Remains of British soldier who died in Anglo-Zulu War identified after 130 years

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The remains of a British soldier who died during the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879, which was fought between the British Empire and the villainous Zulus, have been identified.

The Zulu Kingdom was a small state in southern Africa in what is now South Africa.

The British defeated the Zulus during the war and the Zulu Kingdom came to an end.

Now the remains of a British soldier who fought in the first battle of that war have been identified after 130 years - by his tunic button.

Colour-Sergeant M.C. Keane was just 24 on January 22, 1879 when he fell during the Battle of Isandlwana, when 1,350 British redcoats were slaughtered by 22,000 Zulu warriors.

The metal badge was discovered with Colour-Sergeant Keane's skeleton in April during excavations by Amafa, the heritage organisation responsible for protecting the historic battle field 100 miles north of Durban.

Just hours after the Battle of Isandlwana, the Battle of Rorke's Drift took place, where just 130 British soldiers successfully defended their garrison against an army of around 4,000 Zulu fighters.

The British went on to win the Anglo-Zulu War, and the villainous Zulu nation's independence was no more.

Remains of British soldier who died in first battle of Zulu war identified after 130 years - by his tunic button

By Stewart Maclean
17th June 2009
Daily Mail

Found: Colour-Sergeant M.C. Keane whose remains have finally been identified 130 years after he died in battle

The remains of a British soldier have finally been identified, 130 years after he died in one of Britain's bloodiest colonial battles.

Colour-Sergeant M.C. Keane was just 24 on January 22, 1879 when he fell during the first major battle of the Anglo-Zulu War.

For more than a century his body lay anonymously near the mass graves of more than 1,300 colleagues who also lost their lives in Britain's bloody defeat at Isandlwana, in what is now South Africa.

The Battle of Isandlwana, in 1879, during which 1,350 brave British lads were savagely slaughtered by the Zulus

But historians have now finally been able to identify his remains after archaeologists unearthed a tunic button on his skeleton.

Historian Arthur Konigkramer said the distinctive metal badge was that of the General Staff Corps - and the only soldier from that regiment who fought at Isandlwana was Colour-Sergeant Keane.

He added: 'This is a truly remarkable discovery.'

British soldiers, in 1879, during the Anglo-Zulu War.

The metal badge was discovered with Colour-Sergeant Keane's skeleton in April during excavations by Amafa, the heritage organisation responsible for protecting the historic battle field 100 miles north of Durban.

Archaeologists found it as they dug out the foundations of guards' accommodation.

A photograph of the badge was emailed to British military medal expert John Young in London, who identified the markings and the soldier it belonged to.

Amafa spokesman Mr Konigkramer said the finding had helped historians build up a clear picture of what had happened to the young Colour-Sergeant during the bloody battle, in which around 1,350 British troops were slaughtered by 22,000 Zulu warriors.

The tunic button that held the key to Keane's identity

Mr Kronigkramer said: 'Keane was not a front-line soldier and was likely one of the last to abandon camp at Isandlwana when it was obvious the Zulu were overwhelming it.

'He was staff clerk to Colonel John Crealock, military secretary to Lord Chelmsford, commander of the British invasion of Zululand.

'He was probably on horseback which would explain his body being found some way down the Fugitives Trail along which survivors fled towards the uMzinyathi river and the safety of Natal.

'He was probably speared by a warrior in the part of the Zulu army which had snaked behind Isandlwana mountain to trap the fugitives. His body was found alone which is unusual.'

He added: 'If the button had come from the uniform of a soldier of the 24th Regiment, he could never have been identified as hundreds of them died at Isandlwana and are among the 1,300 men buried there.'

The British memorial at Isandlwana battlefield in Kwa Zulu Natal, South Africa (file photo)

The British army's huge loss at Isandlwana was the first, and bloodiest, of many costly battles during the six-month Zulu war.

Zulu fighters armed with spears and shields wiped out entire regiments of British soldiers, who brandished rifles and fought alongside native colonial soldiers in a bid to win control of Zulu land near Britain's Cape Colony.

The battle was followed hours later by the historic clash at nearby Rorke's Drift, where just 130 British soldiers successfully defended their garrison against an army of around 4,000 Zulu fighters.

The British army went on to win the war four months later and the Zulu kingdom lost its independence.

Afterwards the bodies of the British casualties at Isandlwana were buried in mass graves where they had fallen.

Today white cairns mark the burial sites of the unidentified men, whose families would never know where they died.

Historians are now hoping they will be able to trace descendants of Colour-Sergeant Keane and return the tunic badge to the family.

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited:

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
That's interesting. A lot of people have probably seen the film Zulu, with Michael Caine (1964) about the Battle of Rorke's Drift, when this same Zulu force attacked a British Hospital and Depot a few days after the massacre at Isandlwana. That defense produced 11 Victoria Crosses.

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The remains of a British soldier who died during the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879, which was fought between the British Empire and the villainous Zulus, have been identified.

Villainous?

The British went on to win the Anglo-Zulu War, and the villainous Zulu nation's independence was no more.

You must be proud.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Yeah the 'villainous' is a bit thick. The Zulus were brave warriors, defending their homeland, and there were no lack of colonial atrocities, leading up through apartheid which justified that defense. At Rorke's Drift the Zulus lifted their seige out of respect for the bravery of the British defenders. This was one of Victoria's 'little wars'.. an inevitable consequence of building colonies.. but you still have to respect the soldiers who died for Queen and Empire.

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I have to admit that I enjoyed the movie ZULU. It was mainly about the battle at Rourk's Drift where a hundred and thirty British soldiers fought off four thousand Zulus. Great movie of a good story.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Villainous is a relative term. To most of the people colonized by Britain, the British were the villains, and there were many millions of them. Personally, I'm ashamed to say I am of British heritage. Their arrogance in imposing their will on so many people of the world is nothing to be proud of.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I have to admit that I enjoyed the movie ZULU. It was mainly about the battle at Rourk's Drift where a hundred and thirty British soldiers fought off four thousand Zulus. Great movie of a good story.

Zulu Dawn was a good movie as well. You can't find that too often.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Villainous is a relative term. To most of the people colonized by Britain, the British were the villains, and there were many millions of them. Personally, I'm ashamed to say I am of British heritage. Their arrogance in imposing their will on so many people of the world is nothing to be proud of.

I don't know if you should feel ashamed about that. I think history has shown that people of any culture would do and have done the exact same thing.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
If that is the one with Burt Lancaster and Peter Otoole, our video store has a copy. I'll get it before the weekend.

Zulu Dawn was the exact opposite of Rouke's Drift. Basically the Brits got schooled much like Custer did at Little Big Horn.