Walking with Boudicca (part two of history travel series)

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A few days ago I posted the first part of Charlie Connelly's adaptation - in three parts - of his new book "And Did Those Feet", in which he travels the length and breadth of Britain following in the feet of those of long ago, immersing himself in our islands' bloody, gory and violent past.

In this second part of the trilogy, Charlie walks from Norwich, Norfolk to St Albans, Hertfordshire - roughly the route that Boudicca took during her sacking of Roman towns when she decided she would take on the Roman Empire.

Two thousands years go, in the year 60AD, Boudicca, the queen of the Iceni tribe which occupied what is now East Anglia (the area in south eastern England comprising the counties of Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire) set off with her army from her home in order to fight the occupying Romans.

This was the Boudiccan Revolt.

The queen, with her long, flaming red hair (we know this thanks to contemporary eyewitnesses), had a right to be angry. She had just witnessed the Romans the death of her husband, King Prasutagus, which eventually led to the rape her two daughters by the Romans.

She first marched into the Roman settlement of Camulodunum (modern day Colchester in Essex and then the capital of the Roman province of Britannia) and almost burnt it to the ground. Her next stop was Londinium (modern day London), which was also founded by the Romans but was not a great capital city as it is today. The angry British hung up the city's most distinguished women naked, cut their breasts cut off and sewed them into their mouths, before impaling them on stakes. When the Thames was running red with blood, the rebels torched London.

Boudicca's next stop was Verulamium (modern day St Albans). It was also to be her last as the Romans finally defeated the British.

Legend has it that Boudicca is buried under platform 8 of London's King's Cross train station.

Walking with Boudicca: We follow an historic journey - via an Essex underpass and a McDonald's

By Charlie Connelly
12th January 2009
Daily Mail

Early on a Norwich autumn morning, and I was standing naked in a hotel room.

On the bed lay my new walking clothes: walking trousers, expensive pants at the cutting edge of underwear technology, assorted base layers, fleeces and waterproofs.

All items of clothing I'd never owned before yet would spend the next goodness knows how many weeks wearing nothing but.

British great: Boudicca's great journey to lead a rebellion against the Romans in AD60 is retraced by writer Charlie Connelly

I was about to embark on the first in a sequence of journeys tracing routes taken by some of the most famous and not-so-famous figures in the history of these islands.

We're surrounded by history, it's alive and everywhere, yet we take it for granted.
Determined to immerse myself in our past, and to break away from my sedentary lifestyle, I was going to recreate some of these great journeys that have shaped our island story. On foot.

On this particular walk I would be following in the footsteps of Boudicca who, in AD60, led a rebellion against the Roman overlords, marching on Colchester, London and what is now St Albans, laying waste to each in turn.

Which is how I found myself in a Travelodge in Norwich, contemplating my pants.

I had a good 25 miles ahead of me that day, much farther than I'd ever walked before, but I had a sense of bravado.

I mean, it's only walking. How hard can it be?

As soon as I set out, things started to fall apart. I realised I didn't actually know which way to turn. I needed to head south, but I had no idea which way was south.

While I had the best clothing available to man, I didn't have a compass.

I found a map in the hotel lobby and discovered that I was, in fact, facing the right way.

I set off with a determined stride and within an hour-and-a-half was strolling into the village of Caistor St Edmund, where I would take up the trail of my first historic fellow-traveller.

We know very little about Boudicca. We don't even know whether her name really was Boudicca, or where she lived.

But we do know that she came as close as anyone to driving the Romans out of Britain, fired by vengeance, injustice and the cruellest sense of grievance induced in any mother from any period in history.

'She was very tall in build,' wrote the Roman historian Cassius Dio, 'most terrifying in her demeanour, the glint in her eye most fierce. A great mound of red hair fell to her waist, around her neck was a large golden torc and she wore a tunic of many colours upon which a cloak was fastened with a brooch.'

Legend: A depiction of Boudicca and with her daughters

She was, he added, 'possessed of a greater intelligence than is usually found in women'.

Boudicca was the wife of Prasutagus, king of the Iceni, a wealthy tribe whose lands covered most of what is now Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire at the time of the Roman conquest.

Archaeological finds of fine clothing and jewellery suggest they were big on ostentatious displays of opulence, just as in centuries from now East Anglian archaeologists might turn up hoop earrings, sovereign rings and thick gold chains.

Prasutagus was a client king, permitted to retain his status as long as he didn't resist Roman rule.

