Scottish wars of Independence

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Background
King Alexander III of Scotland died in 1286, leaving his three-year old grand-daughter Margaret (called 'the Maid of Norway') as his heir. In 1290, the Guardians of Scotland signed the Treaty of Birgham agreeing to the marriage of the Maid of Norway and Edward of Caernarvon, the son of Edward I, who was Margaret's great-uncle. This marriage would create a union between Scotland and England. The Scots insisted that the Treaty declare that Scotland was separate and divided from England and that its rights, laws, liberties and customs were wholly and inviolably preserved for all time.

However, Margaret, travelling to her new kingdom, died shortly after landing on the Orkney Islands around September 26, 1290. With her death, the House of Dunkeld came to an end and thirteen competitors claimed their rights to the Scottish crown. The two main competitors were Robert Bruce, 5th Lord of Annandale (grandfather of the future King Robert the Bruce) and John Balliol, Lord of Galloway. Fearing civil war between the Bruce and Balliol families and their supporters, the Guardians of Scotland wrote to Edward I of England, asking him to come north and arbitrate among the claimants in order to avoid civil war. Edward I saw this as the opportunity he had long been waiting for to conquer Scotland as he had conquered Wales and rule over all the British Isles.

Edward came north in 1291 and asserted that he had come as the Lord Paramount of Scotland to act as the adviser on the successor to the Scottish Crown and had to be recognised as Lord Paramount. This put the Scots in a very vulnerable position. All during the meeting, Edward had his army standing by in case of trouble. He gave the claimants three weeks to agree to his terms. With no King and with no army ready, the Scots had little choice, and the claimants acknowledged Edward as their Lord Paramount and were willing to receive his judgement. Their decision might have been influenced by the fact that the majority of the claimants had large estates in England and therefore would have lost these estates if they had defied Edward.

On June 11, acting as the Lord Paramount of Scotland, Edward I ordered that on a "temporary basis" every Scottish Castle be placed under his control and all Scottish officials were to resign their offices and be re-appointed by him. Two days later, in Upsettlington, the Guardians and the leading Scottish nobles gathered to swear allegiance to King Edward I as their superior and Lord Paramount. All Scots were also required to pay homage to Edward I, either in person or at one of the designated centres by July 27, 1291.

There were thirteen meetings from May to August 1291 at Berwick, where the claimants pleaded their claim before Edward in what came to be known as the 'Great Cause.' The claims of most of the competitors were rejected as they were of illegitimate descent and the choice was between Balliol, Bruce and John de Hastings, 2nd Baron Hastings. Hastings wished the kingdom to be divided in three equal parts, for the three men; while Balliol and Bruce maintained that the country was indivisible. The Scots obviously wanted to keep the country together, so Hastings was disqualified. On August 3, Edward asked both Balliol and Bruce to choose forty arbiters each, while he chose twenty-four, to decide the case. There was then an adjournment until June 1292. Upon reconvening, the 104 arbiters wouldn't make a firm decision on the claimants. There was another recess until October 10, 1292, and at this time Edward got the arbiters to agree that as Lord Paramount of Scotland, he had the right to grant the kingship of Scotland as he would an earldom or barony.

He chose Balliol on November 17, 1292 and on November 30, he was crowned as King of Scots at Scone Abbey. On December 26, at Newcastle upon Tyne, King John swore homage to Edward I for the kingdom of Scotland. Edward soon made it clear that he regarded the country as his vassal state. Balliol was too weak to resist, and the Scots resented Edward's demands. In 1294, Edward summoned John Balliol to appear before him, and then ordered that he had until September 1, 1294 to provide Scottish troops and funds for his invasion of France.

On his return to Scotland, John held a meeting with his council and after a few days of heated debate plans were made to defy the orders of Edward I. A few weeks later a Scottish parliament was hastily convened and twelve members of a war council (four Earls, Barons, and Bishops respectively) were selected to advise King John.

Emissaries were immediately dispatched to inform King Philip IV of France of the intentions of the English. They also negotiated a treaty by which the Scots would invade England if the English invaded France, and in return the French would support the Scots. The treaty would be sealed by the arranged marriage of Edward Balliol (John's son) and Jeanne de Valois (Philip's niece). Another treaty with King Eric II of Norway was hammered out, in which for the sum of fifty thousand groats he would supply one hundred battleships for four months of the year, so long as hostilities between France and England continued. Although Norway never acted, the Franco-Scottish alliance, later known as the Auld Alliance, was effective until 1560.

