Remembrance Day

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
What does it mean to you?
Do you have a relative that served our country in the military?

It means something to each of us. Or it should do anyway. There are plenty of sources for anyone to look up why we honour this time of year and specifically, this day.

This is mine (please forgive it's length).

His name was Walter. He was a pioneer and a son of Canadian pioneers.

He also volunteered to go overseas in WW1. He was my grandfather. This is a piece of his story that I gave to with my niece and nephew.

Part of what he did and where he fought for this country, and all of us.

162nd Battalion, C.E.F. [Canadian Expeditionary Force]

This group was formed by volunteers to fight in the First World War.

It sailed for England in November 1916. Upon arrival, his unit was absorbed by the 3rd Reserve Battalion.

[ As the war progressed and casualties began to mount it became necessary to replace losses in the field with fresh troops. New Battalions were now being trained and sent to England as fast as possible. Upon arrival in England most of the new Battalions were absorbed into reserve Battalions. From there troops were sent where they were needed ~ either as reinforcements for the 1st and 2nd Divisions or to the 3rd and 4th Divisions as they were being formed in England.]

He served in the 58th Battalion of the 9th Infantry Brigade under the Canadian 3rd Division. He was a 'sapper'.

[A sapper is an individual usually in British or Commonwealth military service. Called a combat engineer by the Americans, a pionier by the Germans and a génie by the French, a sapper may perform any of a variety of tasks under combat conditions. Such tasks typically include bridge-building, laying or clearing minefields, demolitions, field defences as well as building, road and airfield construction and repair. In other words, the sapper's tasks now involve facilitating movement of allied forces and impeding movement of the enemy's.]

He participated at Vimy Ridge and the battle for Hill 70. There are many sources for these two battles that you may research on your own, online. (...this was written and sent in April 2007...>>>This Sunday is the 90th anniversary of the battle for Vimy Ridge. He ultimately suffered the effects of mustard (chlorine) gas during this time. He was sent to hospital in England and then returned home to Canada.

From Wikipedia:

The Battle of Hill 70 took place near the French city of Lens on 15 August and 25 August 1917 and was fought between attacking units of the Canadian Corps under the command of General Arthur Currie and British I Corps (6th Division and 46th Division), and the defending German units of the 7th and 185th Infantry Divisions as well as the 4th Guard Infantry Division.

Hill 70 was a terrain feature rising only fifteen feet over surrounding terrain, located north of Lens, France. The Canadian operation was a diversionary attack to relieve pressure on the city of Lens itself.

Like the Battle of Vimy Ridge, the attack began with a creeping barrage behind which the infantry advanced close behind. By the end of the morning, the Canadians occupied the high ground overlooking Lens, with the remaining objectives in Canadian hands by the end of the next day. Having been asked to capture a much larger area, Currie recognised the importance of this one dominating feature and that German doctrine would result in immediate counter attacks. Using 'Bite and Hold' operational doctrine, the Canadians took only this feature and dug in. During the battle, the Germans counter-attacked numerous times, using mustard gas and flamethrowers, but were beaten off each time at an enormous cost. By the end of the battle, the Canadian Corps had suffered nearly 9,200 casualties.

From Veteran Affairs Canada:

Hill 70 and Lens

Following the victory at Vimy the Canadians continued operations in the Arras area to divert attention from the French front, and to conceal from the Germans the planned offensive in Flanders. In the Battle of Hill 70, August 15-25, Canadian forces captured this strategic position on the northern approach to the city of Lens and secured the western part of the city. The fighting here cost the Canadian Corps 9,198 casualties. However, considerable ground was gained and enormous casualties inflicted on the Germans by skilful use of machine guns and the creation of deliberate 'killing grounds' across which the Germans would have to counter-attack; the battle hampered enemy plans to send fresh troops to Flanders.

From Canada and The Great War:

(http://pages.interlog.com/~fatjack/)

Hill 70 & the Lens Offensive:

August & September of 1917

Prior to the British offensive at the Third Ypres – Passchendaele – the British wanted to secure their flank in the region facing Vimy Ridge at the French city of Lens. Luckily, this allowed the Canadians to participate in this tragic offensive in another region and under their own command. This would spare them the misery of the initial waves of attacks at Passchendaele. Initially, their task as desired from the British planners called for some kind of a diversionary attack to occupy and distract the Germans.