Around AD60 he died suddenly and the trouble began. In his will he left half his estate to his two daughters and the other half to the Emperor Nero. When this news reached Catus Decianus, the Roman procurator of Britain, he was furious.

As far as Catus was concerned, the Iceni lands were not Prasutagus's to bequeath to anyone other than the Roman Empire.

He overreacted to a quite unbelievable degree, sending soldiers into the Iceni lands to pillage the property of their nobles.

For the late king's family, things were to get much, much worse. Catus had Boudicca, queen of the Iceni, flogged while her daughters were raped in front of her by Roman soldiers.

It was an inexplicable act: Boudicca, by virtue of her marriage to a client king, would have been officially a Roman citizen, and any corporal punishment of a woman was almost unthinkable in the Roman Empire.

Rape was an offence punishable by execution.

The burning sense of injustice felt by Boudicca and her people was so intense you can almost sense it today - this was one of the most despicable episodes in the history of these islands.

The resentment that had festered against Roman rule for the best part of two decades exploded into angry rebellion.

Historic: Colchester in Essex as it looks today - it was once the Roman capital and called Camulodunum

The Iceni gathered into a huge, seething mass of people to rise up against the oppressor that had taken away their freedom and violated their queen.

Under Boudicca's leadership, the Iceni and their neighbours would set off for the Roman capital at Camulodunum, modern Colchester, for an orgy of destruction and murder.

We don't know from where Boudicca's army set out, so I had chosen the village of Caistor St Edmund, close to the main route to Camulodunum.

Most of the road along which Boudicca would have passed is now the A12, but on the map there was a stretch marked 'Roman road' running parallel to the main thoroughfare for a good distance just south of Ipswich.

Once I was through the suburbs I passed beneath the A12 through a foot tunnel and emerged on the old road. This had once been the main road south from Ipswich, but nothing came up here any more. Some plastic bags whipped around in circles in the wind. It was quiet; I was all alone.

For the first time, I felt like I was peeking through the curtains of time. This was the very same route as Boudicca and her army would have taken.

The trundling carts passed along here. The Iceni, grimly determined and driven by vengeance, would have walked with Boudicca at their head, a vast procession of men, women, children and horses spread wide across the road and beyond into the fields, knowing that with every step, they were closer to justice, or at least their version of it.

Walking in their footsteps, I could feel the butterflies in my stomach, the feeling that every step was into the unknown.

That evening, as I soaked in a hot bath at a Colchester hostelry, I reflected on what Boudicca and her cohorts did to the Roman capital when they reached it.

Camulodunum had all the trappings of a major Roman town - a senate building, shops, a theatre and a temple dedicated to the late Emperor Claudius, conqueror of Britain.

For a capital, Camulodunum was curiously lax in its defences.

It was home to hundreds of army veterans who, having completed their 25 years of military service, were given plots of land.

Most of the Roman military forces in Britain were engaged in a concerted attempt to wipe out the druids on Anglesey. Hence Camulodunum had at best a skeleton defence force.

When news of Boudicca's travelling hordes reached the town, the locals pressed Catus Decianus, the man responsible for triggering the uprising, to provide military assistance.

He mustered barely 200 troops then hitched up his toga and hotfooted it to Gaul before Boudicca could get hold of him.

Boudicca's forces approached Colchester meeting no opposition. Nevertheless, they fell upon the place in a storm of aggression and destruction. Property was looted and burned to the ground.

The soldiers would have provided only token resistance to the thousands of screaming, blue-painted warriors descending on the town. Nothing and no one would have been spared.

Big change: London's skyline today - Boudicca would have seen a totally different view of the city then called Londinium, when she mutilated the city's most distinguished women and impaled their bodies on spikes

Those who remained barricaded themselves inside the Temple of Claudius, until the Britons scaled the walls and began to dismantle the roof, dropping on to the survivors and killing them where they stood.

It's likely that Boudicca's forces would have hung around Camulodunum for a couple of days, celebrating, praying and dividing up the loot, before heading south to the port of Londinium.

Londinium was a lesser focus of Roman power, but economically important to the occupying people. The Roman road from Colchester to Chelmsford and thence to the outskirts of London is again the A12, so I struck out on a parallel path and was delighted to find, at one stage, that I was crossing Boadicea Way.

I passed through Chelmsford, eventually arriving on the outskirts of Brentwood. After days in the countryside, I'd hit suburbia.

Huge mock Tudor mansions lined the road. Blonde women with big earrings drove past me in four-wheel-drive vehicles.

