Survivors' tales of the Great War, 90 years on

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Next month marks the 90th anniversary of the end of the Great War, a mainly European conflict in which great empires, such as the British Empire (with the world's largest navy), Russia (with the world's largest army) and the Ottoman Empire, clashed.

There are just two British survivors of this conflict, Harry Patch and Henry Allingham.

Henry was born in the Victorian Era. He is 112 years old - the oldest man in Europe - and Britain has had six monarchs and 21 prime ministers during his lifetime. He is the only surviving founder member of the RAF, the world's oldest airforce, and the world's biggest in 1918.

Harry Patch is 110 years old, and never spoke about his exploits in WWI until he was 80.

WWI is the conflict in which the British were the first to use the tank, and one of the frst conflicts in which they didn't wear their famous redcoats.

Survivors' tales of the Great War, 90 years on

Next month marks the 90th anniversary of the end of the Great War, a conflict which consumed the lives of more than 20 million soldiers and civilians. Today just a handful of men who served and fought in the war survive. Sean Rayment profiles the last two British men who fought in the conflict.

25 Oct 2008
The Telegraph

Henry Allingham is the last survivor of the RAF from the Great War, and is seen here speaking to Flt Lt Anthony 'Parky' Parkinson of 29 Squadron Photo: ANDREW CROWLEY

Henry Allingham was desperate to do his bit when the call went up for volunteers at the outbreak of the Great War in 1914.

But his desperately-ill mother begged him to stay at home and tend to her. Had she not, Mr Allingham, like so many of his generation, may well have perished on the battlefields of northern France.

But after her death the young man, from Clapham, south London, enlisted in the Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS) as an engineer in 1915, and went onto serve in the some of the most bloody battles of the entire conflict.

Despite the odds, Mr Allingham survived and today, at 112, he is Britain's oldest living man and a living link to one of the greatest human catastrophes of the modern age.

Mr Allingham was born in 1896 when Queen Victoria was still on the throne and powered flight was still more than six years away.

WORLD WAR I MILITARY DEATHS (ENTENTE POWERS)

Russia: 30%
France: 25%
Britain: 16%
Italy: 12%
Serbia: 8%
Romania: 6%
United States: 2%
Others: 1%

His hearing or eyesight might not be what it was, but according to those who care for him at the blind ex-serviceman's charity, St Dunstan's, he still enjoys a joke and his mind is as sharp as ever.

Astonishingly, Mr Allingham can still recall seeing WG Grace playing cricket in 1903. He also remembers the frightening sight of shells ricocheting across the sea during the Battle of Jutland, which was fought off the coast of Denmark in the North Sea in June 1916.

The following year, having survived the battle, which claimed the lives of more than 6,000 British sailors, Mr Allingham was posted to the Western Front where he helped to prepare aircrews for the Ypres Offensive and flew in the rear cockpit of aircraft armed with two rifles and later a Lewis Gun and a bag of bombs.

On April 1, 1918, the Royal Flying Corps and the RNAS were merged into the Royal Air Force and today he is the oldest surviving member of the service.

Put in context, Mr Allingham's longevity seems almost impossible. He was born 48 years to the day before the D-Day invasion of Normandy, and Britain has had six monarchs and 21 Prime Ministers in the 112 years that he has been alive. His two daughters, Jean and Betty, died decades ago and his grandson, David Gray, is now 60.

WORLD WAR I MILITARY DEATHS (CENTRAL POWERS)

Germany: 52%
Austro-Hungary: 35%
Ottoman Empire: 10%
Bulgaria: 3%

When asked for the secret of long life earlier this year, Mr Allingham said: "I don't think there's a particular reason. The only thing I can say is all my life I have lived within my limitations, take life slowly, don't get any stress or strains. The more birthdays I enjoy the longer I live."

Speaking to the BBC last year, Mr Allingham said: "I did not know that in my unit there were 4,700 casualties, half of them missing, believed killed in action, blown to smithereens. There were bits and pieces everywhere. No wonder the rats survived.

"I've got to thank those fellows for what they did. If the numbers who died had died in the Second World War I don't know if there would have been a Britain."

British soldiers cook geese sent to them from home, Christmas 1914

Harry Patch is the last Tommy of the Great War - the last British man alive to survive the unmitigated slaughter of the battle of Passchendaele in 1917 in which almost a million soldiers of all nationalities were killed or wounded.

Mr Patch never spoke about his exploits in the Great War until his 80th birthday. He was born into the gentle life of rural Somerset in 1898 and grew up in the village of Coombe Down, near Bath. He left school at 15 and trained as a plumber. War broke out when Mr Patch was 16 and he was conscripted into the Army two years later, where he became part of a small close-knit team trained to use the Lewis Gun.

During a BBC interview in 2003, he recalled the moment he came face-to-face with a German soldier and admitted that he could not shoot him dead. "I had about five seconds to make the decision. I brought him down, but I didn't kill him," he said.

Mr Patch should have died 91 years ago on a dark night in September 1917 when a German "whizz-bang" shell exploded among his battalion just as they were being pulled out of the front line and were moving to the rear over open ground. A shell splinter struck Mr Patch in the groin and one other member of the team survived. The rest were blown to pieces.

