Why does the weasel go pop? - the secret meaning of our best-loved nursery rhymes

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Nursery rhymes, such as "Humpty Dumpty", "Jack and Jill" and "Baa Baa Black Sheep" are enjoyed by children in most English-speaking countries.

But did you know that many of them are derived from real-life events in British history?

Humpty Dumpty was, in real-life, a powerful cannon used by the Royalists against the Parliamentarians during the English Civil War. "Jack and Jill" is based on a young couple that lived in a village in Somerset in 1697....

Why does the weasel go pop? - the secret meaning of our best-loved nursery rhymes

By DEBORAH COLLCUTT
16th August 2008
Daily Mail

Humpty Dumpty

Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall,
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall;
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again

The real Humpty Dumpty was not a person but a powerful cannon used by the Royalist forces during the English Civil War of 1642 to 1651.

Sir Charles Lucas and Sir George Lisle led the King's men and overpowered the Parliament stronghold of Colchester early in 1648. They grimly held on while the Parliamentarians, led by Thomas Fairfax, encircled and besieged the town.

The supporters of Charles I almost won the day - all thanks to his doughtiest defender, Humpty Dumpty. In pole position, as it were, on top of the church tower of St Mary-at-the-Walls (Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall) their gunners managed to blast away the attacking Roundhead troops for 11 weeks.

Illlustrations: Kingfisher

Eventually, though, the top of the church tower was blown away, sending Humpty Dumpty crashing to the ground, where it buried itself in deep marshland (Humpty Dumpty had a great fall).

The king's cavalry (the horses) and the infantry (the men) hurried to retrieve the cannon, but they couldn't put Humpty together again - and without their weapon of mass destruction they were soon overrun by Fairfax and his soldiers.

Pop Goes the Weasel

Half a pound of tuppenny rice,
Half a pound of treacle.
That's the way the money goes,
Pop goes the weasel.

There has been much debate over the years about the meaning of Pop Goes The Weasel. A hugely popular music-hall song, its memorable and seemingly nonsensical lyrics spread like wildfire throughout Victorian London.

But is there more to the rhyme than meets the eye? In the 1680s, the poor and immigrants lived outside the walls of the City of London in Spitalfields, Hoxton and Shoreditch and slaved away in London's textile industry, which was based there.

Packed with sweatshops, it was also the site of many music halls and theatres.

One theory suggests that Pop Goes The Weasel was an attempt to turn the grim reality of local people's lives into a hit song.

In the textile industry, a spinner's weasel was a mechanical thread-measuring device in the shape of a spoked wheel, that accurately measured out yarn by making a popping sound to indicate the correct length had been reached.

The mind-numbing and repetitive nature of the work is captured in the final line of each verse, indicating that whatever you were doing, or wherever your mind had wandered to, reality was never far away with the weasel to pop you alert again.

Polly Put the Kettle On

Polly put the kettle on,
Polly put the kettle on,
Polly put the kettle on;
We'll all have tea.
Sukey take it off again,
Sukey take it off again,
Sukey take it off again;
They've all gone away.

One theory about the origins of this rhyme centres on the life of an unnamed writer in London in the mid-18th century with his young family of two boys and three girls.

Supposedly, there were many arguments between the children about who could play in which room of the house. The girls, keen to be rid of the noisy boys, would often pretend to start a tea party.

The youngest, Polly, would reach for the toy kettle as the other girls sang 'Polly put the kettle on'.

At this point, the boys would scarper Their father was so enamoured of the girls' cheek that he wrote it all down, set it to music and the rhyme was later published.

Jack and Jill

Jack and Jill went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water;
Jack fell down and broke his crown,
And Jill came tumbling after.

Taken at face value, the rhyme doesn't make sense. Why do Jack and Jill go up the hill to fetch water? Water generally runs downhill, so perhaps it's a cover story for something else.

A small village in Somerset has laid claim to the origin of the rhyme. The story told in Kilmersdon is that during 1697 the village was home to a young unmarried couple who did a lot of their courting up on a hill, away from the prying eyes of the local gossips.

Consequently Jill became pregnant, but just before the baby was born Jack was killed by a rock that fell off the hill and landed on his head. Only days later, Jill also died in childbirth. It's cheery stuff.

The rhyme is today depicted on a series of tablet stones along the path to the hill.

Old King Cole

Old King Cole was a merry old soul,
And a merry old soul was he;
He called for his pipe,
And he called for his bowl
And he called for his fiddlers three.

