upon release, (if they eventually are) Perhaps they were too old, or perhaps the system works. There is no comfort to those who have been killed, dead is dead.

I feel having a death penalty changes a society and not for the better. The focus becomes all about revenge and making sure the possible offender suffers what most members of society fear most...Death! This is odd because, in societies where people are looked after from birth to death are the same ones who have the highest suicide rate. So it appears some states are worse than death LOL
 
YukonJack
#166
For those who advocating elimination of chance for redemption, because they base their opinions on the examples of Clifford Olson and Paul Bernando, here is a success story to prove them wrong:

communications.uwaterloo.ca/G...near%20extinct (external - login to view)

Too bad, it is not likely to be repeated, ever again.

Remember my post #65 on this thread?

Consider this:

Casey Anthony Porn | Casey Anthony Hard Body | Casey Porn | Mediaite (external - login to view)

Just out: Casey Anthony will stay in jail for roughly another one year. Seeing the ignorant crowd outside of the court room, the judge probably imposed this sentence in hoping that the same ignorant crowd will have forgotten about Casey Anthony in a year, for her safety.
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
#167
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

According to some 14 is about 8 years too late, many believe if you are to set the course of a child's life you have to get to him/her by the time he/she is 6.

Poor Nancy Grace, let's take a look at her track record here.

Quote:

Five years ago, Melinda Duckett, a 21-year-old mother of a missing child, appeared on Grace's show. During the interview, Grace interrogated the woman, "Where were you? Why aren't you telling us where you were that day?" The next day Duckett shot herself to death, prompting Grace to drawl to "Good Morning America": "I would suggest that guilt made her commit suicide. (external - login to view) Long story short, Trenton Duckett is still missing, and now police are agreeing with me." A court, however, did not, and last year Grace settled a wrongful death suit (external - login to view) Duckett's family brought against her for $200,000.

Then there's this little snippet.

Quote:

During the Duke lacrosse case five years ago, Grace was vehemently pro-prosecution and flippant in her depiction of the defendants, noting,

quotIm so glad they didnt miss a lacrosse game over a little thing like gang rapequot

All three were eventually pronounced innocent of the charges, and lead prosecutor Mike Nifong was disbarred for ethics violations. The evening the charges were dropped, a substitute host conveniently delivered the news (external - login to view) on Grace's show.

Nancy Grace should be punted off television, she is a stunned bobble head who is making money off of the misery of others while pontificating like Bill O'Reilly in drag.

Casey Anthony was not convicted because the Prosecution could not provide a strong enough case to convict her of the crime she was accused. Thank god the Jury does not get to listen to the rantings of half cocked bobble heads like Nancy Grace and is sequestered to see the evidence presented or there would be a lot more wrongful convictions.
Last edited by Retired_Can_Soldier; Jul 7th, 2011 at 09:29 AM..
 
EagleSmack
#168
Quote: Originally Posted by bluebyrd35View Post

Both of whom will never have another day of freedom. Sometimes, a long, period of solitary reflection in an 5 x 8 cell, is worse than the death penality .

I agree.


Quote:

The stats say that those who end up killing family members, do not reoffend upon release, (if they eventually are) Perhaps they were too old, or perhaps the system works. There is no comfort to those who have been killed, dead is dead.

But I don't think that because they might not reoffend has any bearing on Crime and Punishment. Just my opinion.

Quote:

I feel having a death penalty changes a society and not for the better. The focus becomes all about revenge and making sure the possible offender suffers what most members of society fear most...Death!

The focus is on the punishment. Some call it revenge because they disagree or maybe the families do want justice and they believe death is justice.

I for one disagree with it.

Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

Nancy Grace should be punted off television, she is a stunned bobble head who is making money off of the misery of others while pontificating like Bill O'Reilly in drag.

.

I can't stand her either. But she had her highest rankings after the verdict was delivered and even one person in here that cannot stand her watched her show. The market is there for her.

And the Duke case was an abomination. I was so happy when the prosecution dropped the charges and the judge stated that these boys are not just "Not Guilty"... they are completely innocent of the crimes in which they were charged with.
 
karrie
+2
#169
 
Ariadne
#170
Quote: Originally Posted by bluebyrd35View Post

Geez and how many in both Canadian & American systems on death row or serving their umpteenth year in jail, have been proven innocent with the advent of new methods of detection. Fertilizer doesn't reanimate into a living beings as far as I know.

