Jester completes 100-mile tribute

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Jester completes 100-mile tribute

Mr Cooper said he had enjoyed the four-week jig

An Elizabethan-style court jester has completed a 100-mile jig in a tribute to a 16th Century forbear.

English Heritage's Peterkin the Fool - aka Peet Cooper - left Bristol on 12 July aiming to dance to Northampton.

Inspired by the Shakespearean actor Will Kemp, he dressed in traditional 16th Century costume.

Mr Cooper, 43, from Bristol, danced into Kelmarsh Hall, Northampton, on Wednesday. He said despite the pain and tiredness he would do it again.

"I feel saddened that it's all over," he said. "The people who met us and jigged with us on the way were fantastic and on the whole very enthusiastic."

Mr Cooper said the jester still had an important role to play in modern society.

"I think the fool is the person who lives deep inside of all of us. We are very good at being self-important and pompous and foolishness is the right way to get rid of some of that," he said.

In 1599, Will Kemp danced from London to Norwich in what came to be known as the Nine Daie's Wonder.

The completion of the jig coincides with the start of English Heritage's Festival of History.
--------------------------

(Kemp said the jig took place in 1599, but it actually took place in 1600)

news.bbc.co.uk

Will Kemp's Jig

Will Kemp's Jig is the amazing story of a man who once danced all the way from London to Norwich (it is about 80 miles (132 km) and it took him nine days) and of how, in one town, a young lady came out and danced a mile with him to keep him company. That was in 1599, and he made a bet, that he could do this in less than 10 days. As you know, he won the bet and then wrote the tale as "The Nine Daie's wonder".

Will Kemp was bet a hundred pounds that he couldn't jig a hundred miles. As the story goes, he won the bet and the tune "Kemp's Jig" was written to celebrate the event. Kemp's Jig is a well known piece from the renaissance originally written for lute.

Will Kemp was known to be purveyor of "mad jests and merry jigs" and was a famous Elizabethan actor and a shareholder with Shakespeare in the Company of the Lord Chamberlain's Men. It is probable that many of the Bard's comic roles were written with Kemp in mind.

----------------------------------------------------------------
In February and March of 1600, Kemp undertook what he would later call his "Nine Days Wonder", in which he morris danced from London to Norwich (a distance of over a hundred miles) in a journey which took him nine days spread over several weeks, often amid cheering crowds. Later that year he published a description of the event in order to prove to doubters that it was true. (The year he gives was 1599 Old Style, which has caused some later confusion. That Kemp's jig took place in 1600 (New Style) is established by a record of the payment of his prize money by the Norwich Town Council.)

Kemps nine daies wonder

Performed in a daunce from London to Norwich. Containing the pleasure, paines and kinde entertainment of William Kemp between London and that Citty in his late Morrice. Wherein is somewhat set downe worth note; to reproove the slaunders spred of him: many things merry, nothing hurtfull.

LONDON

Printed by E.A. for Nicholas Ling, and are to be solde at his shop at the west door of Saint Paules Church. 1600.
-------

The first daies journey,
being the first Munday in cleane Lent, from the right honorable the Lord Mayors of London.

The first mundaye in Lant, the close morning promising a cleere day, (attended on by Thomas Slye my Taberer, William Bee my servant and George Sprat, appointed for my overseer, that I should take no other ease but my prescribed order) my selfe, thats I, otherwise called Caualiero Kemp, head-Master of Morrice-dauncers, high Head-borough of heighs, and onely tricker of your Trill-lilles, and best bel-shangles betweene Sion and mount Surrey [Sion neere Brainford, and mount Surrey by Norwich.] began frolickly to foote it, from the right honorable the Lord Mayors of London, towards the right worshipfull (and truly bountifull) Master Mayors of Norwich.

My setting forward was somewhat before seaven in the morning, my Taberer stroke up merrily, and as fast as kinde peoples thronging together would give me leave, thorow London I leapt: By the way many good olde people and divers others of yonger yeeres, of meere kindness, gave me bowd sixpences and grotes, blessing me with their harty prayers and God-speedes.

Seeing past White chappell, and having left faire London, with all that North-east Suburb before named, multitudes of Londoners left not me: but eyther to keepe a custome which many holde, that Mile-end is no walke without a recreatio at Stratford Bow with Creame and Cakes, or else for love they beare toward me, or perhappes to make themselves merry, if I should chance (as many thought) to give over my Morrice within a mile of Mile-end. How ever, many a thousand brought me to Bow, where I rested a while from dancing, but had small rest with those that would have urg'd me to drinking. But I warrant you Will Kemp was wise enough: to their ful cups, kinde thanks was my returne, with Gentlemanlike protestations: as, truely sir, I dare not: it stands not with the congruity of my health. Congruitie said I: how came that strange language in my mouth: I thinke scarcely that it is any Christen worde, and yet it may be a good worde for uoght I knowe, though I never made it, nor doe verye well understand it; yet I am sure I have bought it at the word-mongers, at as deare a rate as I could have had a whole 100. of Bavines at the wood-mongers. Farewell Congruitie for I meane now to be more concise, and stand upon evener bases: but I must neither stand nor sit, the Tabrer strikes alarum. Tickle it good Tom, Ile follow thee. Farewell Bowe, have over the Bridge, where I once heard say, honest Conscience was once drownd. Its pittye if it were so: but thats no matter belonging to our Morrice, lets now along to Stratford Langton.

To read the rest of the account, written in 1600, go here -

http://www.eaasdc.de/history/shekempj.htm