Arthur Currie had emerged from the astounding success at Vimy Ridge as the Canadian Commander when Julian Byng was reassigned by the British. Currie planned for the Canadian offensive to be a little more than a mere distraction for the Germans. The British plan called for what was essentially a frontal attack on German positions at Lens. Currie realized that this plan, although maybe workable, would result in tremendous infantry casualties as this strategy had been used time and time again by the British and seemed to be handled with success by the German defenders. Currie’s plan would accomplish the same general objective but would, if successful, result in far fewer Canadian losses.

The large scale frontal assault on Lens would be changed to an attack on two hills that, when taken would give the Canadians high ground and strong point to destabilize the German defenses at the city. Sallaumines and Hill 70 would be taken by the Canadian Corps. Rather than having the Canadians exposed to enemy shelling from the high ground in a costly assault against the city, this would give the Canadians the opportunity to shell German positions at the city and render the German held region of little use.

The attack on the hills would add the element of surprise in favour of the Canadians. Should the hills be taken successfully, the plan called for immediate positioning of machine guns and artillery on the high ground to take on the expected German counter-attack. Instead of solid German installations killing Canadians in the open fields of the region, the tables would be turned and the German forces, well entrenched in the city would have to move out to the open ground and face Canadian guns.

As at Vimy, Currie left nothing to chance. The plan was rehearsed and the ground to be covered well known. The attack took place on August 15, 1917 using many of the tactics used at Vimy. Artillery would lead the way with a "rolling barrage". Smoke screens and diversionary attacks at Lens would shield the true intent of the day. Success was initially achieved in the first 20 minutes as the Canadians took the high ground of Hill 70 that same morning. By the end of the next day, August 16, the remaining objectives were secured. As expected, the Germans counter-attacked using everything they could. For two days the German unleashed their new weapons – flame throwers and mustard gas – while the Canadians, using wireless radio communications for the first time, countered with devastating artillery and machine gun fire. After 21 counter-attacks the Germans retired: Canadians had held their ground.

The victory has not come easily. The Canadian Corps had suffered in dead and wounded, 5843 casualties during the attack and counter-attacks. This number would rise in later attacks to 9198 casualties as attempts to consolidate more territory, such as the attack on Green Crassier, would prove unsuccessful and deemed too costly.

The final result would see the area dominated by the Canadians, rendering what had been a secure zone for the Germans into one of little use. The Germans had been successfully stopped from using this ground as a staging area to attack the British positions at Ypres in Flanders. Unfortunately, the British attack that was being protected by this action was still doomed to become one of the worst experiences of the war as the mud-filled killing ground of Passchendaele would prove far more difficult than imagined.

The success of the Canadians at Lens during August and September of 1917 would lead them into the lead role at the Passchendaele front during October and November.

Walter James:

So your great grandfather (your dad's and my grandfather) was there, among the horrors of the first world war. He may have volunteered for a good-paying job when times were very tough, but most of us wouldn't do that today. He was there at Vimy Ridge and Hill 70. Grampa has his medals from that war. It wasn't a very nice time but those young guys went over and did their jobs. Just so you know.

Your Uncle

Part of me, part of our history.

With respect and gratitude Grampa.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Nice post and nice way to honour your grandfather Locutus.

My wife's great grandfather died at Vimy. Remembrance Day is pretty important in our family.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
My grand dad signed on with the 48th Highlanders Sept 11 1939 and shipped to England with the 1st Division. He fought his way across Sicily and through Italy until 1944. Wounded four times, he came back a sergeant to a training depot for the duration. He never spoke of his war.

Years later, when I came back, he was the man who recognized a far-away look in these eyes. He didn’t speak. A couple of hours later, he set a bottle of his finest scotch on the table.

"Say it.... Get it out and wash it down...."

I found out he'd been a sniper. That made his war a very up close and personal one. Unlike the guy on the line who fired almost blindly in the direction of an unknown enemy, his targets had faces.

Lest We Forget

Every apprehensive breath
That’s sobbed its gasp of fear
Reminds me of the battlefield
Which still exists in here.
The dreams come much less often, now though …
…blanket-twisting yet,
With one or two too much like truth,
Lest We Forget.