Some believe that the rhyme must have been written after the introduction of tobacco to Europe in 1564. But it might go back much further, to the early part of the first millennium, where the pipe was much more likely to have been the double aulos, an ancient reed instrument, and the bowl a type of drum.

In addition, the word coel is the Gaelic word for 'music', so could Old King Cole be the 'Old King of Music' - the venerable leader of a band, playing the pipe and drum with his fiddlers three? Or could he have been a real person?

We find three candidates dating back to the Roman occupation and three rulers of Colchester - known as the Kings of Cole.

Ride a Cock Horse

Ride a cock horse to Banbury Cross
To see a fine lady upon a white horse;
With rings on her fingers and bells on her toes,
She shall have music wherever she goes.

Some argue that only one historic figure could inspire such a rhyme. Step forward Lady Godiva, England's favourite naked horsewoman.

During the 11th century, Leofric, the Earl of Mercia, tried to impose heavy taxes on his countrymen, provoking outrage and near riots. Leofric's wife, Godgifu (changed over time to Godiva), sympathised with the common people and urged her husband to lower the new taxes he had levied.

Now, Leofric was obviously a man with a sense of humour because he told his wife he would lower taxes only after she had ridden naked through the streets of Coventry.

But he hadn't reckoned upon Godiva's spirit and, much to his surprise, she agreed to the challenge. The delighted people of Coventry, as a show of respect and to spare her blushes, all agreed to stay indoors, close their shutters and face the other way as the lady passed by.

She rode through the streets on her beloved white horse, completely naked apart from her wedding ring (rings on her fingers), and with bells attached to her toes to remind the people of Coventry not to look out of their windows.

All the citizens kept their word, except for Tom the tailor, who couldn't help himself and peeped out through the shutters - hence the expression 'Peeping Tom'. According to legend, Tom was then struck blind.

Doctor Foster

Doctor Foster
Went to Gloucester
In a shower of rain.
He stepped in a puddle
Right up to his middle
And never went there again

One theory runs that the origins of this verse stretch back more than 700 years to Edward I (1239-1307), who was known by the nickname of Dr Foster. (The doctor part perhaps because he was a learned man; the origins of Foster are unknown.)

On a visit to Gloucester during a storm, the King rode his horse through what appeared to be a shallow puddle, but it turned out to be a deep ditch.

Both King and horse became trapped in the mud and had to be hauled out - to Edward's fury and embarrassment.

The King, also known as 'Edward the Lawgiver' and responsible for much of the Tower of London , vowed never to return to Gloucester - and he remained true to his word.

Baa Baa Black Sheep

Baa Baa Black Sheep,
Have you any wool?
Yes, sir, yes, sir,
Three bags full;
One for the master,
One for the dame,
And one for the little boy
Who lives down the lane.

The final line of this rhyme until 1765 went like this: 'And none for the little boy who cries down the lane.' It is thought it was changed to make it more pleasant for young ears.

But the original version is at the heart of the meaning of the rhyme, which, unsurprisingly enough, is all about sheep.

Sheep have always been important to the rural economy, and by 1260, some flocks consisted of as many as 8,000 animals, tended by a dozen full-time shepherds.

When Edward I returned from his crusading in 1272, he imposed new taxes on wool to fund his military campaigns. It was this wool tax that is said to be the basis of the rhyme.

One-third of the price of each sack must go to the Kking (the master); one-third to the Church or the monasteries (the dame); and none to the actual shepherd (the little boy who cries down the lane).

Rather than being a gentle song about sharing things out fairly, it's a bitter reflection on how brutal life was for the working classes.

Georgie Porgie

Georgie Porgie, pudding and pie,
Kissed the girls and made them cry;
When the boys came out to play,
Georgie Porgie ran away.

There is a sinister undertone to this nursery rhyme, but what - and who - is it all about? One possible candidate for Georgie Porgie is the Prince Regent George IV.

Immensely fat (Georgie Porgie, pudding and pie), his corset-wearing was the source of constant ridicule and satirical cartoons. By 1797, his weight had reached 171/2 stone and by 1824 his corsets were being made for a waist of 50 inches.

George had a reputation for lechery, and his chequered love life involved several mistresses, illegitimate children and even bigamy.

He had a wife, Caroline of Brunswick, whom he detested so much he banned her from his coronation, and a mistress, Maria Anne Fitzherbert (a Roman Catholic and a commoner whom he would never be allowed to marry) - and he managed to make both women miserable (Kissed the girls and made them cry).

