Hollywood history repeats itself

m_levesque

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Sean Penn

Imagine, for a moment, it's 1939.

A prominent Jewish actor makes the following statement.

"Let me tell you something about Germany, because I've been there and you haven't. Germany is a great country. A great country. Does it have its haters? You bet. Just like the United States has its haters. Does it have a corrupt regime? You bet. Just like the United States has a corrupt regime."

(Story continues below)

What would you think of such a person? How would history judge him?

I don't know that anyone made exactly that statement in 1939. But I do know that Sean Penn made a very similar statement a few days ago. The only difference was the name of the country. Instead of Germany, substitute Iran.

Is there really any moral difference between the statements?

Iran is led today by a president who has repeatedly threatened to eradicate the state of Israel. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is building weapons that can get the job done quicker and more efficiently than Adolph Hitler with his formidable war machine. He is every bit the Jew hater that Hitler was. And he hates America even more.

In 1939, Adolph Hitler had made clear his intentions for the Jews. He had made clear his intentions for all of Europe. He had made clear his intentions for Nazi Germany to dominate the world.

Nevertheless, there were some people in Hollywood who were making statements like that. There were people in Hollywood who were marching against war with Germany. There were people in Hollywood who, like Sean Penn, wanted to appease this evil on the horizon.

No, there was no active Nazi Party in Hollywood at that time. But there was a party under the active control of a foreign totalitarian dictator. It was the Communist Party USA and the foreign tyrant was Josef Stalin.

Why were communists in Hollywood – even Jews – saying nice things about Hitler in 1939 – and even as late as 1941? They were doing so because of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact – also known as the Hitler-Stalin Pact.

It was signed in 1939 and broken June 22, 1941, when the Nazis invaded the Soviet Union.

From 1939 right up until June 22, 1941, the communists in Hollywood had nothing but praise for Hitler. They held rallies against aiding Britain in its life-and-death struggle with Nazism. They gave speeches saying Hitler was no threat. They wrote anti-war scripts.

All that changed June 22, 1941. One day the Hollywood communists were pro-Hitler. The next day they wanted to go to war. Why? Because they took their orders directly from masters in the Soviet Union.

Would it surprise you to learn that one of those prominent Hollywood communist Jews who sided with Germany until the breaking of that Hitler-Stalin Pact was none other than Leo Penn, the late father of Sean Penn.

Amazing? Yes, but true.

You don't believe history repeats itself?

Now it's Sean Penn's turn to relive and recommit the sins of his father, who never repented of his Communist Party activities – activities that included support for and appeasement of Hitler's Germany at the very time the concentration camps were incinerating his Jewish brothers and sisters in Europe.

Penn spoke at a town hall meeting in Oakland last weekend. What he said about his country was shameful. What he said about our country's enemies – and the enemies of freedom throughout the entire world – was even more despicable.

What can you say about a man who embraces and defends Iran, the biggest state sponsor of terrorism in the world today? What can one say about a man who embraces dictators around the world while openly loathing the elected leaders of his own nation? What can one say about such a prominent self-hating Jew?

I think I've said enough.

It's just history repeating itself.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Iran isn't WW2 Germany yet. Firstly by the end of 1939, Germany had already taken over one sovereign country (Czechoslovakia). Iran hasn't done that. Secondly, Germany actually had the military power to take over most of Europe. Iran will make a lot of noise, but they know they don't have the military might to openly declare war on Israel or the US. That's probably why they do sneaky underhanded stuff all the time instead.

You've hit on my pet peeve. Every enemy leader is Hitler, every enemy nation a nazi Germany, every difficult war is Vietnam, anyone who disagrees is a commie... I don't get why we can't just look at a situation for what it is.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Iran isn't WW2 Germany yet. Firstly by the end of 1939, Germany had already taken over one sovereign country (Czechoslovakia). Iran hasn't done that. Secondly, Germany actually had the military power to take over most of Europe. Iran will make a lot of noise, but they know they don't have the military might to openly declare war on Israel or the US. That's probably why they do sneaky underhanded stuff all the time instead.

You've hit on my pet peeve. Every enemy leader is Hitler, every enemy nation a nazi Germany, every difficult war is Vietnam, anyone who disagrees is a commie... I don't get why we can't just look at a situation for what it is.

Here, here

snfu73

disturber of the peace
In what context did he say it in? I would LOVE to go to Iran, because there is so much history there...so much beauty...it seems like such a fascinating country to see...amazing beaches, interesting culture, etc. I think Iran is a great country, filled with very proud people, a strong country....but, at the moment, they have a rather scary leader. But, Iran is still a great country, with a tremendous history.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
In what context did he say it in? I would LOVE to go to Iran, because there is so much history there...so much beauty...it seems like such a fascinating country to see...amazing beaches, interesting culture, etc. I think Iran is a great country, filled with very proud people, a strong country....but, at the moment, they have a rather scary leader. But, Iran is still a great country, with a tremendous history.