I have trouble understanding such bloodthirstiness. No wonder we have such a screwed up world.

I see statements like the above often, always presented in the rhetorical. What is the answer?

It seems to me that, statistically speaking, the answer is a very, very small number, and getting smaller by the day since DNAevidence was introduced in the mid-90s. How many people have been unjustly convicted since the use of DNA in trials? How many guilty have walked free?
 
JLM
#171
Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJackView Post

For those who advocating elimination of chance for redemption, because they base their opinions on the examples of Clifford Olson and Paul Bernando, here is a success story to prove them wrong:

communications.uwaterloo.ca/G...near%20extinct (external - login to view)

Too bad, it is not likely to be repeated, ever again.

Remember my post #65 on this thread?

Consider this:

Casey Anthony Porn | Casey Anthony Hard Body | Casey Porn | Mediaite (external - login to view)

Just out: Casey Anthony will stay in jail for roughly another one year. Seeing the ignorant crowd outside of the court room, the judge probably imposed this sentence in hoping that the same ignorant crowd will have forgotten about Casey Anthony in a year, for her safety.


Correction - that is roughly two weeks.

Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

Poor Nancy Grace, let's take a look at her track record here.



Then there's this little snippet.

Nancy Grace should be punted off television, she is a stunned bobble head who is making money off of the misery of others while pontificating like Bill O'Reilly in drag.

Casey Anthony was not convicted because the Prosecution could not provide a strong enough case to convict her of the crime she was accused. Thank god the Jury does not get to listen to the rantings of half cocked bobble heads like Nancy Grace and is sequestered to see the evidence presented or there would be a lot more wrongful convictions.

Nancy's heart is in the right place (justice for the guilty) but she jumps to conclusions a little quickly and then is a little overly assertive.............doesn't leave herself much "wiggle room".

Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

I see statements like the above often, always presented in the rhetorical. What is the answer?

It seems to me that, statistically speaking, the answer is a very, very small number, and getting smaller by the day since DNAevidence was introduced in the mid-90s. How many people have been unjustly convicted since the use of DNA in trials? How many guilty have walked free?


While I've heard of D.N.A. being planted, it's about as incriminating as you can get. I'd say if it's backed up with any other evidence you've got the guy. Planting D.N.A. is pretty precarious just from the fact that while it was being planted, the accused was most likely not at the scene of the crime.
 
spirit1st
#172
In the UNITED STATES , Your guilty til proven innocent!
It amazing that anyone is ever found innocent in our court system!
Everything is stacked against you here!
Also the news appears to be against most all people! Most of our news is for the democrats Always!
 
EagleSmack
#173
Quote: Originally Posted by spirit1stView Post

In the UNITED STATES , Your guilty til proven innocent!
It amazing that anyone is ever found innocent in our court system!
Everything is stacked against you here!
Also the news appears to be against most all people! Most of our news is for the democrats Always!

Oh brother.

Casey was found innocent. This talk of "not guilty" doesn't mean you are not innocent is babble. For all intents, she is not guilty as she was innocent until proven guilty. She is guilty of lying to the police... that is it.
 
JLM
#174
Quote: Originally Posted by spirit1stView Post

In the UNITED STATES , Your guilty til proven innocent!
It amazing that anyone is ever found innocent in our court system!
Everything is stacked against you here!
Also the news appears to be against most all people! Most of our news is for the democrats Always!

Yeah, as O.J. found out!

Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Oh brother.

Casey was found innocent. This talk of "not guilty" doesn't mean you are not innocent is babble. For all intents, she is not guilty as she was innocent until proven guilty. She is guilty of lying to the police... that is it.

You'd bet the farm on that?
 
spirit1st
#175
OJ was a rare case!Most all white people knew He was guilty! Most all blacks refused to believe He was guilty, even if they knew He was!
Blacks here are taught to be against the whiles! whites here are taught not to be against the blacks! not a 100% of course! Blacks [in part mostly] think the whites owe them something? They never tell about the 100,000 of whites who gave there lives to free them!And most are half white or more and just say they are black1 Like our President! It all evil to call your self white or black or anything else that separates you from others ! We are All here in the United States just one people! We been tricked a lot in the United States to think dumb stuff! Our news does it!Not sure our News knows what they have done to separate our people from each other?
 