It was not until 1295 that Edward I was even aware of the secret Franco-Scottish negotiations. In early October, Edward began to strengthen his northern defences against a possible invasion by a revitalised Scottish army. It was also at this point that Robert Bruce, 6th Lord of Annandale (father of the future King Robert the Bruce) was appointed governor of Carlisle Castle. Edward also ordered John Balliol to relinquish control of the castles and burghs of Berwick, Jedburgh and Roxburgh. In December, more than two hundred of Edward's tenants in Newcastle were summoned to form a militia by March 1296 and in February, a fleet of ships sailed north to rendezvous with his land forces in Newcastle.

The build up of English forces south of the Anglo-Scottish border did not go undetected and in response, King John Balliol summoned all able-bodied Scotsmen to bear arms and converge near the border at Caddonlee by March 11. Several of the Scottish nobles choose to ignore the summons, including Robert Bruce, Earl of Carrick, whose father had his Annandale estate seized by John Balliol and reassigned to John 'The Red' Comyn, Earl of Buchan.

The First War of Scottish Independence can be loosely divided into four phases: the initial English invasion and success in 1296; the campaigns led by William Wallace, Andrew de Moray and various Scottish Guardians from 1297 until John Comyn negotiated for the general Scottish submission in February 1304; the renewed campaigns led by Robert the Bruce between his coronation in 1306 and the Scottish victory at Bannockburn in 1314; and a final phase of Scottish diplomatic initiatives and military campaigns in Scotland, Ireland and Northern England from 1314 until the Treaty of Edinburgh-Northampton in 1328.

The war began in earnest with Edward I's sacking of Berwick in March 1296, followed by the Scottish defeat at the Battle of Dunbar and the abdication of John Balliol in July. The English invasion campaign had subdued most of the country by August and, after removing the Stone of Destiny from Scone Abbey and transporting it to Westminster Abbey, Edward convened a parliament at Berwick, where the Scottish nobles paid homage to him as King of England. Scotland had been all but conquered.

The revolts which broke out in early 1297, led by William Wallace, Andrew de Moray and other Scottish nobles, forced Edward to send more forces to deal with the Scots, and although they managed to force the nobles to capitulate at Irvine, Wallace and de Moray's continuing campaigns eventually led to the first key Scottish victory, at Stirling Bridge. This was followed by Scottish raids into northern England and the appointment of Wallace as Guardian of Scotland in March 1298. But in July, Edward invaded again, intending to crush Wallace and his followers, and defeated the Scots at Falkirk. Although Edward failed to subdue Scotland completely before returning to England, Wallace's military reputation was ruined, and he went into hiding, resigning the guardianship.

Wallace was succeeded by Robert Bruce and John Comyn as joint guardians, with William Lamberton, Bishop of St Andrews being appointed in 1299 as a third, neutral Guardian to try and maintain order between them. During that year, diplomatic pressure from France and Rome persuaded Edward to release the imprisoned King John into the custody of the Pope, and Wallace was sent to France to seek the aid of Philip IV, he possibly also travelled to Rome.

Further campaigns by Edward in 1300 and 1301 led to a truce between the Scots and the English in 1302. After another campaign in 1303/1304, Stirling Castle, the last major Scottish held stronghold, fell to the English, and in February 1304, negotiations led to most of the remaining nobles paying homage to Edward and to the Scots all but surrendering. At this point, Robert Bruce and William Lamberton made a secret bond of alliance, aiming to place Bruce on the Scottish throne and continue the struggle.

After the capture and execution of Wallace in 1305, Scotland seemed to have been finally conquered and the revolt calmed for a period. But in 1306, during a meeting between Bruce and Comyn, the two surviving claimants for the Scottish throne, Bruce quarrelled with and killed John Comyn. Comyn, it seems, had broken an agreement between the two, and informed King Edward of Bruce's plans to be king. The agreement was that one of the two claimants would renounce his claim on the throne of Scotland, but receive lands from the other and support his claim. Comyn appears to have thought to get both the lands and the throne by betraying Bruce to the English. A messenger carrying documents from Comyn to Edward was captured by Bruce and his party, plainly implicating Comyn. Bruce then rallied the Scottish prelates and nobles behind him and had himself crowned King of Scots at Scone. He then began a new campaign to free his kingdom. After being defeated in battle he was driven from the Scottish mainland as an outlaw. While hiding in a damp cave, considering giving up his seemingly forlorn cause, Bruce is reported to have watched a small spider trying to spin a line across a seemingly impossibly wide gap. As Bruce watched, the spider tried and tried and tried. "Foolish spider" thought Bruce, but continued to watch. Suddenly, the spider succeeded in leaping across the gap with its thread. Bruce considered this, and took it as an encouragement that he, too, should continue to persevere regardless of seeming circumstances. Bruce later came out of hiding in 1307. The Scots thronged to him, and he defeated the English in a number of battles. His forces continued to grow in strength, encouraged in part by the death of Edward I in July 1307.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wars_of_Scottish_Independence#The_First_War_of_Independence:_1296-1328

The Scots almost won this war it seems. Very cool.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Now the Scots rule England.

