Casey Anthony trial


The Old Medic
#61
The Jury in this case had to ignore EVERYTHING, except for the contention (with absolutely no evidence at all) that Casey was abused by her father and brother.

Other than that, they also have to be close to the mentally defective range. They obviously didn't look at any evidence (most of them did not even take any notes during the entire trial). If any of them ever talk, you want to be that the reson was because there were no fingerprints, no DNA from Casey all over the bones, so they didn't think she could possibly be guilty.

God preserve us from juries like this. They are in Canada too folks.

So, a murderer walks free. She was convicted of 4 misdemeanors, and will likely get "time already served" for those.

And poor Casey died for nothing, so her mother could be a party girl.
 
ironsides
+1
#62
What is this "American Way, What did you expect???", there was no other verdict possible based upon the facts. Casey was not found guilty of murder as you said "Two critical factors need to be remembered. We cannot ever let go of the reasonable doubt." She was guilty of not telling police officers and investigators the truth, and that was all that could be proved. The prosecutor went into this trial with insufficient evidence, only emotion and now Casey walks away. This trial only proved that the American way works and yes not guilty does not mean "innocent".

Quote: Originally Posted by The Old MedicView Post

And poor Casey died for nothing, so her mother could be a party girl.

That is the tragedy of this case.
 
YukonJack
#63
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsidesView Post

What is this "American Way, What did you expect???", there was no other verdict possible based upon the facts. Casey was not found guilty of murder as you said "Two critical factors need to be remembered. We cannot ever let go of the reasonable doubt." She was guilty of not telling police officers and investigators the truth, and that was all that could be proved. The prosecutor went into this trial with insufficient evidence, only emotion and now Casey walks away. This trial only proved that the American way works and yes not guilty does not mean "innocent".

In Canada she would be tried and tried and tried and tried until the "right" verdict was reached.

Just ask Jean Paul Morin and that teacher in Alberta, whose now escapes me.
 
lone wolf
+1
#64
She got off on lack of evidence. If she did it, she'll pay eventually. Karma's a bitch....
 
YukonJack
+1
#65
She will probably be approached by porn producers. She will probably accept.
 
ironsides
#66
Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJackView Post

In Canada she would be tried and tried and tried and tried until the "right" verdict was reached.

Just ask Jean Paul Morin and that teacher in Alberta, whose now escapes me.

I know, there is no more murder anything we can try her for because of our "double jeopardy law". I was hoping for at least life or worse for her (based upon emotion only).
 
Ocean Breeze
+1
#67
Two critical factors need to be remembered. We cannot ever let go of the reasonable doubt." She was guilty of not telling police officers and investigators the truth, and that was all that could be proved. The prosecutor went into this trial with insufficient evidence, only emotion and now Casey walks away. This trial only proved that the American way works and yes not guilty does not mean "innocent".


************

Above is all true. But you misquote. The "american way " comment was about the THEATER that some trials take on, the sensationalization of such trials. The emotional media fostering even more emotional reaction........to the point where facts and logic are lost. Also in that comment is included the " Book writing, Book circuit and making megabucks out of a CATASTROPHE.

THAT is what I meant by "american way"

************

Let's not ASSUME that the legal system in the US works all the time. Some trials have been grossly mishandled or mismanaged. But no system is perfect.

In this case........ there was just not enough hard evidence. But truckloads of bias, emotional over reactivity , sensationalism , and your garden variety circus activity. (mostly by the media. which distorts just about everything )

The public, Nancy Grace and others spoke as if the guilty verdict was a given.

THis case falls in the same category as OJ, Simpson, and other high profile people ( Kennedy, M. Jackson , OJ to name a few)
This has been over exposed by its continuous coverage, both live and then the biased commentary.

The one that was really disappointing with his lack of OBJECTIVITY........is Dr. Drew. He was too emotional and for a trained psychologist that is a hindrence.