Every self-defensive smack,
This poor ol’ wall’s absorbed,
Resounds on every battlefield,
In each too-crazy war.
The Chill comes much less often, but still …
…shaking, wakes me, yet.
As time goes by, each teardrop’s dried,
Lest We Forget…

…a little kid in some wasted land …. God, I …
…failed both of us that day, as I …
…hid behind dark sunglasses,
Under the Blue Beret.
Now … it never goes away.

Every self-defacing scar,
Carved in great escapes
From out-of-body battlefields,
In moments of no wait
Are tears. They fall less often though still …
…pillow-drenchers, yet.
As dreams come by, less make me cry
Lest We Forget

17 Sep1994

Generations of men, women and children have discovered that there really is no glory in war. In Legion halls, VFW Posts, or their likes, all over the world, old men grow misty-eyed as they relive their "glory days". Could it be that misting eyes have nothing to do with glory?

Generations of mechanics, cooks, clerks and instructors boast to have almost single-handedly won his or her war. Indeed, they may have won it just by surviving it intact. Although their tasks were no less vital to the efforts at the front, it’s the quiet one - that one who sits alone, silent at his table, or in his room, or among us - who has the most to say. He has the most to forget. The deepest of wounds are those which leave no visible scars. Thanks Grand-dad! Rest in Peace.

Woof!

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Nobody remembers, the planets covered with statues and graveyards in rememberance of the fallen, but the truth is we do forget the lessons of war and we repeat them following the same themes of old.
The words of Universal Soldier say it all, soldiers for the most part are stupid young men who are easy to convince of the justice of any conflict and they have died by the millions since war began. They are always used by the wealthy class to enhance investment and commerce and to commit mass murder under some emblematic rag blowing in the wind.
What should we remember? Thier defeat of fascism? What defeat? Look arround, fascism thrives now like never before, war and death and destruction have grown more popular than ever. So what are we to honour our fallen relatives and countrymen for? They have failed us,just as surely as we fail our children right now today. If we must remember let us remember the futility of thier deaths and the monumental crime of war. I would hear no more of our glorious past and our just campainges, thats all lies and crap. Show us the trenches filled with the rotting corpses of heros, show us the fields littered with human waste, show us the starving women and children driven down cold roads by victorious saviours of industry, show us where mankind itself has prospered from war. But no we get the perrenial mindless recitation of In Flanders Fields with it's message of torch bearing for the empire of the day.

Reactions: flutterby

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
Both of my grandfathers fought in WWII. One of them passed away a couple years ago. He never really spoke about the war except once.
It was Christmas day and I was still really young. He had come over to our house for the day. My mom was in the kitchen and my dad was shoveling outside. We had Christmas music on and the song 'I'll Be Home for Christmas' came on. My grandfather just kind of sat and listened to it. When the song was over he said that when he was in the war he had to be there on Christmas. They didn't have to fight on that day, they were traveling back from somewhere on a train. All the cabins were filled with boys like him and they were all talking to each other, everyone seemed to be in high spirits that day. Then some of them started singing Christmas songs, everyone was laughing and singing along. Then one boy started singing 'I'll Be Home for Christmas... if only in my dreams'. By then end of the song everyone was had sat back in the seats and were quiet. He said everyone had tears streaming down their faces and had that lost look in their faces as they were thinking about home and everything that they had given up to be there.
I was really young when I heard this story and it is just from what I remember so some of the details may not be perfect but like I said it is what I remember! Anyway I can't listen to that song without thinking of him and what he went through as a Boy! It brings tears to my eyes every single time!

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Both of my grandfathers fought in WWII. One of them passed away a couple years ago. He never really spoke about the war except once.
It was Christmas day and I was still really young. He had come over to our house for the day. My mom was in the kitchen and my dad was shoveling outside. We had Christmas music on and the song 'I'll Be Home for Christmas' came on. My grandfather just kind of sat and listened to it. When the song was over he said that when he was in the war he had to be there on Christmas. They didn't have to fight on that day, they were traveling back from somewhere on a train. All the cabins were filled with boys like him and they were all talking to each other, everyone seemed to be in high spirits that day. Then some of them started singing Christmas songs, everyone was laughing and singing along. Then one boy started singing 'I'll Be Home for Christmas... if only in my dreams'. By then end of the song everyone was had sat back in the seats and were quiet. He said everyone had tears streaming down their faces and had that lost look in their faces as they were thinking about home and everything that they had given up to be there.
I was really young when I heard this story and it is just from what I remember so some of the details may not be perfect but like I said it is what I remember! Anyway I can't listen to that song without thinking of him and what he went through as a Boy! It brings tears to my eyes every single time!