Suddenly I had my breath taken away. I crested a hill while looking at the map, and when I looked up there, before me, was the London skyline with its familiar NatWest Tower, Gherkin and St Paul's Cathedral. Boudicca would have come over this hill - albeit to witness a very different skyline.

Londinium was a fairly new settlement of 30,000 inhabitants. Goods and slaves were exported here, while imports were unloaded in what would have been a lively, noisy place. It would have been distinctly muted that day, though, as Suetonius Paulinus, the commander of the Roman forces, had arrived with his cavalry.

He had two options. The first: to assemble as many soldiers as he could to defend the town. However, he'd heard about the devastation of Camulodunum and knew that the Britons would be arriving in even greater numbers.

The alternative was to evacuate Londinium, leave it to the mercy of the Iceni and their allies, and muster a large Roman force to meet them at full strength somewhere down the road. He chose the latter option.

Londinium was doomed. I followed the route of the old Roman road through Romford and Ilford and on beyond Stratford. When Boudicca's forces arrived, Londinium would have been almost deserted.

Cassius Dio describes what the rebels did to the locals who were left. The city's most distinguished women were hung up naked, their breasts cut off and sewn into their mouths, before being impaled on stakes.

When the Thames was running red with blood, the rebels torched London. Many people were burnt alive. Boudicca's rebellion had no political cause at its heart: this was sheer, visceral vengeance.

Once Londinium had been ransacked, the rebels made for the road to Verulamium, a major seat of the wealthy Catuvellauni tribe, now St Albans.

The Romans had routed Watling Street, a major thoroughfare, through Verulamium. It was an obvious target.

The road is the A5, starting at the bottom of London's Edgware Road (near where one of the 7/7 bombings occurred in 2005), and it's fairly certain that Boudicca would have joined it where it met the road from Camulodunum.

It's a spot now occupied by Marble Arch (it's also the spot where the Tyburn Tree gallows once stood for centuries until 1783), where I found myself early one blustery morning.

It was about 20 miles to St Albans, a journey that would have taken Boudicca and her cumbersome caravan two days, if not more. I was aiming to do it in one.

The coffee shops and sandwich bars soon gave way to a procession of Turkish and Arabic emporia. I passed within a hefty six of Lord's cricket ground and then, at Maida Vale, the spot where the headmaster Philip Lawrence was killed in 1995.

On through Cricklewood and its synagogues, Wembley Stadium to my left, then Edgware and the general hospital where I was born.

By six o'clock that evening, I was in St Albans. The next morning I headed to Verulamium Park, the site of the old town sacked by Boudicca. It was a peaceful morning, the sun glinting off the damp grass.

By the time Boudicca arrived, Verulamium was deserted. The locals had legged it, taking everything of value with them. The wind direction made it harder to burn down the town.

The destruction was still extensive, but there was a sense that the fun was going out of all this looting and burning.

The lack of a 'real' battle was leaving some sections of the mob bored and unfulfilled. The sacking of Verulamium would prove to be the Boudiccan revolt's last success.

I made my way to the edge of town. My step was slowing tangibly, too, as my first historical journey was coming to an end. This is where I would leave Boudicca; where the historical trail goes cold.

The inevitable big battle between Boudicca's mob and the Roman army did take place, but nobody can say for sure where it was. Mancetter, near Atherstone in Warwickshire, seems the most likely location.

Either way, the Britons were defeated and Boudicca was never heard of again.

Many surmise that she chose to take her own life by drinking poison rather than suffer the ignominy of being taken to Rome and paraded through the streets. Nothing is known of what became of her daughters.

Is Boudicca buried here?

There was a groundless rumour in Victorian times that Boudicca is buried beneath Platform 8 at King's Cross Station in London, while in 2006 Birmingham archaeologists claimed they'd found her grave in King's Norton, next to McDonald's.

I stood for a while, looking along Watling Street, picturing a noble, charismatic queen standing proud on her chariot at the head of her warriors, their carts rumbling along the track, heading towards her destiny.

Then I turned around, retraced my steps and began to walk forward almost a thousand years. I had an appointment with a man whose epic journey changed Britain's history for ever.

I was about to follow in the footsteps of Harold, the man who could have been, and so nearly was, one of Britain's greatest ever kings.

• ADAPTED from And Did Those Feet by Charlie Connelly, published this week by Little, Brown at £12.99. To order a copy (p&p free), call 0845 155 0720.

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Part three of this trilogy sees Connelly on the trail of the Battle of Hastings.

