Ipperwash another bloody story

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
The Ipperwash Crisis was an Indigenous land dispute that occurred in Ipperwash Provincial Park, Ontario in 1995. Several members of the Stoney Point Ojibway band occupied the park in order to assert their claim to the land. This led to a violent confrontation between protestors and the Ontario Provincial Police, who killed protestor Dudley George. The ensuing controversy was a major event in Canadian politics, and a provincial inquiry investigating the events continues today.

Contents [hide]
1 Background
2 Occupation of the park
3 Death of Dudley George
4 Consequences
5 Inquiry
6 See also
7 References
8 External links

[edit]
Background
In 1936, the Province of Ontario created Ipperwash Provincial Park.

In 1942, during World War II, the Government of Canada wanted reserve land from the Stoney Point Band and offered to buy it for $15 per acre, and a promise to return the land after the war ended. The Natives rejected the offer, and in response, the federal government appropriated the Stoney Point Reserve under the War Measures Act. The First Nations claim that the grounds contain a burial site.[1]

[edit]
Occupation of the park
On Labour Day Monday, September 4, 1995, a group of natives started a protest in Ipperwash Provincial Park to draw attention to the decades-old land claims. The park had closed at 6:00 p.m., and by 7:30, protestors had cut back a fence and moved vehicles into the Park. About thirty-five protestors occupied the park. The occupation came as no surprise to local police, as they had been threatening to occupy the park since the previous May. The original OPP strategy was to co-occupy the Park peacefully with the First Nations occupiers. However, event came to a crisis when a Native from the group smashed the window of a police cruiser. The OPP decided not to engage the Natives and pulled back from the Park.

In anticipation of the move on the Park by the Stoney Point First Nations, the OPP had prepared a contingency plan named Project Maple. The plan stressed "a peaceful resolution", and called for a team of two negotiators to be on call around the clock.

Ontario PC M.P. Marcel Beaubien was in contact with the police the following day[2], and Beaubien also contacted the office of the Premier, Mike Harris[3] in an attempt to put pressure on the government to intervene[4]. On Tuesday, September 5, 1995 several government officials were involved in a meeting in Toronto to discuss the Ipperwash protest. The meeting notes conclude that "The province will take steps to remove the occupiers as soon as possible."

[edit]
Death of Dudley George
On Wednesday, the OPP became concerned about a group of Native occupiers which had wandered outside of the Park and into the Sandy Park lot area adjacent to the cottages. The group was carrying bats and sticks in their hands. There is some debate as to the number of the group, though police reports indicate a group of up to 8. There was also misinformation about damage that had been done to a Band Councillor's car by this group of occupiers. The damage to the Councillor's car was by a rock thrown by one of the occupiers who took exception to an article the Councillor had written disapproving of the occupation. This was reported as the occupiers smashing up the vehicle of a female driver with baseball bats. At the same time there was reported vehicle activity inside the Park.

Out of public safety concerns, the OPP decided to deploy the Crowd Management Unit (CMU) to force the Native occupiers back into the Park. The CMU was essentially a riot squad armed with ASP batons, shields and helmets. The CMU was backed up by a Tactical Response Unit, which is a Canadian SWAT team. The plan was that this show of force would convince the Native occupiers to return inside the Park.

On Wednesday evening, police riot marched down to the Sandy Parking Lot to confront the Natives. As the CMU advanced the Natives intially retreated back and the CMU responded by retreating back. A particular occupier, Cecil Bernard George charged the police and attempted to strike at the shield of a CMU officer. Cecil Bernard was taken down and surrounded by police and arrested. Native occupiers poured out of the Park and accosted the police. This resulted in a riot scene. A car and a school bus driven by Natives started coming out of the park to assist the Native occupiers. It was alleged that the car and the bus were driving directly into police officers who were diving out of the way to avoid being struck.

According to police officers there was gunfire from the vehicles. This is denied by the First Nations occupiers who insisted there were no weapons in the Park that night.

Various police officers fired on vehicles. Among the police was Acting Sergeant Ken "Tex" Deane, who was a member of the TRU and carried a Heckler and Koch submachine gun, which has been common amongst SWAT Teams for years.

Near the park entrance, Deane fired three shots at Dudley George, who was about fifteen feet from the park entrance[5], and was hit and badly injured. Deane later claimed he had mistaken the elongated dark coloured branch which George was carrying for a rifle.

