A history of the Taliban

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Anarchy

In 1992, after the fall of the Communists, Kabul, traditionally a Pushtun city, fell under control of Tajiks Rabbani and Massoud and an Uzbek Doustum. This has immediately provoked a new war — this time between the mujaheds themselves — when Pushtun Hikmetyar besieged Kabul. Since nobody could realistically win that war, the situation has run into a dead end, and the country has been divided between the warlords.
Doustum controlled six provinces in the North. Three western provinces around Herat belonged to Ismail Khan. Rabbani governed Kabul and North-East. Jalalabad was managed collectively by the local warlords. Hikmetyar seized a small region near Kabul and also controlled some Pushtun areas near the Pakistani border. The center of the country belonged to the ethnic group of Hazaras.
Kandahar area has got the worst deal — there was no single controlling force there, and the region was torn apart by the feuding warlords and plain gangsters. The city itself has been divided between hostile groups.
Birth of the Taliban

Afghan refugees did not rush to return to their homeland from Pakistan after the Soviet troops have been withdrawn. The Taliban has been born exactly there, among the mujahed veterans, many of whom have been studying in theological schools at the time. The name itself means “students”. When the international community has almost completely forgotten Afghanistan, the talibs thought they could be the only force that could still bring peace to their home. After prolonged discussions, they have created a program with clear goals and yet unclear means. They were going to restore peace, disarm the population, and realign the social life with the Islamic customs. Muhammed Omar has been elected as the leader of the movement. He was 35 at the time.

http://www.zharov.com/afghan/taliban.html

Minority Observer84

Theism Exorcist
Sep 26, 2006
The Capitol
But in all seriousness lets not forget that the war between the communists and the afghans was instigated by the united states . They did have intelligence indicating that the soviets were not planing to invade so they goaded them into it by suppling the aniti communist rebels (which would later become the mujahedeen ) through Saudi Arabia (Another client state ) They funnelled arms and money to these rebels before the soviet invasion .

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Don't forget Juan we have to fight "them" over there so we don't have to fight them over here .

My reason for posting that thing was to help people better understand who the Taliban were and where they came from. If we go back far enough, I guess we can blame the Russians.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Weird how you left out the part about the destruction of the West- as I understand it, that was their original mission statement

Should be a fun thread, thanks for posting that #juan

Minority Observer84

Theism Exorcist
Sep 26, 2006
The Capitol
My reason for posting that thing was to help people better understand who the Taliban were and where they came from. If we go back far enough, I guess we can blame the Russians.
No the soviets responded to American infestation of Afghanistan American money American arms and more importantly CIA agents on the border , not to say they are not to blame it's a matter of historical record that a lot of atrocities were committed under soviet invasion forces rules but they are not the sole curplit in the international crime that is afghan history .

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I know the Soviets were not impressed when the U.S. made the "Stinger" shoulder fired ground to air missile available to the mujahadin. The damn things were deadly. Russian Attack helicopters were at risk almost everywhere.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Weird how you left out the part about the destruction of the West- as I understand it, that was their original mission statement

Should be a fun thread, thanks for posting that #juan

Yes, "destroy the west" was one of the original pillars of the Taliban. One important other was to rid the country of all foreigners. The Taliban pretty much owed their existance to Pakistan without who's help they couldn't have succeeded as well as they did. As far as I'm concerned, Pakistan is probably the main problem in that part of the world.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Juan

Amen to that brother..

But hey their a pal of the U.S. what can one really expect...?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
lets not forget that the war between the communists and the afghans was instigated by the united states

And let's not forget that it was Reagan who called the Mujahideen ''freedom fighters''.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
No the soviets responded to American infestation of Afghanistan American money American arms and more importantly CIA agents on the border , not to say they are not to blame it's a matter of historical record that a lot of atrocities were committed under soviet invasion forces rules but they are not the sole curplit in the international crime that is afghan history .

Afghanistan was the Russian Viet Nam. The Russians losses in Afghanistan were in about the same order of magnitude as American losses in Viet Nam.(depending who you believe.) The wars were about the same length in years. I don't think the Russian killed nearly as many Afghanis as the Americans killed Viet Namese, but the two campaigns were similar.....both were stupid wars.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Not to stray too far from the topic, I just watched something lastnight about soldiers that disobeied orders and the rise of insubordination nearing the end of the pull out. Ranking officers were being injured by their own men so they said.

I wonder if this will go the same way? Maybe most likely in Iraq.

Afghanistan was the Russian Viet Nam. The Russians losses in Afghanistan were in about the same order of magnitude as American losses in Viet Nam.(depending who you believe.) The wars were about the same length in years. I don't think the Russian killed nearly as many Afghanis as the Americans killed Viet Namese, but the two campaigns were similar.....both were stupid wars.