As a certain English king once remarked: "The trouble with Scotland is that it's full of Scots."

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: Scottish wars of Independence

Blackleaf said:
Now the Scots rule England.

Retribution for giving the Scots a hard time for centuries? Sounds fair.

Blackleaf said:
As a certain English king once remarked: "The trouble with Scotland is that it's full of Scots."

Edward "Longhsanks" ?

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
lol, did you think Haggis was a man? Wow not a good rumor to spread, not with her love of the torture room.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I think Britain deserves it.
Scotland is a part of Britain, you idiot.

And so what if England gave Scotland a hard time? It doesn't bother me. The Scots gave the English plenty of hard times, too.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Here is information about King Edward I (Edward Longshanks/Hammer of the Scots) one of England's greatest monarchs and heroes but a scourge to the uncivilised, beastly inhabitants of Scotland and Wales, both of which he conquered -

Reign - Nov 20 1272 – July 7, 1307

Coronation - August 19, 1274

Queen - Eleanor of Castile (1241–1290)
Marguerite of France (1282–1317)

Royal House - Plantagenet

Father - Henry III (1207–1272)

Mother - Eleanor of Provence (c. 1223–1291)

Born - June 17, 1239 - Westminster

Died - July 7, 1307 - Burgh-by-Sands, Cumberland

Buried - Westminster

Edward I (June 17, 1239–July 7, 1307), popularly known as "Longshanks" because of his 6 foot 2 inch frame and the "Hammer of the Scots" (his tombstone, in Latin, read, Hic est Edwardvs Primus Scottorum Malleus, "Here lies Edward I, Hammer of the Scots"), achieved fame as the monarch who conquered Wales and who kept Scotland under English domination. He reigned from 1272 to 1307, ascending the throne of England on November 21, 1272 after the death of his father, King Henry III of England. His mother was Queen consort Eleanor of Provence.

Edward was born at the Palace of Westminster on June 17 or 18, 1239. He married twice; his first marriage, in October 1254, was to Eleanor of Castile which produced sixteen children, and her death in 1290 affected Edward deeply. He displayed his grief by erecting the Eleanor crosses, one at each place where her funeral cortege stopped for the night. His second marriage, in September 1299, to Marguerite of France (known as the "Pearl of France" by her English subjects), the daughter of King Philippe III of France (Phillip the Bold) and Maria of Brabant, produced three children.

Welsh Wars
One of Edward's early achievements was the conquest of Wales. Under the 1267 Treaty of Montgomery, Llewelyn ap Gruffydd had extended Welsh territories southwards into what had been the lands of the English Marcher lords, and gained the title of Prince of Wales although he still owed homage to the English monarch as overlord. Edward refused to recognise the Treaty which had been concluded by his father. In 1275, pirates in Edward's pay intercepted a ship carrying Eleanor de Montfort, Simon de Montfort's only daughter, from France (where her family had lived in exile) to Wales, where she expected to marry Llywelyn. The parties' families had arranged the marriage previously, when an alliance with Simon de Montfort still counted politically. However, Llywelyn wanted the marriage largely to antagonise his long-standing enemy, Edward. With the hijacking of the ship, Edward gained possession of Eleanor and imprisoned her at Windsor. After Llywelyn repeatedly refused to pay homage to Edward in 1274–75, Edward raised an army and launched his first campaign against the Welsh prince in 1276–77. After this campaign Llywelyn was forced to pay homage to Edward and was stripped of all but a rump of territory in Gwynedd. But Edward allowed Llywelyn to retain the title of Prince of Wales, and the marriage with Eleanor de Montfort went ahead.