George had been shot with a hollow point bullet, a type of bullet that had been commonly used by law-enforcement for decades. The design of hollow point bullets result in impacts that can cause severe internal injury, and in this case, they did.

George was declared dead at 12:20 a.m. on September 7, 1995 at nearby Strathroy Middlesex General Hospital, in Strathroy, Ontario.

[edit]
Consequences
Acting Sergeant Ken Deane was convicted of criminal negligence causing death. Deane's defence was that he had believed that Dudley George was carrying a rifle. The judge rejected Deane's claim, but sentenced Deane to a conditional sentence two years less a day to be served in the community (not in custody).

Despite Deane's conviction, larger questions about the role of the office of PC Premier Mike Harris remained. Some argued that Harris urged strong police action in Ipperwash because a similar incident – the Oka crisis in Quebec – had caused the public to view the Quebec government as weak, and that this view contributed to the government's defeat in the next election. Some also believe that as Harris' government had been newly elected, they were attempting to signal a departure from the policies of the previous NDP government of Bob Rae and may also have been inexperienced in dealing with crises.

[edit]
Inquiry
The George family repeatedly called on the Ontario and federal governments to launch an inquiry into the events at Ipperwash. An investigation was launched on November 12, 2003, after the Ontario Conservatives lost power to the Ontario Liberal Party in the 2003 provincial election.

In Ontario, a public inquiry is funded by the Government of Ontario but conducted by a neutral third party. The mandate of the Ipperwash Inquiry is to investigate and report on the events leading to the death of Dudley George, and to make recommendations that would help prevent similar circumstances. The inquiry is neither a civil nor criminal trial.

During the inquiry, a 17-minute tape recording surfaced that cast new light on the events at Ipperwash. The tape records a conversation between OPP Inspector Ron Fox and Inspector John Carson, the OPP commander overseeing the standoff at Ipperwash, prior to Dudley George's death. In it, they discuss the Premier's view that the government has "tried to pacify and pander to these people far too long" and to use "swift affirmative action" to remove them from the park.

Other testimony has further put the Harris government in a bad light. In particular, former Harris aide, Deb Hutton repeatedly testified in November, 2005, that she couldn't remember any specific conversations, leading one cross-examiner to pointedly remark that she had used phrases such as "I don't recall" or "I don't specifically recall" on 134 separate occasions[6]. Also former Ontario Provincial Attorney General Charles Harnick testified that Harris used profanity (shouting, "I want the fucking Indians out of the park.")[7], although later witnesses denied Harnick's evidence.

Former Premier Mike Harris appeared before the inquiry on February 14, 2006. He testified that he had never said the statement attributed to him by Harnick. [8]

A tape recording made the day before Dudley George was killed heard then OPP Sgt. Stan Korosec, in charge of the OPP emergency response team at Ipperwash, say "We want to amass a fucking army. A real fucking army and do this. Do these fuckers big-time."

The evidentiary hearings of the inquiry ended on June 28, 2006. The final report and findings of the inquiry has yet to be released.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm glad you posted this Researcher. It was a contentious topic in my house for quite some time. In fact so much so that my 5 year old son once asked an OPP officer that pulled me over for a spot check if he had shot Dudley George.

The insuing criminal charges levied against Sgt Keane and the conviction resulting from those charges that led to his sentence of 200 hours of community service and 2 years probation, spurned me to ask the question....

How is a Natives life like a BBQ?

You see my very first criminal conviction as an adult, was for being in posession of a stolen BBQ. A charge I did not fight on the terms that it was conditional in my behaving from there on out and would be exponged at the end of my sentence. But my sentence puzzled me after Sgt. Keane was sentenced. I recieved the very same sentence.

So you can see my confusion, right??

Despite my obvious ties to and support of the Native community, I feel that shifting blame from the officer who failed to perform his duties in accordance with his mandate. To peraphrase some Warrant Officer I heard one time, "When you're waiting to see the whites of their eyes, don't blow your wad!" I took that to mean, keep calm and don't pull the trigger until the appropriate time. Harris's finger wasn't on the trigger, Keane's was. And as any good soldier knows, you can refuse to follow orders that contradict the Rules of Engagement or the law.