Who was the greatest leader in the history of humanity?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Winston Churchill, Franklin Roosevelt, Jesus, Moses, Hitler, Ceasar.....etc?

What do you think? What makes someone a great leader? Are they supposed to inspire the masses?

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
A lot of wars and hard times created great leaders with a built-in wish of the masses waiting
for someone to lead.

But the ones that did not have war to deal with fascinate me the most.

War focuses all those with a unity needed against an external enemy.

But in a time with no external enemy to harness any masses, a leader who arises to change
the status quo ?

A Jesus ?

A Cincinatti ? Even if the facts don't support the legend there. The idea of a citizen farmer
coming to fix corruption and repair a failed government is still quite intriguing and legendary.
And then LEAVE. Who gives up power willingly ?

Or how about a leader of ideas ?

How much more revolutionary? A Darwin ? An Einstein ? Freud?

Or writers, artists, poets ?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The first name that comes to me is Winston Churchill. Churchill was probably the geatest wartime leader in what we call the "free world". After the war the British threw him out on his ear.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Does my answer have to be in the Realm of Reality? I can't think of one leader that I would classify as "Great" however I really admired Jean Luc of the Star Ship Enterpise he'd get my vote. "Make it so."
Sorry didn't mean to hyjack this thread.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Does my answer have to be in the Realm of Reality? I can't think of one leader that I would classify as "Great" however I really admired Jean Luc of the Star Ship Enterpise he'd get my vote. "Make it so."
Sorry didn't mean to hyjack this thread.

I'll second your vote for Jean Luc. Beam me up.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Winston Churchill, Franklin Roosevelt, Jesus, Moses, Hitler, Ceasar.....etc?

What do you think? What makes someone a great leader? Are they supposed to inspire the masses?

He wasn't a politician, so imagine my surprise at seeing his name amongst a list of politicians. However, Jesus was clearly, in my opinion, the most influential human-God in history

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
I think it would be Jesus....Even if you didn't think of him in a holy way it would still be him. What one man has affected so many for so long...

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Good answer Bill, I'll vote for Jesus. I'd be to afraid not to, lapsed Catholic and all.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Greatest leader? Hands down, Tony Soprano. He could kick that prissy Jean-luc's ass with one hand tied behind his back and a cigar butt wedged in the corner of his mouth.

Seriously though, Ghandi was pretty cool.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
I've always thought that the women do very well when leading the world. Queen Elizabeth the 1st and 2nd, Queen Vic, Indira Gandhi, Golda Meir, Catherine the Great. I was even impressed by Kim Campbell. personally I like Winston, Che Guevara, Mao and the Duke Of Wellington.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
I think perhaps Queen Elizabeth the first...

Simply because she took on the might of the male-dominated world and pretty much kicked ass all over the world. But otherwise:

Ghandi - gotta be Ghandi, as an Englishman, I don't even respect Churchill as much as him...what a man, see this is the respect that George Washington could have attained if he'd gone to Britain, stayed with the poor, said "look I'm one of you, were all down-trodden by the British government, but you are all my brother's and sisters" - nope, no comparison at all

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The first name that comes to me is Winston Churchill. Churchill was probably the geatest wartime leader in what we call the "free world". After the war the British threw him out on his ear.

And then he was re-elected in the 1950s. He was Prime Minister twice.

When he lost the election, someone asked him if the British public are being ungrateful. Churchill replied that they weren't being ungrateful but that he was voted out of office because the British people wanted to forget about the horrors of the War.

In 2002, Churchill was voted the greatest Briton ever on BBC's "100 Greatest Britons."

He was British Prime Minister from 10 May 194027 July 1945 and from 26 October 19517 April 1955. His first Deputy Prime Minister was Clement Atlee and his second was Anthony Eden. Atlee and Eden also became Prime Minister - Atlee twice. Churchill died in 1965 and was given a huge state funeral.

"Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill KG OM CH TD FRS PC (Can) (30 November 187424 January 1965) was an English statesman and author, best known as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom during the Second World War. Well-known as an orator, strategist, and politician, Churchill was one of the most important leaders in modern British and world history. He won the 1953 Nobel Prize in Literature for his many books on English and world history. Sir Winston Churchill was voted the greatest-ever Briton in the 2002 BBC poll the 100 Greatest Britons.

Churchill's legal surname was Spencer-Churchill (he was related to the Spencer family), but starting with his father, Lord Randolph Churchill, his branch of the family used the name Churchill in their public life.

Winston Churchill was a descendant of the first famous member of the Churchill family, John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough. Winston's politician father, Lord Randolph Churchill, was the third son of the 7th Duke of Marlborough; Winston's mother was Lady Randolph Churchill (née Jennie Jerome), daughter of American millionaire Leonard Jerome.
Winston Churchill was born in Blenheim Palace in Woodstock, Oxfordshire on 30th November 1874.

As was typical for upper-class boys at that time, he spent much of his childhood at boarding schools. At Harrow School, he had an independent and rebellious nature and generally did poorly, for which he was punished. However, he did well in English and history. He was also the school's fencing champion. He was rarely visited by his mother (then known as Lady Randolph), whom he loved very dearly, and wrote letters begging her to either come or let his father permit him to come home. As an adult, Winston developed a closer, sibling-like relationship with his mother.

He followed his father's career keenly but had a distant relationship with him. His desolate, lonely childhood stayed with him throughout his life. On the other hand, as a child he was very close to his nanny, Elizabeth Anne Everest.

Second term as Prime Minister

Churchill was restless and bored as leader of the Conservative opposition in the immediate post-war years. After Labour's defeat in the General Election of 1951, Churchill again became Prime Minister. His third government — after the wartime national government and the brief caretaker government of 1945 — would last until his resignation in 1955. During this period, he renewed what he called the "special relationship" between Britain and the United States, and engaged himself in the formation of the post-war order.

Churchill with Canadian Prime Minister Louis St. Laurent in 1954

His domestic priorities were, however, overshadowed by a series of foreign policy crises, which were partly the result of the continued decline of British military and imperial prestige and power. Being a strong proponent of Britain as an international power, Churchill would often meet such moments with direct action.
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/
The Mau Mau Rebellion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mau_Mau_Uprising
In 1951, grievances against the colonial distribution of land came to a head with the Kenya Africa Union demanding greater representation and land reform. When these demands were rejected, more radical elements came forward, launching the Mau Mau rebellion in 1952. On 17 August 1952, a state of emergency was declared, and British troops were flown to Kenya to deal with the rebellion. As both sides increased the ferocity of their attacks, the country moved to full-scale civil war.

In 1953, the Lari massacre, perpetrated by Mau-Mau insurgents against Kikuyu loyal to the British, changed the political complexion of the rebellion and gave the public-relations advantage to the British. Churchill's strategy was to use a military stick combined with implementing many of the concessions that Attlee's government had blocked in 1951. He ordered an increased military presence and appointed General Sir George Erskine, who would implement Operation Anvil in 1954 that broke the back of the rebellion in the city of Nairobi. Operation Hammer, in turn, was designed to root out rebels in the countryside. Churchill ordered peace talks opened, but these collapsed shortly after his leaving office.

wikipedia.org

Last edited:

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
It's hard to say because there have been many great war leaders, all at there respected times and all are products of there time, or were a little ahead of there time.

But truly I would have to say out of all of them the only one which was truly scores ahead of his time, was great at a young age, did what no other would do for hundreds of years, and really never truly copied was Alexander the Great. With what he had at hand, in the time it took him to do it and for his leadership skills nobody compairs to Alexander the great.