1066, like 1966, is a date that holds a lot of signifance in English history. But whereas 1966 was the year of a great English victory, 1066 was the year of a great English defeat.

Connelly walks from near York (where the Battle of Stamford Bridge took place days before the Battle of Hastings), in northern England, all the way down to England's south coast, following the route that the English Army would have taken to meet the Normans.

Along the way, Charlie passes through the Cambridgeshire village of Etton where, during the English Civil War in he 1640s, King Charles I's chaplain was cornered by the Roundheads. They chased him onto a roof where he eventually dangled, clinging onto a gargoyle for dear life. The Roundheads decided to make him fall by chopping his hands off. To this day, on the anniversary of his death, the chaplain's handless ghost is still seen wandering the area.

Poor King Harold was only King of England for just a few months, following the death of King Edward the Confessor, when King William of Normandy arrogantly decided that he wanted to become King of England....

Getting your kicks on Route 1066: Go past the pub and ignore ghost of man with hands cut off. We follow the footsteps of King Harold

By Charlie Connelly
12th January 2009
Daily Mail

Go past the pub, left at the old chocolate factory and ignore the ghost of the man with his hands cut off.

In the final part of his series, Charles Connelly (that's him in the middle, below) follows King Harold's footsteps and gets his kicks on Route 1066.

Bayeux tapestry: The Norman cavalry charge the English infantry... but fortunately, Charlie Connelly avoids the worst of it

A sleepy, sun-dozed autumn afternoon. I'm sitting outside a pub, about to begin the second of my journeys through history.

After following in the footsteps of Boudicca, I had moved forward a whole millennium, to a crucial turning point in Britain's history.

I would be tracing a journey that would take me nearly the length of England, and whose outcome would still be felt almost 1,000 years later.

Across the road some children are feeding ducks. Two mothers with pushchairs trundle towards the Co-op as the sun pushes its weak warmth across the street.

Could this really be the site of one of the most decisive and bloody battles ever to have taken place on English soil?

I can see the memorial from here, a modern space enclosed by low brick walls, with benches flanking a small standing stone, on the edge of a car park dotted with fallen leaves. A bunch of dying, but vividly red, carnations has been laid on the plinth, one drooping forlornly over the edge. Set into the wall is a marble plaque, with two golden battleaxes crossed over the date 1066.

It's a date familiar to anyone with the slightest grasp of English history, but today I'm far from Hastings, around eight miles east of York. 'The Battle of Stamford Bridge', it says, 'King Harold of England defeated his brother Tostig and King Hardrada of Norway here on 25 September 1066'.

It was one of the greatest victories in English history, yet barely three weeks later it would be almost forgotten, as the man behind the victory lay dead in a field some 300 miles away, his kingdom lost. Harold Godwineson was destined to go down in history as the man who lost the Battle of Hastings.

Histories of the British monarchy nearly all start with William the Conqueror. Yet Harold was a brilliant man who, in the short time he ruled, steadied and united a turbulent nation and, here at Stamford Bridge, the start of my journey, saw off the Viking threat for ever despite having just marched his army north from London at terrific speed, before being obliged to turn around and head straight south to Battle, the town outside Hastings where history shuddered and shifted on its axis one autumn day.

Harold was crowned king on January 6, 1066, following the death of Edward the Confessor. Edward had left no heirs, and the next in line was a small boy, too young to rule, so the throne passed, at least for the time being, to Harold, the most influential noble in the land. He had been the king's brother-in-law, chief power-broker, diplomat and a brilliant military tactician who had recently put down a Welsh rebellion using minimal force.

On coming to the throne, he was immediately popular, overturning unjust laws and uniting the kingdom. But Harold had his enemies. Across the English Channel, William, Duke of Normandy, believed the throne should be his, and would do whatever it took to gain it.

Then there was Harold's brother, Tostig, who had been a cruel and unpopular Earl of Northumbria, until he was ousted by rebels. To Tostig's fury, Harold had sided with the rebels and had him exiled.

But at the end of that month Halley's Comet, regarded as a prophecy of disaster, was visible across much of the country. William had been preparing to invade, but adverse winds kept his ships in Norman harbours. By early September, with winter coming, it seemed that the threat was over, at least until spring.

Revisiting history: Actors stage the largest ever re-enactment of the Battle of Hastings at Battle Abbey, Battle, East Sussex in 2006

Meanwhile the vengeful Tostig had made an alliance with the King of Norway, Harald Hardrada - the 'thunderbolt of the north'. In the late summer of 1066 Harald's fleet of 300 ships joined Tostig's smaller force in the North Sea, before landing at Riccall, inland on the River Ouse.