A single tear in empathy is worth more than all the hollow monuments to war.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
My grand dad signed on with the 48th Highlanders Sept 11 1939 and shipped to England with the 1st Division. He fought his way across Sicily and through Italy until 1944. Wounded four times, he came back a sergeant to a training depot for the duration. He never spoke of his war.

Years later, when I came back, he was the man who recognized a far-away look in these eyes. He didn’t speak. A couple of hours later, he set a bottle of his finest scotch on the table.

"Say it.... Get it out and wash it down...."

I found out he'd been a sniper. That made his war a very up close and personal one. Unlike the guy on the line who fired almost blindly in the direction of an unknown enemy, his targets had faces.

Lest We Forget

Every apprehensive breath
That’s sobbed its gasp of fear
Reminds me of the battlefield
Which still exists in here.
The dreams come much less often, now though …
…blanket-twisting yet,
With one or two too much like truth,
Lest We Forget.

Every self-defensive smack,
This poor ol’ wall’s absorbed,
Resounds on every battlefield,
In each too-crazy war.
The Chill comes much less often, but still …
…shaking, wakes me, yet.
As time goes by, each teardrop’s dried,
Lest We Forget…

…a little kid in some wasted land …. God, I …
…failed both of us that day, as I …
…hid behind dark sunglasses,
Under the Blue Beret.
Now … it never goes away.

Every self-defacing scar,
Carved in great escapes
From out-of-body battlefields,
In moments of no wait
Are tears. They fall less often though still …
…pillow-drenchers, yet.
As dreams come by, less make me cry
Lest We Forget

17 Sep1994

Generations of men, women and children have discovered that there really is no glory in war. In Legion halls, VFW Posts, or their likes, all over the world, old men grow misty-eyed as they relive their "glory days". Could it be that misting eyes have nothing to do with glory?

Generations of mechanics, cooks, clerks and instructors boast to have almost single-handedly won his or her war. Indeed, they may have won it just by surviving it intact. Although their tasks were no less vital to the efforts at the front, it’s the quiet one - that one who sits alone, silent at his table, or in his room, or among us - who has the most to say. He has the most to forget. The deepest of wounds are those which leave no visible scars. Thanks Grand-dad! Rest in Peace.

Woof!

That must have been a very difficult thing for him to do.
He did something almost all of us would not have.

I don't envy him but I do honour him and all the rest that volunteered. Thank you.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

That's a very nice story. You're lucky too. I never met my grandfather, he died in 1939. I wish I had though.

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
That's a very nice story. You're lucky too. I never met my grandfather, he died in 1939. I wish I had though.

I am very lucky. Both of my grandfathers lived through the war. Both were seriously injured. My one grandfather as I mentioned never spoke of the war but later joined the NWMP and then the RCMP, he passed away only 5 years ago.
My other grandfather is still with me today. He speaks of the war often but it is interesting that very rarely does his stories contain death or killing. He really focuses on the things that they could joke and laugh about like one time they found a german soilder that had been run down by a tank and buried in the soil, they dug him out, he was fine and they 'sent him on back'. He just jokes about how lucky that guy was how grateful he had been to them for taking the time to help him.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I am very lucky. Both of my grandfathers lived through the war. Both were seriously injured. My one grandfather as I mentioned never spoke of the war but later joined the NWMP and then the RCMP, he passed away only 5 years ago.
My other grandfather is still with me today. He speaks of the war often but it is interesting that very rarely does his stories contain death or killing. He really focuses on the things that they could joke and laugh about like one time they found a german soilder that had been run down by a tank and buried in the soil, they dug him out, he was fine and they 'sent him on back'. He just jokes about how lucky that guy was how grateful he had been to them for taking the time to help him.

Humanity, dignity and honour right there man.

Imagine how the German soldier felt? It would be nice to know he had survived the war as well and could tell his own slant on the story. Brothers in arms.

Plus, it's still funny as hell too. They all likely had a good laugh. :lol:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
As much as people may have a problem with what Darkbeaver has to say, and the way he says it, for the most part he is right. The only fault in his words I can find is where he says that the soldiers of days gone by have let us down. I say, we have let THEM down.

