History or Myth

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Wednesday, May 13, 2009

1994: Myth or History?

"Physical scientists were outraged in 1950 when Immanuel Velikovsky published historical evidence from around the world suggesting that the order and even the number of planets in the solar system had changed within the memory of man. Ideas in nearly every field of scholarship were challenged, but most seriously challenged of all were certain dogmas in the field of astronomy which had only in recent centuries succeeded in convincing mankind that Spaceship Earth was a haven of safety. The emotional outburst from the community of astronomers that so blackened the name Velikovsky and so successfully - if only temporarily - discredited Worlds in Collision has been laid to many causes, from the psychological and the political to simple resentment against invasion of the field by an outsider. Whatever the nature of such intensifying factors, however, I believe it is only fair to acknowledge an underlying and totally sincere scientific disbelief in the historical record." -- Ralph E. Juergens, engineer, 1972

Are uniformitarian cranks, Newtonian crackpots, and anti-Velikovskians stupid enough to think Shoemaker-Levy 9 was a myth? thinkOil Is Mastery: 1994: Myth or History?

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
What the hell had Velikovski to do with Shoemaker/Levy 9/ Or vise versa? Did someone say there weren't any comets around or are you building a strawman to argue against?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Because Pluto's orbit is quite elliptical in shape, at times Pluto travels closer to the Sun than Neptune's orbit. This was the case from January 1979 through February 1999, when Neptune was the farthest planet from the Sun.

So, the order of the planets has changed within man's memory.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
The event was the end of particular pseudo-scientific myth. It would be nice to participate in a discussion surrounding the damage scientific quackery has caused mankind these last three-quarters of a century and how that crime came to be perpetrated on the whole of the inhabitants of this planet. The crime is real. The conspiracy ongoing and the loot huge.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The event was the end of particular pseudo-scientific myth. It would be nice to participate in a discussion surrounding the damage scientific quackery has caused mankind these last three-quarters of a century and how that crime came to be perpetrated on the whole of the inhabitants of this planet. The crime is real. The conspiracy ongoing and the loot huge.
So many of us would like a discussion on a wide variety of topics DB. But sadly, some, not unlike yourself feel it better to just go shooting their mouths off.

Glad I could return the favour to you...;-)

I would rather be left out then right off my rockers.:lol:
I guess you fell off that rocker a while ago then eh? :cool:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
So many of us would like a discussion on a wide variety of topics DB. But sadly, some, not unlike yourself feel it better to just go shooting their mouths off.

Glad I could return the favour to you...;-)

I guess you fell off that rocker a while ago then eh? :cool:

Tried the poltice didn't you? You could never return any favour I may do you. You're a cardboard kettle to my stainless steel pot bear. I know you can't boil your own water or write your own posts. :lol:

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands

What myth? It is not made clear in the opening post. I'm still in the dark as to what this thread is about.