Somebody asked how Quebec got its name..

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It may upset the soveriegntists, but it is a Native word, bastardized and mispronounced until it became what it is today. Much like the name of our country.

The original name was Kebec, Algonkin, for "Where the river narrows".

[SIZE=+3]Samuel de Champlain[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+3]The Founding of Québec[/SIZE]

[FONT=verdana,arial,tahoma]In Spring of 1608, two ships set sail from France: the Lévier, under the command of Dupont-Gravé (François Gravé, Sieur du Pont, who was also in charge of the expedition), departed on April 5; the Don de Dieu, under the command of Samuel de Champlain, departed on April 13. [/FONT]​

[FONT=verdana,arial,tahoma]On June 3, Champlain arrived in Tadoussac (the only inland trading post and used by all the major European countries) on the north shore of the St. Lawrence River only to discover that Dupont-Gravé had immediately tried to impose the trade monopoly on the Basque and Spanish captains and had been answered with muskets and cannons. Dupont-Gravé was seriously wounded. [/FONT]​

[FONT=verdana,arial,tahoma]Champlain managed to negotiate a truce with the other traders and Dupont-Gravé agreed to share the trade with the Montagnais. The Montagnais were a nomadic people who hunted the lands from the St. Lawrence River to James Bay. By trading furs for flour and other essentials, their survival through the long winters was ensured. There was enough trade to keep all the countries happy. [/FONT]​

[FONT=verdana,arial,tahoma]Meanwhile, Champlain realized that, in order to gain an advantage in the fur trade, he must travel further inland and set up a post there. In July, Champlain set sail up the St. Lawrence River, reaching l'Île d'Orléans on July 8. The shore sparkled in the sunlight and Champlain named it Cap Diamant. At that point, the St. Lawrence was only 1 kilometre (1/2 mile) wide and the cliffs rose almost 100 metres (330 feet) above the river. A small battery of cannons could effectively close off any access to the interior. This is where Champlain decided to create a new settlement, and he would name it Kebec (or Québec, hereafter spelled 'Quebec'), the Algonkin name for 'where the river narrows'. [/FONT]​

[FONT=verdana,arial,tahoma]http://www3.sympatico.ca/goweezer/canada/z16champ3.htm[/FONT]​

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Quote:
[FONT=verdana,arial,tahoma]Meanwhile, Champlain realized that, in order to gain an advantage in the fur trade, he must travel further inland and set up a post there. In July, Champlain set sail up the St. Lawrence River, reaching l'Île d'Orléans on July 8. The shore sparkled in the sunlight and Champlain named it Cap Diamant. At that point, the St. Lawrence was only 1 kilometre (1/2 mile) wide and the cliffs rose almost 100 metres (330 feet) above the river. A small battery of cannons could effectively close off any access to the interior. This is where Champlain decided to create a new settlement, and he would name it Kebec (or Québec, hereafter spelled 'Quebec'), the Algonkin name for 'where the river narrows'. [/FONT]

Bear you are like a refresher course in Canadian History, ta for that.:wave:

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Don't want to spoil your fun CDNbear but I think most Québecois already know that. It's been repeated many times in our history courses and you'd have to be kind of slow not to remember it. I'm from Quebec city though so maybe it was said more than anywhere else in Quebec.

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
Well this encouraged me to dig deeper and I thank you ,in my high school years I remember little of history class, it was boring and nothing like what really happened ,Here in Ontario I learned the real lessons on Canadain history outside the class room and must admit an still learning @ a age past 30 ,,I do hope the schools do a better job now . Anyway I found this link with most provinces and thier origin names
http://www.ainc-inac.gc.ca/pr/info/info106_e.html
heres a taste :
Ontario: this Huron name, first applied to the lake, may be a corruption of onitariio, meaning "beautiful lake," or kanadario, which translates as "sparkling" or "beautiful" water.
Quebec: Aboriginal peoples first used the name kebek for the region around the city of Québec. It refers to the Algonquin word for "narrow passage" or "strait" to indicate the narrowing of the river at Cape Diamond
Agian Thanks for the nudge !!! I so right about the mangling of the words --lol

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Don't want to spoil your fun CDNbear but I think most Québecois already know that. It's been repeated many times in our history courses and you'd have to be kind of slow not to remember it. I'm from Quebec city though so maybe it was said more than anywhere else in Quebec.
You didn't spoil my fun...

You just helped create more fun, lol.

Perhaps in the future I will put a e.t.o.i.q. On all posts aimed at a certain group of people.

What does e.t.o.i.q.l.s.. mean? You ask?

e.t.o.i.l.s.= excluding the obviouly intellegent Quebecois like s_lone.

Fair enough?