A dramatic series of soundbites ..........theater for the publlic......... but the seriousness of the legal system and what it is supposed to be has been lost. Nothing more than another form of "reality TV".

The "story" that is being addressed now ( and rightly so) is the one about the MEDIA and the publics fascination of such cases.

Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

She got off on lack of evidence. If she did it, she'll pay eventually. Karma's a bitch....

WELL SAID. Karma ( IF she did it) will bite her in the butt eventually. THAT she won't escape.

Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJackView Post

She will probably be approached by porn producers. She will probably accept.

that is an assumption. Just like so many about the case. WHAT exactly are the FACTS ??

Was there a witness or two??

What was the method of death?? HOW did she die??

What did the forensic evidence reveal. Anything conclusive??

What did the family dynamics have to do with this??? What did her dad's affair have to do with Caylee's demise??

WHEN did Caylee die??

I am not saying she did NOT do it. I am saying that who ever did it .......was clever enough to know how to handle forensic evidence , human remains disposal, Yet.........was foolish (arrogant???) enough to leave little tell tale clues. The heart shaped sticker on the duct tape. So there were little things that might have made a tangible connection to Casey

But is it conclusive in determining her GUILT BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT.?? & warranting a death sentence?? Logically, No.

( the death penalty should never have been part of this. ....as the prosecution did not have enough for that .......
 
Ariadne
#68
Circumstantial evidence worked for centuries, but with DNA - only since 1995 - everyone expects a forensic trail from suspect to crime.

In my opinion, the justice system in the US is broken and I don't know why, but I find it hilarious that the country that purports to have more rights than all others has gone so overboard with those rights that it's impossible to convict a child murderer. Truly a sad state of affairs.

Maybe Casey Anthony can get a job as a nanny.
 
Ocean Breeze
+1
#69
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

Circumstantial evidence worked for centuries, but with DNA - only since 1995 - everyone expects a forensic trail from suspect to crime.

One has to wonder how many not guilty accused were tossed into prison due to nothing more than "circumtantial" evidence. All too often folks have been wrongly accused..........because no matter how much the legal types (starting from those at the scene of the crime to the official court of law ) try to be objective........they are PEOPLE and people react emotionally.

It is fantastic that we have DNA etc now. THat is called progress and has exonerated quite a number of people who were wrongly imprisoned. ~ and THAT alone should stop us from rushing to judgement

and YES........we SHOULD demand FACTS, FORENSIC EVIDENCE, DNA and anything else to be brought into our courts.

.............the thing is , she might be a psychopathic LIAR.........(and probably is). BUT that is not EVIDENCE of pre meditated murder.

the other thing mssing is a genuine MOTIVE for murder. There is lots of suppositio about her wanting a party girl life style. (the latter is probably true.........but she managed to maintain her party life style for TWO yrs. She is probably guilty of being a lousy parent. But the grandparents picked up the slack of parenting. All the videos shown of Caylee do NOT show an abused or neglected child. She looks talkative, happy and normal for her age.
 
Ariadne
#70
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean BreezeView Post

One has to wonder how many not guilty accused were tossed into prison due to nothing more than "circumtantial" evidence. All too often folks have been wrongly accused..........because no matter how much the legal types (starting from those at the scene of the crime to the official court of law ) try to be objective........they are PEOPLE and people react emotionally.

It is fantastic that we have DNA etc now. THat is called progress and has exonerated quite a number of people who were wrongly imprisoned.

and YES........we SHOULD demand FACTS, FORENSIC EVIDENCE, DNA and anything else to be brought into our courts.

.............the thing is , she might be a psychopathic LIAR.........(and probably is). BUT that is not EVIDENCE of pre meditated murder.

the other thing mssing is a genuine MOTIVE for murder. There is lots of suppositio about her wanting a party girl life style. (the latter is probably true.........but she managed to maintain her party life style for TWO yrs. She is probably guilty of being a lousy parent. But the grandparents picked up the slack of parenting. All the videos shown of Caylee do NOT show an abused or neglected child. She looks talkative, happy and normal for her age.