sounds just like the US

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary

Here is one big difference. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has the foresite to get the bomb first.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
I would love to go to Iran as well. Huge history from the Persian Empire and more. I hear that ski resorts are springing up in their mountain ranges, too cool. If given the choice between a vaction in the US and Iran I would go with Iran. No xenophobia or discrimination on religious grounds with me. So they are not perfect and have some backward arsed ideas when it comes to women's rights. Let then know while I'm there that they could get more tourists and investments if they lightened up a good bit on that point.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
I would love to go to Iran as well. Huge history from the Persian Empire and more. I hear that ski resorts are springing up in their mountain ranges, too cool. If given the choice between a vaction in the US and Iran I would go with Iran. No xenophobia or discrimination on religious grounds with me. So they are not perfect and have some backward arsed ideas when it comes to women's rights. Let then know while I'm there that they could get more tourists and investments if they lightened up a good bit on that point.
There is a REALLY good pilot guides/lonely planet episode with Ian Wright when he went to Iran that turned me on to the idea of going there. It's cheap, not alot of tourists DO go there, there is all kinds of cool stuff...he went to ancient ruins and was, like, the only person there...no one else goes. That would be amazing. Instead of going to greece or egypt and fighting of hoardes of travellers, you can go there and have the place to yourself. People are, apparently, quite friendly. It sounds great to me.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Henry Ford and Joseph Kenedy were among the hundreds of prominent American industrialists and politicians of the thirtys who praised Nazi Germany and fascism. Ford GM and Du-Pont were just three of many American corporations who did millions of dollars in bussiness with the Nazis for the entire period of the second world war from thier factorys in Germany and France. Ford was paid millions by the US government for the damage his factorys in France and Germany sustained during allied bombing. :lol:

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Iran is like pre-Germany, and the rest of the world is appeasing them.

But thank God our lord and savior, the USA and UK are smart enough not be appeasing Iran but pressuring them.

The Iranian War will be in effect by '08.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Correction: for too long the world has appeased Bush. Today, for the first time the Saudi King finally (yes FINALLY!) admits that Bush is in the wrong. Perhaps the world will now stand up to his criminality. If it does, peace may soon be very possible.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
The USA doesn't care if the world thinks of them.

The USA will elect a Republican sweep in '08 and the USA will go through a 5 decade path to molding the world into what it should be OR accomplish all of that alot quick with WWIII.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

:lol: Have fun! Did you book your trip yet?

Do you think the Mullahs care what you think on Women's Rights? Go talk like that there and you'll find yourself in jail. How naive can you be! You would just be another Westerner trying to undo the Revolution and impose your morales on them. Don't forget your shawl.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The USA doesn't care if the world thinks of them.

The USA will elect a Republican sweep in '08 and the USA will go through a 5 decade path to molding the world into what it should be OR accomplish all of that alot quick with WWIII.

Such arrogance, and 'WHO' is sounding like Hitler now!!!!!

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Sean Penn Under Fire from Former Costar

by Lindsay Robertson · March 29, 2010

Sean Penn's costar in the 1988 cop drama "Colors" has written an impassioned open letter to the actor about recent remarks Penn made praising Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez.
Actor Maria Conchita Alonso penned the letter, titled "An Open Letter to Sean Penn," on the website Newsbusters. In it, she expresses her disappointment at Penn's statements made on the March 5 episode of HBO's "Real Time With Bill Maher." On the panel-based talk show, Penn praised the Venezuelan president, saying Chavez had been elected in "14 of the most transparent elections in the globe, and been elected democratically." Conchita Alonso, who was born in Cuba 52 years ago but raised in Venezuela, begs to differ.
"Dear Sean, WHY?" she begins. "Even though I have great respect for your artistic talent, I was appalled by a recent television interview where you vigorously showed support for the regime of Hugo Chavez. Therefore, I've decided to set the record straight for you regarding the Chavez regime, supporting my case based not only on my political ideologies, but on proven facts you choose to ignore. Otherwise, I believe your position would be different."
In a fervent yet respectful tone, Conchita Alonso goes on to lay out her case against Chavez, citing lack of free speech, disputed elections, international posturing, and escalating violence and poverty, among others, as issues facing Venezuela under and because of Chavez. "My intention isn't to convince you," Conchita Alonso writes, "but to let you know what is truly happening in this beautiful country of noble people, Venezuela. I would encourage you to investigate in depth the 'inside story' and realize for yourself the dark side behind the person you choose to idolize."
In an interview with Fox News today, Conchita Alonso speculated that Penn just doesn't know what he's talking about. "Either he is ignorant in the subject of Venezuela and Chavez -- and by the way, the Castros in Cuba, because, you know, he likes them -- or I don't know why he's talking about that," the former Miss Venezuela said.
Penn, who is currently volunteering in Haiti, is no stranger to the open-letter format. He's written several missives against the war in Iraq and the Bush Administration that have been published on the Huffington Post and elsewhere.
Penn has not yet publicly commented on Conchita Alonso's letter. Conchita Alonso's publicist says Penn "has not been in touch at all" to address her concerns.
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-sean-penn-under-fire.html

Finally an actor that talks from experience, unlike a few here also.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Iran, the biggest state sponsor of terrorism in the world today - M_Levesque

Hmm, I thought that the largest exporter of state sponsored terrorism was the USA. I guess the Iranians must have sneaked in while I wasn't watching.