"It killed Number Three – he came from Truro – and Number Four and Number Five. Jack and Jill we called those two. They came from Falmouth. Number Three was known as Maudy. There was an actress of that name. He had a good sense of humour. I can remember the shell bursting. I saw the flash and I must have passed out."

Mr Patch was one of the lucky ones who had "copped a Blighty", a wound serious enough to warrant his eventual evacuation from France to Britain, where, during his recovery, he met his first wife. The couple were together for 56 years and had two sons, who have both since died.

Mr Patch was too old to fight in the Second World War and instead worked as a sanitary engineer in an American camp in southern England.

But despite being something of a national hero, the 110-year-old former private in the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry is not proud of his longevity.

"I don't like it," he said last year in an interview with The Daily Telegraph. "I sit there and think. And some nights I dream – of that first battle. I can't forget it.

"I fell in a trench. There was a fella there. He must have been about our age. He was ripped shoulder to waist with shrapnel. I held his hand for the last 60 seconds of his life. He only said one word: 'Mother'. I didn't see her, but she was there. No doubt about it. He passed from this life into the next, and it felt as if I was in God's presence. I've never got over it. You never forget it. Never."

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
typical from the brits....... no mention of the monumental contribution that Canada made in that war.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
actually....it's typical of both the brits and the americans to discount Canada's contributions in any war.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Here's a quick over view

The first Canadian contingent, numbering 33,000, reached England soon after the outbreak of war in 1914, and it was in the thick of the fighting on the continent a few months later in the second battle of Ypres. By 1916 the Canadians had formed four divisions, with a fifth to provide reinforcements. The four divisions of the Canada Corps earned an outstanding reputation as a fighting force. More significant, however, was the fact that Canada was playing a respectable role on the world stage, a role that would soon help undo its colonial status.

Before the war ended in 1918, more than 619,000 officers and men had enlisted, including some 22,000 who had served in the British Royal Air Force. More than 60,000 Canadians were killed in action or died of wounds, a terribly heavy toll in relation to the country's population. Over 66 million shells were produced in Canadian factories. The gross national debt soared from 544 million dollars in 1914 to almost 2 1/2 billion dollars in 1919, most of the money being raised in Canada itself through public war loans.

The Canadian forces at the outset were made up wholly of volunteers. Casualties and the rapidly accelerating pace of the war made the bitter question of conscription a major issue by 1917. Borden met it by forming a coalition government of Conservatives and Liberals, though Laurier refused to join the coalition. In the election of that year, Quebec was almost unanimous in its opposition to the conscription policy that was supported elsewhere across the country. The political solidarity of the province during the next 25 years was largely derived from its memory of that episode.

On the battlefronts in France and Belgium, Canadians of both nationality backgrounds made magnificent contributions to the final victory. They faced with heroism the first poison-gas attack in the history of warfare during the second battle of Ypres in 1915. Other engagements in which Canadian forces earned the admiration of all the Allies included the battles of Mount Sorrel (1916), the Somme (1916), and Vimy Ridge (1917). The victory of Passchendaele Ridge in the autumn of 1917 alone cost 16,000 Canadian casualties. In 1918 during the closing months of the war, Canadians again saw heavy action at Amiens, Cambrai, and Mons.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Another interesting things about the great war is that we did it all over again twenty years later for the same bankers. Ha, how dumb is that, contribute hundreds of thousands of young men to be shot or blown to pieces whenever they need to spur the economy. We don't remember anything when the bull**** and the bands start up we just march on over to the other side and die in grotesque heaps of mangled flesh, again, it's our patriotic duty.
The stories of the old warriors are always interesting, it dosn't matter what side they were on, they were all stupid young men.

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Another interesting things about the great war is that we did it all over again twenty years later for the same bankers. Ha, how dumb is that, contribute hundreds of thousands of young men to be shot or blown to pieces whenever they need to spur the economy. We don't remember anything when the bull**** and the bands start up we just march on over to the other side and die in grotesque heaps of mangled flesh, again, it's our patriotic duty.
The stories of the old warriors are always interesting, it dosn't matter what side they were on, they were all stupid young men.

I am hoping that 'what bush has done', will have one 'upside', that the average person on the street, will open their eyes, and see all of this for 'what it is', and not be 'blindsided', and have 'blind obedience' ever again, and will stand up and say NO, not again, we will not let
you or anyone do this to us, we have had enough.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Lest We forget/They should be celebrated

We will always remember
Canadian soldiers
.............Truly stand for Canada...Anyone who would risk their life to protect our Canadian home, our values as individuals and as a whole .This needs to be celebrated.!.U .R .True patriots! , Serving a GREATER purpose...! We Canadians and Canada thank you all !