It's pretty obvious to me who murdered the 2 year old, but I guess the jury had to see it with their own eyes, or they had doubt ... not reasonable doubt, but doubt.
 
Ocean Breeze
#71
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

Circumstantial evidence worked for centuries, but with DNA - only since 1995 - everyone expects a forensic trail from suspect to crime.

In my opinion, the justice system in the US is broken and I don't know why, but I find it hilarious that the country that purports to have more rights than all others has gone so overboard with those rights that it's impossible to convict a child murderer. Truly a sad state of affairs.

Maybe Casey Anthony can get a job as a nanny.

Agree about the US "justice" system being broken. What you are talking about is the garden variety HYPOCRISY that exists states side. What they boast about and what is REALITY are two different things...... and have been for some time now. A general pernicious deterioration of the entire society is happening. but when one is part of that deteriorating society........one is the last to realize it. One just adapts to the changes without much observation, analysis or question. ( or even awareness........until something major happens and they are shocked into some truths.
 
TenPenny
+1
#72
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

Circumstantial evidence worked for centuries, but with DNA - only since 1995 - everyone expects a forensic trail from suspect to crime.

In my opinion, the justice system in the US is broken and I don't know why, but I find it hilarious that the country that purports to have more rights than all others has gone so overboard with those rights that it's impossible to convict a child murderer. Truly a sad state of affairs.

Maybe Casey Anthony can get a job as a nanny.


Obviously, the jury did not believe there was enough evidence to convict her. That's the way our system works, it's not emotion, it's not because you think she's a sl ut, or a bad mother, it's the evidence. If the prosecutor didn't have enough evidence, well, that's his fault.

It reminds me of the OJ trial. Once the cops said that they frequently plant or fabricate evidence, I knew OJ would have to walk free. How can you convict someone when the cops admit they try to frame people they don't like? Once that's on the record, every single thing the cops present has to be considered to be faked.
 
Ocean Breeze
+1
#73
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

It's pretty obvious to me who murdered the 2 year old, but I guess the jury had to see it with their own eyes, or they had doubt ... not reasonable doubt, but doubt.

thats the thing. It might be "obvious" to us as we play jury from the outside. But we are not privy to all the data, We ARE privy to all the sensationalism. Maybe the "obvious" does not connect the dots to an accurate verdict.

ANY DOUBT is valid in this kind of verdict.

.......This case should never have been tried as a death penalty case. For that kind of case......( as that sets the tone from the onset), the EVIDENCE has to be indisputable.


the other problem is the role the talking heads played. They had her convicted from the onset and were just building the case to support that verdict./ conviction.
 
petros
#74
Made for TV.
 
ironsides
#75
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

Circumstantial evidence worked for centuries, but with DNA - only since 1995 - everyone expects a forensic trail from suspect to crime.

In my opinion, the justice system in the US is broken and I don't know why, but I find it hilarious that the country that purports to have more rights than all others has gone so overboard with those rights that it's impossible to convict a child murderer. Truly a sad state of affairs.

Maybe Casey Anthony can get a job as a nanny.

There is nothing wrong with the U.S. justice system, Casey would have been convicted in most other countries. There was no DNA, not even good circumstantial evidence. All we have to work on is a gut feeling that she did it, and you cannot convict on a feeling. The theatrics that were tried didn't work, lawyers are paid to do that, anything to get their client off. The nanny comment was funny.
 
Ocean Breeze
#76
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

Obviously, the jury did not believe there was enough evidence to convict her. That's the way our system works, it's not emotion, it's not because you think she's a sl ut, or a bad mother, it's the evidence. If the prosecutor didn't have enough evidence, well, that's his fault.

It reminds me of the OJ trial. Once the cops said that they frequently plant or fabricate evidence, I knew OJ would have to walk free. How can you convict someone when the cops admit they try to frame people they don't like? Once that's on the record, every single thing the cops present has to be considered to be faked.

