Mussolini
Tojo
Roosevelt
Truman
Patton
Eisenhauer
Hitler
DeGaulle

If you can think up any others then post them.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
DEGAULLE.. what's he doing on the list.. that strutting, egotistical peacock..

Churchill was the greatest leader, leadership being defined as rallying an outmanned, outgunned, isolated island nation from the jaws of defeat to ultimate victory.

That said WW2 was won on the Eastern Front, not the Western. I just can't give any credit to Stalin, someone who every bit as much a murdering, megalomaniac as Hitler.

A notable absence in the military figures is Russian Marshal Georgi Zhukov. He orchestrated the pivotal German defeat at Stalingrad, and the final push to Berlin. A ruthless military commander, he had his own troops shot for retreating.. and did little to prevent the rape of Berlin after the fall of Hitler. But having 20 million of your country men killed will do that to you.

Last edited:

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Well, Big Lou, may you not regret having asked!

This past winter I read a book by Leon Degrelle about the East Front. He led the SS Wallonians from Belgium against Communist Russia.

"Leon Degrelle, combat hero of the Second World War, political leader...."

http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v14/v14n3p20_Weber.html

Here are pictures and a song I can still remember:

Aahhh... those were the days!

Last edited:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I'd say Ike had to be the most patient. He had to smile while Churchill pushed and keep Patton and Monty from going to war with each other at the same time - kinda like a kindegarten teacher....

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Macarthur.

Churchill was a great leader...probably the better of them all with regards to politics.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
A notable absence in the military figures is Russian Marshal Georgi Zhukov. He orchestrated the pivotal German defeat at Stalingrad, and the final push to Berlin. A ruthless military commander, he had his own troops shot for retreating.. and did little to prevent the rape of Berlin after the fall of Hitler. But having 20 million of your country men killed will do that to you.
-------------------------------Coldstream---------------------------------------------------------------

For that matter, add Kruschev who was the political commisar leader of the battle of Stalingrad.
He might have lost Kiev, but he had a major part in bogging down the Nazis there.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
8O.........Yosemite Sam.........

Cleared German trenches at the "Kampf der stinkenden Achselhöhlen"

Took 2590 prisoners. Most begged to surrender.

Before receiving the VC, he was ordered to shower, twice. ***

Brave man.

Could use a few like him today.

***to take 2 showers, not ordered twice. He was ordered 4 times and threatened with general court martial.

:roll:

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
Kilroy was a ship inspector- that's why his name was scrawled all over the ship hulls, the soldiers sort of took it from there and spread his name far and wide- a story my Dad told me. :)

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Kilroy was a ship inspector- that's why his name was scrawled all over the ship hulls, the soldiers sort of took it from there and spread his name far and wide- a story my Dad told me. :)

Yes, I remember seeing 'Kilroy was Here', scrawled all over in my neighbourhood too, as a
little girl, never knew why, but I did join in, seemed like fun at the time.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Joe Foss - flying ace + big hero in Gopherland:

BigLou

Electoral Member
Aug 13, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Sweet.
I think Churchill was the best, because he had the greatest speeches and motivated people more than anyone else in that war.