In addition, although George loved watching prize-fighting ( bareknuckle boxing, which was illegal), his own physical and emotional cowardice was legendary.

This is illustrated by a story of the most infamous prize-fight of the day, when one contestant died of his injuries. George was present, but when the fighter died, the Prince - terrified of being implicated - ran away (when the boys come out to play, Georgie Porgie ran away).

Sing a Song of Sixpence

Sing a song of sixpence, a pocket full of rye;
Four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie.
When the pie was opened, the birds began to sing;
Oh, wasn't that a dainty dish to set before the king?
The king was in his counting house counting out his money,
The queen was in the parlour eating bread and honey.
The maid was in the garden hanging out the clothes
When down came a blackbird and pecked off her nose.

There are a number of stories about this rhyme, but my favourite centres on a British pirate called Blackbeard (c.1680-1718), king of the pirates, who operated around the Caribbean.

Before long, several nations had put a price on his head. As a result, he kept a low profile when recruiting new crews. Thus Sing A Song Of Sixpence was a coded message relating to the decent wage on offer.

He also offered seamen a pocket full of rye whisky - a leather pouch holding about a litre of grog - which would have been a big incentive. Blackbeard lured target vessels close by pretending his own was in distress.

Little did the sailors realise that 24 of his finest pirates would be lying in wait (four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie) when they came to help. When they drew alongside, Blackbeard's men would spring into action, usually with fearsome screams and shouts (when the pie was opened the birds began to sing).

'The king was in his counting house, counting out his money' obviously refers to the pirate king himself.

A slang word for desirable ships, laden with treasure, was 'maid', while the waters around the Caribbean were referred to as 'the garden' - hence 'the maid was in the garden'.

'When down came a blackbird and pecked off her nose' probably refers to Blackbeard's men - his 'birds' - who were always ready to launch a surprise attack on a ship to 'peck off her nose' (to grab all the treasure) before the crew realised what was happening.

Adapted by Deborah Collcutt from Pop Goes The Weasel: The Secret Meanings Of Nursery Rhymes by Albert Jack, published by Penguin on August 28 at £12.99
Albert Jack 2008.
To order a copy (p&p free), call 0845 155 0720.

dailymail.co.uk

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
;-)......Old King Cole

He called for his pipe,
And he called for his fiddlers three. ""

Corrected Version:...........Old King Cole

Old King Cole was a merry arsehole
And a merry arsehole was Old King Cole
He called for his wife in the middle of the night
And called for his privates, three
We demand more beer said the privates
Jolly lads are we
There's none so fair
That can compare
To the King's artillery

or something like that...............8O

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
;-)......Old King Cole

He called for his pipe,
And he called for his fiddlers three. ""

Corrected Version:...........Old King Cole

Old King Cole was a merry arsehole
And a merry arsehole was Old King Cole
He called for his wife in the middle of the night
And called for his privates, three
We demand more beer said the privates
Jolly lads are we
There's none so fair
That can compare
To the King's artillery

or something like that...............8O

Another version:

Old King Cole

Old King Cole
Was a merry old soul
Two brass knockers
And an electric c**k
Really gave the girls a shock

......Anon

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Old King Cole --- another version:

Old King Cole was a merry old soul a merry old soul was
he, uh huh
He called for his pipe and he called for his bowl and he called for his
privates three, uh huh
Beer, beer, beer said the privates
Merry men are we
None so fair that they can't compare to the Airborne Infantry, uh huh
Old King Cole was a merry old soul a merry old soul was he, uh huh
corporals three, uh huh
I want a three day pass, said the corporals
Merry men are we
sergeants three, uh huh
Left right left, said the sergeants
Merry men are we
drill sergeants three, uh huh
Push push push, said the drill sergeants
Merry men are we
Looies three, uh huh
What do I do next, said the Looies
Merry men are we
Captains three, uh huh
I wanna take that hill, said the Captains
Merry men are we
Majors three, uh huh
Somebody drive my Jeep, said the Majors
Merry men are we
Colonels three, uh huh
Somebody shine my boots, said the Colonels
Merry men are we
Generals three, uh huh
Somebody start a war, said the Generals
Somebody shine my boots, said the Colonels
Merry men are we

Brat

Electoral Member
May 30, 2007
Interesting!

I vaguely remember something about Ring around the Rosie, was actually to do with the black plague.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Interesting!

