Lame Political Stunts

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
What are some of the lamest political stunts you've seen?

The first that comes to my mind is Bill Vanderzalm trying to get blue collar support in a BC election by promising to make beer more affordable.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The move by the Liberal Party of British Columbia and the Conservative Party of Canada (in a coalition, at the time) of moving to a single-transferable vote system, in order to block the election of the increasingly popular Social Credit Party of British Columbia, only for the plan to backfire on both of them and rocket the SCP into a majority government.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
hmmmm....lamest political stunt, what comes to mind???? Oh yes, the Liberals and NDP reaction to the softwood deal in question period. :lol:

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
It doesn't stick in your craw even a little that the US is keeping $1 billion of our money that they took illegally?

Lamest political stunt I've seen: the focus on gay marriage right before elections in both Canada and the US as a way of scaring people into voting a certain way. Nothing unites like irational fear and bigotry:)

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Hm... one of the lamest stunts would have to be the Conservative Party of Canada urging members to defeat the budget in order to defeat same-sex marriage; the Conservatives urging Senators to defeat the same-sex marriage legislation; some Conservatives urging the Governor General to withhold consent; and, some Conservatives sending letters to Her Majesty asking her to intervene.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Re: RE: Lame Political Stunts

tracy said:
It doesn't stick in your craw even a little that the US is keeping $1 billion of our money that they took illegally?

Lamest political stunt I've seen: the focus on gay marriage right before elections in both Canada and the US as a way of scaring people into voting a certain way. Nothing unites like irational fear and bigotry:)

Mid term elections are coming down south. Get out the popcorn.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
...when the Conservative Party of Canada and the Bloc Québécois united to shut down the House of Commons by moving to adjourn as the first order of business, and denying quorum to the House's various committees.

They didn't stop until the Government of Canada got fed up with their antics, and voted in favour of their adjournment motion, passing it unanimously. I guess their "protest" didn't seem as fulfilling once the Government had decided to play along.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The BC NDP "Fair Wage" policy was a sham. "Fair Wage" was code for Union-only government contracts.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
The U.S. has far more serious issues facing the country than the issue of gay marriage.

War in Iraq

War in Iran looming possibility

Being overrun and co-opted by Mexican nationals in illegal and budget busting systematic takeover

Terrorist attack still on high alert

Trade agreements falling apart

and the most poorly managed one of all - Energy (Oil) consumption

Sorry gay activists..... back of the bus with your hopes.... and I wish that was all we had to discuss. The gay activists were the people to bring up that topic before the elections and as activists they will again - that is their lobbying right and good for them. It is not the primary issue of election consideration however.

Must make Canadians enjoy some shadenfreude to see the country on its knees.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
WC, that was kind of my point. I couldn't believe how much air time gay marriage got when Americans have so many other imo more important issues to deal with. Same thing in Canada. This really isn't about everybody hating America since it was no different north of the border.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
The lamest political stunt of the 20th century has got to be the Kenneth Star debacle of chasing down Clinton, to uncover NOTHING, I repeat, NOTHING, other than getting head and in turn lying under oath.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I think not said:
The lamest political stunt of the 20th century has got to be the Kenneth Star debacle of chasing down Clinton, to uncover NOTHING, I repeat, NOTHING, other than getting head and in turn lying under oath.

Isn't that the truth. What a farce that was.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
How about Pat Robertson running for Republican Presidential candidate - "God told me to run for President".

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Clinton was never charged.....

...with the crimes he was actually guilty of. Now that would have been good use of the government's time instead of a stupid sex addiction.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Clinton got a BJ, and G.W. killed 70,000 people. What's the difference? :roll: :x

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Re Billy Clinton - I won't bore everyone with the whole story ..
Here are a few excerpts of Billy's hindsights are better........
Such a courageous leader !! An icon. A pillar of honesty.

In the long term a BJ is incidental in Billy's life and his care for his country.

THE (oops!) TRUTH

"In this interdependent world, we should still have a preference for peace over war....

But sometimes we would have these debates where people would say, if I didn't take some military action this very day, people would look down their nose at America and think we were weak. And I always thought of Senator Fulbright.... 6

So anytime somebody said in my presence, 'Hey, if you don't do this, people will think you're weak,' I always asked the same question for eight years, 'Can we kill 'em tomorrow?'

I don't think we can bring 'em back tomorrow, but can we kill 'em tomorrow? If we can kill them tomorrow, then we're not weak.... 1
I learned that as a 20-year-old kid watching Bill Fulbright. Listening."

bill clinton
Fulbright Prize address
April 12, 2006
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mr. bin Laden used to live in Sudan. He was expelled from Saudi Arabia in '91 and he went to the Sudan.

We'd been hearing that the Sudanese wanted America to start dealing with them again. They released him [bin Laden].

At the time, '96, he had committed no crime against America, so I did not bring him here because we had no basis on which to hold him, though we knew he wanted to commit crimes against America.

So I pleaded with the Saudis to take him, 'cause they could have; but they thought it was a hot potato. They didn't and that's how he wound up in Afghanistan."

bill clinton
Sunday, Aug. 11, 2002
Clinton Reveals on Secret Audio:
I Nixed Bin Laden Extradition Offer
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I remember exactly what happened. Bruce Lindsey said to me on the phone, 'My God, a second plane has hit the tower.' And I said, 'Bin Laden did this.' that's the first thing I said. He said, 'How can you be sure?' I said 'Because only bin Laden and the Iranians could set up the network to do this and they [the Iranians] wouldn't do it because they have a country in targets. Bin Laden did it.'

I thought that my virtual obsession 2 with him was well placed and I was full of regret that I didn't get him."

bill clinton
Sunday, Sept 3, 2002
Larry King Live
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You know... the job which we should have done 1... which should have been our primary focus, to find [you know] bin Laden and eliminate al Qaeda."

hillary clinton
Saturday, Jan. 28, 2006
Chitchat with Jane Pauley
San Francisco, CA
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And finally the truth:
At the time, clinton observed: "I made more progress in the Middle East than I did between Socks and Buddy."
Retrospectively, it is clear that clinton's characterization was not correct.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Even half of the country still thinks of Bill Clinton
like all outsiders do.

Bill Clinton was very very smooth, a damn good
master at damage control that makes Nixon look
like a stupid teenager who got caught.

Fred Thomson, recently visible on the Law and Order
series, was a Senator of Tennessee and is why Gore
lost his home state, conducted a summer of hearings
on why the Clinton Whitehouse had the FBI profile
folders of every Republican in its hands.

The FBI director blew the whistle and wondered how
the Whitehouse got these folders.

Of course the FBI director was bypassed on this
Whitehouse request for those folders and the FBI
director took a beating for not running his own house
in order.

But the issue was Bill Clinton claiming he didn't know
how they got there. A summer of saying that.

And just remember the Israeli Mossad was listening
in on most of Monica Lewinsky's calls to the White House.

It never was about a BLOW JOB.

It was always about a SNOW JOB.