EagleSmack
#176
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post


You'd bet the farm on that?

Bet it on what exactly? Do I think she did it? I do. Who the heck puts duct tape on the mouth of a child and dumps them in a swamp after an accidental death?

BUT she has been found "not guilty" on the murder rap. She's considered innocent in the eyes of the law.

Quote: Originally Posted by spirit1stView Post

whites here are taught not to be against the blacks! not a 100% of course! ?

Not 100% at all. Racism abounds on both sides and among all colors.
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
#177
Quote: Originally Posted by spirit1stView Post

In the UNITED STATES , Your guilty til proven innocent!
It amazing that anyone is ever found innocent in our court system!
Everything is stacked against you here!
Also the news appears to be against most all people! Most of our news is for the democrats Always!

Quite obviously an individual who is quite ignorant of the United States.

Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Oh brother.

Casey was found innocent. This talk of "not guilty" doesn't mean you are not innocent is babble. For all intents, she is not guilty as she was innocent until proven guilty. She is guilty of lying to the police... that is it.

I'll see your Oh Brother and raise a a Good Grief.

Some people are so wrapped up in their ignorance, they ignore basic facts. Do some US citizens get wrongly convicted? Yes, absolutely. Is this an issue that the United States alone deals with? Of course not.

In Canada we are seeing people wrongfully convicted based on bad evidence annually. Does that mean the odds are stacked against the citizens of Canada or the US? Trials and appeals are readily available to those convicted unlike some countries where they march you in a back room and put a bullet behind your ear..
 
Ariadne
#178
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I am not talking about the ones where there is ANY doubt, I'm talking about the likes of Olson and Bernardo.

I think both of them have the special designation of Dangerous Offender ... meaning they never get out.

We also have the unusual case of Russell Williams (former colonel) who will most likely reoffend when/if released, but I assume that because of his service in the military he was given 25 years before parole rather than dangerous offender. He is a very scary guy.
Last edited by Ariadne; Jul 7th, 2011 at 03:43 PM..
 
YukonJack
#179
Quote: Originally Posted by spirit1stView Post

In the UNITED STATES , Your guilty til proven innocent!
It amazing that anyone is ever found innocent in our court system!
Everything is stacked against you here!
Also the news appears to be against most all people! Most of our news is for the democrats Always!

In Canada, in the United States and anywhere else, for that matter, you are wrong to make such an ignorant statement.
 
Ariadne
#180
Quote: Originally Posted by spirit1stView Post

In the UNITED STATES , Your guilty til proven innocent!
It amazing that anyone is ever found innocent in our court system!
Everything is stacked against you here!
Also the news appears to be against most all people! Most of our news is for the democrats Always!

That isn't true. US trials are interesting to watch in part because the defence can throw out wingnut theories and the prosecution has to jump hoops the navigate around them while still presenting arguments proving guilt.

I just caught up on the highlights of the sentencing of Ms Anthony. She is to be released on Wednesday, but the financial hammer is about to fall. The state is going to pursue costs for the investigation from July until Dec 2008 and the costs for the prosecution. Since the child was never missing, the 6 month long search was a waste of time and since the death was accidental (which Ms Anthony admitted far too late), she will also be sued for the costs of the prosecution. Tim Miller of Equisearch is looking to recoup $110,000 for his search (requested by the family). She is already in debt now for the $4000 fine for lying, and non-payment of taxes for the $200,000 she received from ABC news while in jail - another $70,000 (I've heard). The investigation is already estimated in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Justice Perry has been joined to the financial suit and I doubt that he will make it easy on her - knowing all he does about the murderer child (even though she is not guilty). Baez was paid by the state, but Anthony is now required to file an insolvency application and a new attorney will be assigned. I wonder if ABC news is going to step up and pay her debts ... they've already paid for plenty of her defence, so it wouldn't surprise me if they are the first to offer her big bucks to give an interview and help her out a little more.
 

Similar Threads

17
Casey Printers signs with BC
by Kreskin | Sep 23rd, 2009
6
Casey Printers returns to the CFL
by CBC News | Sep 8th, 2007
5
Bill Casey gets booted
by gc | Jun 6th, 2007
no new posts