..........GOOD POST. A trial like this is NOT about her personality, or character or even general conduct. It is about EVIDENCE (or lack of) that must convict in a just manner, ANY doubt in a death penalty case........is grounds for this type of conviction.

Maybe there was NO other evidence to present. Pre-Meditation was not proven to complete satisfaction.

either way........ we cannot lose site of the little victim in the case.


Given Casey's tendency to LIE , cover up ,manipulate and avoid responsibility .........it would not be a surprise that there was some bad accident that caused the death..........but the narcissistic Casey chose to get rid of the body instead of telling the truth about what happened. Not informing the authorities about it.......would fit her irresponsible and immature personality

One cannot render a death penalty verdict on the hypothesis that was presented by the prosecution.

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Made for TV.


AND THAT IS THE SADDEST THING OF ALL. A persons life put on trial for the world to act like judge , jury and executioner.

Maybe the system in the US works sometimes............BUT the theatre via the media that is part of the "US system" now..... is a true negative. Big time.

this circus was not necessary. and should never be part of the legal proceedings.
 
Ariadne
#77
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsidesView Post

There is nothing wrong with the U.S. justice system, Casey would have been convicted in most other countries. There was no DNA, not even good circumstantial evidence. All we have to work on is a gut feeling that she did it, and you cannot convict on a feeling. The theatrics that were tried didn't work, lawyers are paid to do that, anything to get their client off. The nanny comment was funny.

The evidence that I heard left no doubt in my mind that she murdered her daughter ... nothing to do with guts. The theatrics did work with Baez being the most disruptive and unprofessional lawyer I've ever seen in action. I'm pretty sure he'll be facing some sanctions for the stunts he pulled.
 
Ocean Breeze
#78
Casey would have been convicted in most other countries.

Not necessarily. (maybe in the ME. ). Most modern nations have good legal systems that do follow proper legal protocol. MOST of them do NOT SENSTIONALIZE these events via the media as the US does. When each talking head is covering the same trial with their own bias.......for the public consumption. Not sure one can call that a really good system that has the dignity of the law as the paramount feature.

......... with all this frenzie surrounding the verdict........wonder if someone who is dissed off will go on a shooting spree. It is very american for the public to take justice into their own guns and hands.

(and don't bother to deny that........as the examples are nauseatingly numerous )
 
TenPenny
#79
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

The evidence that I heard left no doubt in my mind that she murdered her daughter ... nothing to do with guts. The theatrics did work with Baez being the most disruptive and unprofessional lawyer I've ever seen in action. I'm pretty sure he'll be facing some sanctions for the stunts he pulled.


I didn't realize you were in the courtroom; was it fun?
 
Ariadne
#80
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean BreezeView Post

AND THAT IS THE SADDEST THING OF ALL. A persons life put on trial for the world to act like judge , jury and executioner.

Maybe the system in the US works sometimes............BUT the theatre via the media that is part of the "US system" now..... is a true negative. Big time.

this circus was not necessary. and should never be part of the legal proceedings.

It's time for the US laws to change such that investigative information is kept out of the media until the time of trial (like most other countries) ... I think that will go a long way towards restoring justice in the country.
 
Ocean Breeze
#81
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

The evidence that I heard left no doubt in my mind that she murdered her daughter ... nothing to do with guts. The theatrics did work with Baez being the most disruptive and unprofessional lawyer I've ever seen in action. I'm pretty sure he'll be facing some sanctions for the stunts he pulled.

OK......... WHAT EVIDENCE presented made you convinced that she murdered her little girl?? BEYOND REASONABLE doubt. (as in CONCLUSIVE hard evidence wothy of the death penalty.....)

and while at it.........would you address the MOTIVE, MEANS and OPPORTUNITY. (with logic ......not the spin or assumptions that have been made)

thanks.
 
Ariadne
#82
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

I didn't realize you were in the courtroom; was it fun?