My Grandfather also fought in WWI along with his brother. My Grandfather came back, his brother did not. He never spoke about the war, and his medals were buried in the bottom of a drawer, which we found after he died. I had heard, but not from him, that the purple heart was for when he was buried alive by a German artillery shell. His brother dug him out and saved his life.

"Lest we forget" is not about remembering those that fought and died "for our freedom" as so many seem to think these days. Those 3 words are about remembering the carnage and horror of the "war to end all wars". It is supposed to remind us to never go down that road again. Something we failed in rather quickly.

So Darkbeaver, it is not the soldiers fault that we have forgotten, the blame lies at our feet. We have let them down. Obviously all the memorials in the world have not served to "remind" us. THeir purpose, and the purpose of our young men, so many years ago, laying down their lives has been forgotten and perverted.

I hope it is not too late now to "remember" what we were asked to.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
As much as people may have a problem with what Darkbeaver has to say, and the way he says it, for the most part he is right. The only fault in his words I can find is where he says that the soldiers of days gone by have let us down. I say, we have let THEM down.

My Grandfather also fought in WWI along with his brother. My Grandfather came back, his brother did not. He never spoke about the war, and his medals were buried in the bottom of a drawer, which we found after he died. I had heard, but not from him, that the purple heart was for when he was buried alive by a German artillery shell. His brother dug him out and saved his life.

"Lest we forget" is not about remembering those that fought and died "for our freedom" as so many seem to think these days. Those 3 words are about remembering the carnage and horror of the "war to end all wars". It is supposed to remind us to never go down that road again. Something we failed in rather quickly.

So Darkbeaver, it is not the soldiers fault that we have forgotten, the blame lies at our feet. We have let them down. Obviously all the memorials in the world have not served to "remind" us. THeir purpose, and the purpose of our young men, so many years ago, laying down their lives has been forgotten and perverted.

I hope it is not too late now to "remember" what we were asked to.

In fact it is. Personal interpretation aside.

Every year on November 11, Canadians pause in a silent moment of remembrance for the men and women who have served, and continue to serve our country during times of war, conflict and peace. We honour those who fought for Canada in the First World War (1914-1918), the Second World War (1939-1945), and the Korean War (1950-1953), as well as those who have served since then. More than 1,500,000 Canadians have served our country in this way, and more than 100,000 have died. They gave their lives and their futures so that we may live in peace.

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=history/other/remember/r_intro

For the Fallen (1914)

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill: Death august and royal
Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres.
There is music in the midst of desolation
And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

They mingle not with laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain,
As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
To the end, to the end, they remain.

The line Lest we forget is often added to the end of the ode, which is repeated in response by those listening.

The phrase later passed into common usage after the WW1, becoming linked with Remembrance Day observations; it came to be a plea not to forget past sacrifices, and was often found as the only wording on war memorials, or used as an epitaph.

It was penned by Rudyard Kipling.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recessional_(poem)

Let's not sully a thread of remembrance. It is not a political thread. Thank you.

Pick it up in the Beach if you wish.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Thanks for the reminders and your memories people.....this thread is one of the jewels which often pop up on a forum when people share their stories....and each one is a valuable read... This is history to be passed down to those who inherit not only all the beauty but the responsibilities as well.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Thanks for the reminders and your memories people.....this thread is one of the jewels which often pop up on a forum when people share their stories....and each one is a valuable read... This is history to be passed down to those who inherit not only all the beauty but the responsibilities as well.

Very true. I'll never let my grandfather's service be forgotten.

Last edited:

triedit

inimitable
I finally was out today and got my poppy pin. I don't have any Canadian family, and certainly not any that served in Canada's military, but both my grandads were in WW2 and my first husband was active duty Marine Corps. I still have many friends who are on active duty, although they tend to be the children of my adult friends these days. In any event, I want to say thank you to those who serve anytime, anyplace. Serving your country often means hardship, even when not involved in war. That's something I want to be sure my children learn.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I finally was out today and got my poppy pin. I don't have any Canadian family, and certainly not any that served in Canada's military, but both my grandads were in WW2 and my first husband was active duty Marine Corps. I still have many friends who are on active duty, although they tend to be the children of my adult friends these days. In any event, I want to say thank you to those who serve anytime, anyplace. Serving your country often means hardship, even when not involved in war. That's something I want to be sure my children learn.

