Why did they invade Canada?

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
why did u refer to it as "the country"? and why did you answer your own question?
I made four consecutive posts about the War of 1812, I made the worst mistake in doing that. The questions should have all been put in the same post, ergo the confusion.This inconsistency was brought to my attention so I answered myself. My apologies to you and the members.
Sincere regards,
scratch

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I don't suppose anybody ever caught that episode of The Hour where George was talking with a man who's ancestor was one of the generals of the forces from the US (Militia) who invaded Canada at that time?

From what he was told down the family lines, the mentality of the US at that time was that the people in Canada didn't want to be part of the British Empire, that they would be liberating us, and that we'd be welcoming them with open arms because we genuinely wanted to be Americans too, etc. (Sound Familiar?)

Lewis Lapham:
http://www.cbc.ca/thehour/videos.html?id=762733857

5:45 into the Video he starts the explination. (Just Scroll to Jump to the Time)

Enjoy.

I liked the part where the New York Militia walked away because they had no beef with Canada... cudos NY.