Duke of Connaught's Own Rifles: A Forgotten Battle? Not for this Canadian

alisons

Feb 17, 2009
I'm the proud granddaughter of a former Duke and have lived much of my life surrounded with the stories of his heroic military history. I recently returned home from a short visit to Vancouver and visited the Duke's Parade grounds on Beatty street. The following is an exert from the Duke's own Web site. My grandfather also gave me the privilege of recording his military history quite soon before he died. I'd be happy to share more at a later date-

Following the famous D-Day landings on the 6th June, 1944, the Regiment did not move to France until 23 July 1944, and did not experience action until they participated in the first attempt to close the Falaise Gap, Operation Totalize. The battle for Hill 140.
The plan originally called for Polish Armour to be attacking with the 4th Cdn Armd Div (on the left flank), but due to heavy casualties as the Poles had been bombed by the USAF in error, we were ordered to go it alone. Our Regiment was chosen to lead, and the infantry of the Algonquin Regiment accompanied us into battle on the evening of the 8th August, 1944. The next difficulty arose at night when the Regiment reached the town of Brettevill-le-Rabet. The town had not yet been cleared of the enemy, so Col Worthington decided to bypass the town to the left. They wound up taking the wrong road in error, likely confused by an unmarked railroad which was not on the map. This changed their direction away from their objective at Hill 195, and had them heading towards Hill 140,.When daylight came, A and B Squadrons were still in the valley on the approach to the hill, and they experienced severe losses to the fire of concealed 88's and Tiger tanks of Kurt Meyer's 12th SS Panzer Division. RHQ managed to reach Hill 140 where it formed a box defence along the hedge line. The Algonquins dug in alongside the tanks, and the two regiments fought back.

RHQ tanks - Hill 140.

At this crucial time, communications with Brigade HQ failed mysteriously and the Regiment was left without a link to the rear. One by one the tanks were knocked out, with the surviving crews retrieving weapons from their burning vehicles and carried on the fight. Later that morning, Col May of the Algonquins was severely wounded whilst discussing the situation with Col Worthington. Lt-Col Worthington and all of the Squadron commanders were killed in the fighting, and after fighting for 14 hours after being surrounded by the Germans, the survivors fought their way through the Germans. 48 out of 52 tanks had been destroyed and the Regiment received 133 casualties which was its highest single loss during the war. To the credit of Lt-Col Worthington and his men, they fought bravely , with no consideration or discussion of surrender in the face of overwhelming odds.

Lt-Col D.G. Worthington, killed in action, August 1944.

A number of officers and men were always left out of Battle, in case of disaster, to form the nucleus of the Regiment. Our current Honorary Colonel, Col Toogood became one of the new squadron commanders. A week later the 28th attacked again and this time they were successful. The closing of the Falaise Gap destroyed an entire German Army.

KirbySings

Oct 12, 2010
Allison,

I'm currently researching the history of The Dukes for a film documentary and would love to hear your grandfathers sotry for my research, please drop me a line "kirbysings @ gmail.com"

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
KirbySings, welcome aboard!!! The person you're responding to only made
one post, 20 months ago, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a reply
if I was you....

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
KirbySings, welcome aboard!!! The person you're responding to only made
one post, 20 months ago, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a reply
if I was you....
I was gonna suggest that he send an e-mail through the forum so everyone can keep their anonymity, but I just noticed it seems like that function is missing??????