You certainly don't have to serve or have military realtives, that's for sure. I didn't although my father was Air Force for 33 years and my brother 1RCR infantry and Cyprus peacekeeping. Ab uncle was a P.O.W. in Germany during the second war.

I think it's the right thing to do for those that (usually) volunteer to do nasty dangerous work we wouldn't do ourselves. A lot of brave men and women have done just that in many nations over the last century alone. My hat is always off to them, especially the oldtimers.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Great stories of remembrance. I'm glad to have read them. I never knew of my grand fathers service but I did see some things showing that my mothers father had served in WW I. I was too young to understand any of that and before I was old enough be become interested in that part of his life, he had long passed away. I ask my Mom about it, and she just didn't have any idea beyond that he served. My uncle knew all about it but he too passed away and I never had the chance to find out about it from him.

My Dad was a drill instructor stationed in Prince Albert. Originally he volunteered in Toronto here. He did a tour or two somewhere, I'm not sure where though and then started training others. He didn't like talking to me about it and any thoughts of going into the forces myself was quashed right off by him. He set me to work in grocery and then I was sent to live with both my brothers to work in their stores for a while. He did have some medals and a few things from his uniform tucked away in one of his drawers while looking for something.

About the only thing he really talked about at all were a few of the guys he served with. I remember meeting one of them when I was young. I remember him calling my dad Sergent which stuck with me because I never knew what the word meant until later when I was older.

A number of years ago I bought a membership to the Legion and I go for a couple hours every couple of weeks for a few beers. Not many old timers left any more. The thing I like about it is that in my way I support the place they feel comfortable a little, and I can listen to the stories they tell, sometimes a few times. ;)

Really nice thread Locutus.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Great stories of remembrance. I'm glad to have read them. I never knew of my grand fathers service but I did see some things showing that my mothers father had served in WW I. I was too young to understand any of that and before I was old enough be become interested in that part of his life, he had long passed away. I ask my Mom about it, and she just didn't have any idea beyond that he served. My uncle knew all about it but he too passed away and I never had the chance to find out about it from him.

My Dad was a drill instructor stationed in Prince Albert. Originally he volunteered in Toronto here. He did a tour or two somewhere, I'm not sure where though and then started training others. He didn't like talking to me about it and any thoughts of going into the forces myself was quashed right off by him. He set me to work in grocery and then I was sent to live with both my brothers to work in their stores for a while. He did have some medals and a few things from his uniform tucked away in one of his drawers while looking for something.

About the only thing he really talked about at all were a few of the guys he served with. I remember meeting one of them when I was young. I remember him calling my dad Sergent which stuck with me because I never knew what the word meant until later when I was older.

A number of years ago I bought a membership to the Legion and I go for a couple hours every couple of weeks for a few beers. Not many old timers left any more. The thing I like about it is that in my way I support the place they feel comfortable a little, and I can listen to the stories they tell, sometimes a few times. ;)

Really nice thread Locutus.

I did that as a young man (and teenager) and it's my loss for not talking to these people. Now that I am interested, they're all gone.

I support my local legion as well but as you said, not so many oldtimers left. I feel old in there sometimes. :lol:

Thanks for sharing.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
What does it mean to you?
Do you have a relative that served our country in the military?

It means something to each of us. Or it should do anyway. There are plenty of sources for anyone to look up why we honour this time of year and specifically, this day.

This is mine (please forgive it's length).

His name was Walter. He was a pioneer and a son of Canadian pioneers.

He also volunteered to go overseas in WW1. He was my grandfather. This is a piece of his story that I gave to with my niece and nephew.

My grandfather had two younger brothers, one of whom was a Rhodes scolar. His short history: in 1915 he was awarded the Rhodes Scholarship for Nova Scotia and was admitted to Balliol College, Oxford University. Because of the war enrollment at Oxford was curtailed so he enlisted in the Army and trained with the 64th Battalion in Sussex, New Brunswick. They spent the winter of 1915 - 16 in Halifax and left in April 1916, for overseas. After arriving in England the battalion was disbanded and Harry was transferred to the 13th Highlanders, the Black Watch. He died of wounds Oct. 10, 1916 at 24 years of age.