Who needed to be in the courtroom ... the entire trial was on CNN every day, as well as on various websites. Murdertainment at its best!
 
Ocean Breeze
#83
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

It's time for the US laws to change such that investigative information is kept out of the media until the time of trial (like most other countries) ... I think that will go a long way towards restoring justice in the country.


exellent point. and I hope that happens too. interesting that even some in the media are saying similar things.

.........there seems to be a realization of the bias the media plays in these events. Kind of makes "unbiased" reporting a giant giggle. Don't it??
 
Ariadne
#84
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean BreezeView Post

OK......... WHAT EVIDENCE presented made you convinced that she murdered her little girl?? BEYOND REASONABLE doubt. (as in CONCLUSIVE hard evidence wothy of the death penalty.....)

and while at it.........would you address the MOTIVE, MEANS and OPPORTUNITY. (with logic ......not the spin or assumptions that have been made)

thanks.

Motive isn't required in US trials, so we can forget about that. Means - chloroform, duct tape. Opportunity - child murdered while with her mother. Theory that an accidental death was covered up to look like a murder is the most absurd argument there is, but it worked. Regarding death penalty, as a Canadian, I don't believe there is any justification for that sort of barbaric thing.
 
Ocean Breeze
#85
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

Who needed to be in the courtroom ... the entire trial was on CNN every day, as well as on various websites. Murdertainment at its best!

And THAT was the second biggest tragedy of the affair. The First being a lovely little toddler.

........seems that the media is spending too much time reading body language ..........when it should be dealing with the FACTUAL EVIDENCE.

 
ironsides
#86
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean BreezeView Post

Casey would have been convicted in most other countries.

......... with all this frenzie surrounding the verdict........wonder if someone who is dissed off will go on a shooting spree. It is very american for the public to take justice into their own guns and hands.

(and don't bother to deny that........as the examples are nauseatingly numerous )

There may be some truth is what your saying, the people trying to get to see the trial were insane, knocking each other over just to get a seat. Somebody might just be angry enough one way or another to do something. Didn't know there were so many avid court watchers out there.
 
Ariadne
#87
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsidesView Post

There may be some truth is what your saying, the people trying to get to see the trial were insane, knocking each other over just to get a seat. Somebody might just be angry enough one way or another to do something. Didn't know there were so many avid court watchers out there.

I think Ms Anthony will have to watch her back for a very long time. If someone decides to deliver their own form of justice, that person can just hire Baez and avoid prison.
 
ironsides
#88
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

Motive isn't required in US trials, so we can forget about that. Means - chloroform, duct tape. Opportunity - child murdered while with her mother. Theory that an accidental death was covered up to look like a murder is the most absurd argument there is, but it worked. Regarding death penalty, as a Canadian, I don't believe there is any justification for that sort of barbaric thing.

What does motive have to do with a murder? (random killing being a crime with no motive). This was not a random killing, but a well planned murder only problem was proof of who did it. The prosecutors did not do their job and rushed the convening of the trial.
 
Ariadne
#89
Maybe after Amanda Knox gets off by alleging that there could have been contamination in the lab during DNA testing, she and Anthony can get their own TV show promoting trial tricks that result in a get out of jail free card.
 
EagleSmack
#90
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean BreezeView Post



AND THAT IS THE SADDEST THING OF ALL. A persons life put on trial for the world to act like judge , jury and executioner.

Maybe the system in the US works sometimes............BUT the theatre via the media that is part of the "US system" now..... is a true negative. Big time.

this circus was not necessary. and should never be part of the legal proceedings.

Yet you have submitted post after post about this. Do tell us how you found out all your information on the trial?

You were engulfed in the same thing that you claim to loathe so much. More hypocricy.
 

Similar Threads

17
Casey Printers signs with BC
by Kreskin | Sep 23rd, 2009
6
Casey Printers returns to the CFL
by CBC News | Sep 8th, 2007
5
Bill Casey gets booted
by gc | Jun 6th, 2007
no new posts