The invaders fought a victorious battle against local forces at Fulford on 20 September, then occupied York. Harold marched rapidly with a large force from London and arrived in Tadcaster, south-west of York, four days after the battle.

He learned that the Norse forces were at Stamford Bridge and set off immediately.

The Norse army was completely wrong-footed: most of them had left their chain mail on their ships. Medieval battles were usually brief affairs - a couple of hours at most - but this encounter lasted nearly the whole day, until it emerged that Harald and Tostig had been killed.

Harold had earned a magnificent victory. Only 24 of the 300-plus ships of Norse troops returned home. The Vikings never threatened Britain again and would make no further incursions into English territory until the advent of flatpack furniture.

Today the battlefield is hidden beneath a housing estate. I made my way towards the modern bridge, passing a public toilet block on which three schoolboys had painted the story of the battle in an impressive pastiche of the Bayeux Tapestry.

On a local level at least, the battle has not been forgotten.

I followed the sun's progress west towards York, where Harold had headed after the battle. Before long the silhouette of York Minster was visible on the horizon.

Originally a small church whose origins stretch back to AD627, it was enlarged and remodelled over the centuries to its present majestic form, and by the time the sun set I was passing through the coolness of its shadow.

The next day I spent a while in the silence of the nave thinking about the walk ahead and the man I was following. It's almost certain that Harold would have prayed at this site after the Battle of Stamford Bridge. I noticed a rack of candles and lit one for Harold Godwineson.

In the thick of it: The actors - as Normans and English - get stuck in

As well as praying, Harold had come to York to celebrate his victory and rest his weary forces. Within a few days, however, he had received some startling news. On 27 September the winds had shifted and William, taking advantage of Harold's absence in the North of England, had set off across the Channel, landed at Pevensey and moved on to Hastings.

Harold immediately gathered up his victorious army and set off south from York. It seems likely that he would have travelled by the old Roman roads, the most direct routes, which I set out to follow.

As I left the town, I passed the sites of the old Terry's chocolate and Rowntree's sweet factories and was soon in the countryside.

At Copmanthorpe I rested on a bench by the village's war memorial, a simple cross
with the dead of the 1914-18 conflict listed on one side of the base, 1939-45 on the other. As I ran my eye down the list of names it struck me that Harold's army would have been made up of men like this, ordinary lads called to serve their country, heading off into the unknown with a sense of duty, excitement and fear, in the knowledge that there was a fair chance they'd never return. A millennium may have passed but for the local young men, at times of conflict little had changed.

I passed on through Doncaster and thence to the Great North Road, a once-major artery now replaced by the nearby A1(M). At Lincoln, after nearly a hundred miles of walking, I rested for a day before following the Roman road south again to the village of Etton, near Peterborough, where history had another surprise for me.

A lady told me that at nearby Woodcroft Castle, Charles I's chaplain was cornered by Cromwellian forces during the Civil War. He was chased on to the roof and over a parapet, only to cling desperately to a gargoyle. Uncharitably, the Roundheads loosened his grip by leaning over and chopping off his hands. Even then they had to beat him to death with musket butts as he emerged from the moat with stumps a-spurting. Some say they tore his tongue out and dismembered him alive.

You can apparently still hear his screams on the anniversary of his gory demise.

This was the kind of place that underlines just what I have in mind when I claim that we are surrounded by history.

eps I travelled on to Peterborough, a city Harold would have known well, and where he would have spent the night, before heading south through sun-drenched countryside and a succession of market towns until eventually, footsore and weary, I reached Waltham Abbey.

The town was probably Harold's favourite place, somewhere he could escape the rigours and strains of political life. He'd been given the Waltham estate as a gift from Edward. A deeply religious man, Harold rebuilt the church there on a grander scale and had stopped there on his way south.

An English soldier

According to legend, it's also where his body is buried If I was ever going to get a tangible feeling for the man I'd come to admire greatly, it would be here. I sat in a pew and tried to imagine the king at prayer. Harold was an unquestionably a brave man and a great leader, but he can't have looked ahead to the coming confrontation without apprehension.

I left the abbey and followed a wooden fingerpost to King Harold's Tomb - a symbolic memorial, rather than an actual crypt. It was in the shade of a small tree, a raised slab with a rough-hewn stone marker at its head that read 'Harold King of England, Obit. 1066'.