I vaguely remember something about Ring around the Rosie, was actually to do with the black plague.

Brat,
This is what I've found.

Plague interpretation

A popular misinterpretation[3] connects the poem with the Great Plague of London in 1665, or perhaps earlier outbreaks of bubonic plague in England;[4] however, there is no evidence that Ring a Ring o' Roses and the plague were connected, until it was proposed in the 20th century.[5]. Regardless, this interpretation has entered into popular culture and has been used elsewhere to make oblique reference to the plague.[6] (For 'hidden meaning' in other nursery rhymes see Sing a Song of Sixpence, Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary, and Cock Robin.)
The Opies note the meaning ascribed to the lines by those that link it to the plague.[7]. This plague link seems to originate with the movement for finding origins of folk-songs, which was popular in the early 20th century.
According to this interpretation, the first line evokes the round red rash that would break out on the skin of plague victims. The second line's "pocket full of posies" would have been a pocket in the garment of a victim filled with something fragrant, such as flowers that aimed to conceal the smell from the sores and the dying people. Alternatively it referred to the common belief that fresh-smelling flowers, nosegays, and pomanders would purify the air around them thus warding off disease as was believed from the miasma theory of disease. A third possibility includes the idea that "posies" are derived from an Old English word for pus, in which case the pocket would be referring to the swelling sore. Finally: "atishoo, atishoo," the sneezing before "we all fall down", the eventual succumbing to death.
European and 19th century versions of the rhyme suggest that this 'fall' was not a literal falling down, but a curtsy or other form of bending movement that was common in other dramatic singing games.[8] Moreover, due to the wide variety of versions sharing the same dance and the same tune, the Opies and others since conclude that the tune and the dance-game form the core of 'Ring a Ring o'Roses', rather than the words that are popular today. Before 1898 there appeared to be no English-language standardisation of the words, and Lady Gomme[9] collected 12 versions of the game, only one of which is similar to the ones that are conjecturally linked to the plague.
The plague interpretation is generally considered by modern folklorists to be completely baseless.[10] It is first cited in 1951 by Peter Opie and Iona Opie.[11] It thus forms an important reference for 20th and 21st century culture, but has never been authentically linked to any early version of the rhyme, and the evidence points strongly against it.

scratch

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Baa Baa Black Sheep:

William Wallace Denslow's illustrations for Baa, Baa, Black Sheep, from a 1901 edition of Mother Goose

The black sheep, according to Denslow

Baa Baa Black Sheep is a nursery rhyme, set to a variant of the tune for Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and the Alphabet song.
Baa, baa, black sheep,Have you any wool?Yes sir, yes sir,Three bags full. One for the master,One for the dame,And one for the little boyWho lives down the lane. An occasionally used second verse is:
Thank you said the master,Thank you said the dame,Thank you said the little SeanWho lives in Aberdeen. An older form for the second verse was:
Two for the master,one for the dame,but none for the little boywho lives down the lane. or similar. [1] This referred to social inequalities that were common in the English countryside. The equalized version is more recent.

Use in linguistics

'Baa Baa Black Sheep dialect' has also been used informally in linguistics to describe English dialects (such as British English) that allow the syntax "Have you any wool?" compared to others (such as American English) that prefer "Do you have any wool?" with the auxiliary verb 'do'.

Modern Alterations

In recent years, several kindergartens and nurseries have been teaching children different versions of the rhyme, for example replacing "black sheep" with "rainbow sheep."[1] Previous attempts to alter the lyrics of the rhyme have substituted "black" with either "green" or "happy."[2] These changes have been met with considerable criticism, many citing it as "political correctness gone mad', because of the presumption that the rhyme was changed for racial reasons, despite the claim of one of the bodies involved that the changes were educationally motivated.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Georgie Porgie:

Georgie Porgie is a nursery rhyme which some people see as an early reference to sexual harassment in:
Georgie Porgie, Puddin' and Pie,Kissed the girls and made them cry,When the boys came out to playGeorgie Porgie ran away. The lyrics to "Georgie Porgie" are thought to refer to the courtier George Villiers, 1st Duke of Buckingham (1592-1628). King James I took Villiers as his lover, though his most notorious affair was with Anne of Austria (1601-1666), who was Queen Consort of France. A reference to the rhyme is made in Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, Chapter five:
Orgy-porgy, Ford and fun,Kiss the girls and make them One.Boys at one with girls at peace;Orgy-porgy gives release. The rock group Toto also recorded a song called "Georgy Porgy" on its 1978 debut album that includes lines from the nursery rhyme. The song, which was written by Toto vocalist David Paich [1], was covered in 1999 by Eric Benét with Faith Evans on Benét's "A Day in the Life" album. The Deep South Rapper Devin the Dude also recorder a song called "Georgy" on his album entitled "The Dude", released in 1998. The chorus to the song is the refrain, "Georgie, Georgie, Kissed the girls and made them cry." The Jasper Fforde novel The Big Over Easy is about the "Nursery Crime" division of the Reading, Berkshire police, which deals with human characters and anthropomorphic animals whose lives are determined by their status as figures in nursery rhymes, nursery stories, fables, myths, etc. The book features a sinister mob boss (now imprisoned for life) named "Georgio Porgia." He misses the girls -- especially the kissing -- that he once enjoyed as a young man, free from captivity.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
(Four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie)

Nursery Rhyme & History
Action words to the poem " Sing a song of sixpence" Rhyme with some history!
Lovely words to this children's action nursery rhyme which is often referred to as blackbirds baked in a pie probably because the image that blackbirds baked in a pie would create in a child's mind . The rye ( a pocketful of rye) was purchased to feed birds. Blackbirds, and other song birds, were actually eaten as a delicacy! However a court jester may well have suggested to the court cook to bake a pie pastry crust and place this over some live blackbirds to surprise and amuse the King! It would not be unreasonable for the blackbirds to look for revenge hence "When down came a blackbird and pecked off her nose!" It is interesting to note that the references to the counting house and eating honey were the common man's perception of what a King and Queen spent their time doing. The nursery rhyme Sing a song of sixpence or blackbirds baked in a pie always end with the tweaking of a child's nose!

Sing a song of sixpence
AKA blackbirds in a pie

Sing a song of sixpence a pocket full of rye,
Four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie.
When the pie was opened the birds began to sing,
Oh wasn't that a dainty dish to set before the king?
The king was in his counting house counting out his money,
The queen was in the parlour eating bread and honey
The maid was in the garden hanging out the clothes,
When down came a blackbird and pecked off her nose!

Additional Information about the Sing a Song of Sixpence Nursery Rhyme History
Our grateful thanks goes to Rebecca Harris for providing the following additional information:"During the Medieval times, there were occasions when the cook in the house of a wealthy knight did indeed put live birds (often pigeons, but I'm sure it could just as easily have been blackbirds) inside a huge pastry crust, on his own initiative. This was seen as a great joke and the cook would usually have a real pie waiting to bring in when the birds had been released."
Sing a song of sixpence
AKA blackbirds in a pie

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Ride a cock horse to Banbury Cross is a nursery rhyme connected with the English town Banbury. The nursery rhyme was first seen in print in 1784, however it was probably known well before then.[citation needed]

William Wallace Denslow's illustrations, 1901

The old lady on her white horse, according to Denslow[1]

Rhyme

Ride a cock horse to Banbury Cross. To see a fine lady upon a white horse. With rings on her fingers and bells on her toes. She shall have music wherever she goes.
Intepretation

There is no consensus of who is the referred to "fine lady" actually was. Suggestions include:
  • Queen Elizabeth I of England[2]
  • Welsh Goddess Rhiannon, who was said to have ridden a white horse[citation needed]
  • Lady Godiva[citation needed]
  • An unknown member of the wealthy Fiennes family that had married into the Saye family of nearby Broughton Castle[citation needed]
A "Cock Horse" is a old carriage-driving term, referring to an extra harness horse employed to assist pulling a cart or carriage up a hill. The "Cock Horse" would be hitched up at he bottom of the hill and then unhitched at the top. It would then be ridden back down to the bottom of the hill to await its next customer. Banbury is situated at the top of a moderately steep hill and the town's council made a "cock horse" available to help access to the town.[3]
The words 'And bells on her toes' refer to the fashion of attaching bells to the end of the pointed toes of each shoe, associated with the nobility of England since the Plantagenet era.

The Banbury Cross was a stone cross and site of pilgrimage in the village of Banbury. It was destroyed by anti-Catholic Puritans in 1602, but it was replaced in 1858.

MissAnnika

Electoral Member
Jun 30, 2008
Ohau, Hawaii
everything popular gets its roots from somewhere. some things are so old that people dont know about their true meanings. like the bon fire which came from bone fire from the renaissance times where people would burn massive fires atop the highest hills in town in order to keep the evil spirits away.