Ont. Small Town Establishment, Question ?

AndyF

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2007
Ont
I note that some small towns in Ontario claim to have been established prior to the fall of Quebec in 1796. For instance Martintown claims the 1780's.

Got an image of Brits with machete's hacking there way through the Adirondacks just to set up a village behind the French lines.

I'm no history buff so if I don't get my dates right on you know why.:laughing7:

AndyF

m_levesque

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
I note that some small towns in Ontario claim to have been established prior to the fall of Quebec in 1796. For instance Martintown claims the 1780's.

Got an image of Brits with machete's hacking there way through the Adirondacks just to set up a village behind the French lines.

I'm no history buff so if I don't get my dates right on you know why.:laughing7:

AndyF

Well, this was part of the Hudson's Bay Company Grant I think....What's your point anyway?

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
I could see it, they would have been extremely localized and little more than depots and lodging camps for travelling fur traders, but it's likely to be accurate.

For instance, my birthtown Thunder Bay's history states that "European settlement on Thunder Bay began with two French fur trading posts (1679, 1717) which were subsequently abandoned (see Fort William, Ontario). Permanent settlement began in 1803 with the establishment of Fort William (See Fort William Historical Park) by the Montreal-based North West Company as its mid-continent entrepôt."*

* information from Wikipedia.org

AndyF

Electoral Member
Jan 5, 2007
Ont
Well, this was part of the Hudson's Bay Company Grant I think....What's your point anyway?

None

Thanks for the info, but was this by a real formal incorporation procedure, or was it simply a temp indian village used for trading. My research shows HBC was preoccupied with fur trading on the Red River at this time, and did not take a real interest with anything to do with real estate until 1800's. Could be wrong.

Andyf