Workers......Who keep the foundation of Canada solid...Giving their time and effort making the things that keep Canadians Happy
..Healthy ..Safe and proud to be Canadian!....
Bosses .... Who treat their empolyees with respect and dignity .They keep us motivated to move forward when all may seem monotinous /meaningless and useless!
Volunteers......Who give up their time, to work with those, who may otherwise not have the opportunity to be happy. You help Canadians enjoy all the fun Canada has to offer.You give Canadians hope in times of need..!
Judges / correctional workers/ lawyers...All those who have to balance and sustain a complicated system while working with those who have fallen through the cracks...
Teachers and educators .....You give our children direction, focus, motivation. You stretch the mind to get the most out of our children..Help them realize their dreams / their goals .Reach their true potential...Help them find their indentities in the wholeness......and so much more.... It would take too much space and time to list all the ways in which you contribute to the betterment of Canadians and Canada..We thank-you...Even all the english teachers who always griped over my bad english habits! lol
Media./Artists /writers .....You feed our childrens imaginations with dreams /hopes and aspirations. You drive them forward and help them make the most of their minds and themselves...Thanks to those who send a clear true Canadian Voice to the world ..Thank-you for bringing Canada's message to the front lines through debate and discussion ...You help Keep Canadians engaged with their surroundings when it may seem useless. You solidify and advertise our freedoms on behalf of Canada and Canadians!..
.....You represent and defend our freedoms in many forms ...Help sort and distinquish our Canadian culture from others..You give us hope and faith in times when all seems dark and hopeless!. Sometimes You bring the message out through darkness and hopelessness(lol)...Ok...perhaps this section is a little longer because I am a hobby writer/musician.lol....
Scientists / inventors. /visionaries and entrepreneurs..... Give our children something to look forward to.You work to make sense of what's to come. Help us form and realize our goals and dreams of a better Canada!...You are truly moving Canadians and Canada forward into a bright and prosperous future...From now and into the beyond!..You are truly canadians and we thank-you
Police/fire fighters/public servants - Who give themselves to protect our lives and help keep us safe and secure in a sometimes dangerous environment!...You bring peace and confidence to Canadians and Canada, allowing them to step forward with caution but not fear !..You help make Canada home!
Athlete's......... The ones who compete to promote our strength and physical stature through out the world and at home...You keep Canada fit , strong, competitive and healthy....Whether you win or lose .You always play hard and fair. Even though the cards are often stacked against us ..We are few but we are true competitors in the global areana...Thank you Athletes...Way to go para-olympians. Athletes like you make Canada proud!.....Welcome back HOCKEY !wooooooooooo!yeah!
Nurses and doctors....Who give themselves thanklessly everyday to help us lead strong , long, healthy lives!..You fix Canadians , You keep Canada alive! ...Plus so much more!
Friends and family....The back bone of any good Country is a strong family/friend unit....You help us live and learn..Laugh and love...Keep us safe ,,,happy and healthy ...You do not judge but accept us .Who ever we may be...Thank you for helping to make Canada Strong by keeping us all together(even at family reunions!).
Mothers and Fathers.........Who instill good manners , values and morals into their children and Never give up on them. No matter what they may do!...Your compassion and unconditional love gives our children the peace , saftey and stability to become Strong productive adults in our society..It is true some may fall through the cracks but you never give up on them!....Thank you for your contributions to canada's future!....

Children
......We thank -you for your smiles ..your energy and faith in the future!...We thank you for your imaginations and innocence..Your pure truth and Beauty ..We thank you for the motivation you give to Canadians and Canada when times may seem Dark and hopeless!...You give us a future worth building ..You give us everything !...You are The leaders of Canada's tommorow!!....You are our hopes and dreams!
Politicians...... Please help me find some good ones...I know their out there...I am sure some stand for Canada...Help me figure out what their purpose is.....oh.... I know .....They're suppose to put everything together and Realize our vision of Canada...non?..Someone please tell me politicians are still working hard for Canadians and Canada,,,I want to believe!
Canadian soldiers.............Truly stand for Canada...Anyone who would risk their life to protect our Canadian home, our values as individuals and as a whole .This needs to be celebrated.!.U .R .True patriots! , Serving a GREATER purpose...! We Canadians and Canada thank you all!

Thank-you to all the Canadians who give themselves thanklessly and selflessly to a greater purpose .They Give their time and energy to make Canada a Great Country to live in ..It makes me proud to be Canadian !
I stand for Canada,,,,,,,I am Canadian!
Canadians are few but we are Strong ...Generous..accepting,,Easy going ,flexible...compassionate .We bring hope to those in need....but we will not be taken advantage of..We will not back down from defending our beliefs , our values or our freedoms. Canada stands for peace and prosperity ..We are reliable ...Dependable...We make Good friends and allies and are respected for our efforts.These are only a few of Canada's good qualities.. I would implore you all to come up with more..This is what I have gathered so far...I am only one of many Canadians but I am connected to Canada..... body , mind and soul!....We are few but we have proven we can handle this BIG country we Call Home...CANADA is Our home!!
All the above help to build Canada's strong Character and identity /All these people positively influence the world as one solid Canada!....This is my view of Canada from what I have gathered through the eye's of Canadians on behalf of Canada!....

Over and out there from here.

Greenfish66

lest we forget!...
We will always remember!

Great piece blackleaf

PEACE!