On the slab lay a small bunch of red carnations, just like at Stamford Bridge. I dropped to my haunches, touched the stone, and set off again - until I found myself turning back a few hundred yards down the path. At a nearby shop, I bought a bunch of white carnations and retraced my foosteps to lay them on the tomb of one of England's greatest men, whose achievements I was determined to celebrate.

Then I turned towards London. For one night, I would sleep in my own bed, but my eventual destination lay another few days' route march ahead. When I eventually got there, walking up a steep hill into Battle, the sun was setting an appropriately sanguine shade of red.

Next morning I walked out on to the battlefield. Standing with your back to Battle Abbey, the well-maintained ruins of the church commissioned by William on the spot where Harold fell, and looking out across the grassy undulations, trees and ponds below, it's impossible to tell that here, on this hill, English history changed for ever.

On arrival, Harold moved quickly to assemble his men at the top of Senlac Hill, where I stood. It was a terrific position for the Saxons. The Norman archers would be rendered nearly impotent - from such a low position their arrows would fall short. The Norman cavalry and infantry would have to attack up the steep hill.

Harold had neither reason nor desire to attack; he just needed to hold his position.

By around nine o'clock the two armies faced each other across the grassy expanse, the Saxons banging their shields and screaming their warcry of 'Ut! Ut! Ut!' (Out! Out! Out!) It would have presented an unnerving sight to the Normans.

According to legend, William's minstrel, Taillefer, galloped out into the no man's land between the armies and performed an inspiring ballad before plunging into the Saxon shield wall and immediately being hacked to death. At this the battle began, the Normans launching missiles at the English followed by a charge up the hill.

Unlucky: 'The English were holding out against everything the Normans threw at them. They were winning.'

The Saxons responded with missiles of their own and the charge faltered. Next, William's knights attacked the English shield wall and their opponents responded by hitting out with axes. The wall stood firm. The English were holding out against everything the Normans threw at them. They were winning.

Then, around lunchtime, a rumour passed along the French lines that William had been killed - the Bayeux Tapestry reports that he removed his helmet to prove otherwise - causing a phalanx of Breton soldiers on the Norman left wing to break ranks and run back down the hill.

Harold's orders would have been firm. Maintain the shield wall at all times. But the right flank of the English shield wall broke and set off down the hill in pursuit of their fleeing opponents. The Norman cavalry quickly cut off the rampaging Saxons and hacked every last one of them to pieces.

It was a crucial point in the battle, but the majority of Harold's army still stood firm. All Harold had to do was hold out for the rest of the day. As the long, exhausting battle went into late afternoon things looked grim for William. Once darkness fell, all would be lost and his claim to the throne doomed.

William marshalled his remaining archers, cavalry and infantry and ordered them into one last push. The cavalry rounded and charged, the infantry gathered and the archers collected every fallen arrow they could find and launched them at the English forces.

Harold was killed at this point. No one can say for sure it was the falling arrow in the eye of legend. Others claim he suffered an even more barbaric death, being beheaded, castrated and hacked to pieces. Ultimately, of course, we cannot know how he died.

BUT, however he fell, word soon spread through the English ranks: Harold was dead. Their spirit was broken and so were their lines; the majority fled, pursued by the invaders. In a stroke of the illest fortune, the battle and the kingdom were lost.

I walked up the battlefield to the ruined abbey and crunched across the gravel to a stone slab on the ground. It represented the end of my 300-plus mile journey alongside the man who, in my opinion, deserves to be right up there in the pantheon of great men. A man whose abilities and far-sighted outlook led him to within a whisker of seeing off the challenge that changed the country for ever.

I approached the slab slowly, reluctantly, as if by avoiding it the outcome of the battle might become different somehow, and read the mildew-flowered inscription: '. . . to commemorate the victory of Duke William on 14 October 1066.

The high altar was placed to mark the spot where King Harold died.' A gust blew up and made the trees rustle. A wind-borne oak leaf danced into view, hung there for a moment, and dropped gently on to the slab with barely a sound. I bade a sad and silent farewell to Harold and turned away.

Through walking in his shoes, and those of Boudicca before him, I had learned so much about them, their plights, their hopes and fears, the motivations behind their actions that would ring down the centuries.

The places I had seen and the people I met along the way were all uplifting, gratifying evidence that history is irrefutably alive, not just in textbooks and museums, but in towns and villages, abbeys and pubs, and, perhaps most of all, in the footpaths, roads and thoroughfares along which people have passed for centuries, undertaking journeys that would shape their lives - and ours.

dailymail.co.uk