However, Llywelyn's younger brother, Dafydd (who had briefly been an ally of the English) started another rebellion in 1282. Llywelyn died shortly afterwards in a skirmish. Subsequently, Edward destroyed the remnants of resistance, capturing, brutally torturing and executing Dafydd in the following year. To consolidate his conquest, he commenced the construction of a string of massive stone castles encircling the principality, of which Caernarfon Castle provides a notable surviving example. Wales became incorporated into England under the Statute of Rhuddlan in 1284 and in 1301 Edward created his eldest son Edward Prince of Wales, since which time the eldest son of each English monarch has borne the same title (which is why Charles is the Prince of Wales and not William).

Scottish Wars
Edward then turned his attentions to Scotland and on May 10, 1291 Scottish nobles recognised the authority of Edward I. He had planned to marry off his son to the child queen, Margaret of Scotland (Called 'The Maid of Norway') but when Margaret died the Scottish nobles agreed to have Edward select her successor from the various claimants to the throne, and he chose John Balliol over other candidates. Edward was anxious to impose his overlordship on Scotland and hoped that John Balliol would prove the most biddable candidate. Indeed, Edward summoned John Balliol to do homage to him in Westminster in 1293 and made it clear he expected John's military and financial support against France. But this was too much for Balliol, who concluded a pact with France and prepared an army to invade England.

Edward I depicted in Cassell's History of England (1902)Edward gathered his largest army yet and razed Berwick, massacring its inhabitants, proceeding to Dunbar and Edinburgh. The Stone of Destiny was removed from Scone Palace and taken to Westminster Abbey. Until 1996, it formed the seat on King Edward's Chair, on which all English monarchs since 1308 have been crowned, with the exception of Mary I. In 1996, the stone was returned to Scotland, to return only during royal coronations. Balliol renounced the crown and was imprisoned in the Tower of London for three years before withdrawing to his estates in France. All freeholders in Scotland were required to swear an oath of homage to Edward, and he ruled Scotland like a province through English Viceroys.

Opposition sprang up (see Wars of Scottish Independence), and Edward executed the focus of discontent, William Wallace, on August 23, 1305, having earlier defeated him at the Battle of Falkirk (1298). His plan to conquer Scotland never came to fruition during his lifetime, however, and he died in 1307 at Burgh-by-Sands, Cumberland on the Scottish border, while on his way to wage another campaign against the Scots under the leadership of Robert the Bruce. Against his wishes, Edward was buried in Westminster Abbey. His son, King Edward II of England, succeeded him.

-------------------

Trivia

*Edward I was known to be fond of falconry and horse riding. The names of his horses have survived: Lyard, his war horse; Ferrault his hunting animal; and his favourite, Bayard. Edward is said to have led the assault on Berwick personally, using Bayard to leap over the earthen defences of the city.

*Edward was largely responsible for the Tower of London in the form we see today, including notably the concentric defences, elaborate entranceways, and the Traitor's Gate.

*Edward initially intended to call himself Edward IV, recognising the three Saxon kings of England of that name. However, for reasons unknown he was called Edward I instead - establishing the custom of numbering English monarchs only from the Norman Conquest.

*Edward was born on a Friday and died on a Friday.

*Edward made extensive use of a large trebuchet called the War Wolf to siege Scottish castles.

*He was portrayed by Patrick McGoohan in Braveheart.

wikipedia.org

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Re: RE: Scottish wars of Independence

Blackleaf said:
I think Britain deserves it.
Scotland is a part of Britain, you idiot.

And so what if England gave Scotland a hard time? It doesn't bother me. The Scots gave the English plenty of hard times, too.

Are you talking about the illegal occupation of Scotland and Ireland?

:lol:

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: Scottish wars of Inde

nothing illegal about the occupation - not even the correct term, the union between scotland and england...this has been made historically clear...and Ireland....dont get me started

I personally find it insulting people bang on about the english being the agressors in the wars aginst the scots and irish...the french have some of our land but do we moan?.

besides, it would be like me commenting on how you took the hopi, Soux or navajo indians land....not I wouldnt comment on that because......frankly I know nothing of it, and I'd be greatful if you took the same line with my countrie's history concerning internal disputes.....cheers

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Are you talking about the illegal occupation of Scotland and Ireland?
Britain's occupation of Ireland wasn't illegal.

And England has never occupied Scotland. Scotland joined the Union voluntarily and it was a Scottish King - James VI of Scotland, James I of England and Ireland - that united the English and Scottish crowns, paving the way for the two countries to unite.

It was the Scots, not the English, who created the UK.

psychokandy

Jan 29, 2008
toronto
The war began in earnest with Edward I's sacking of Berwick in March 1296, followed by the Scottish defeat at the Battle of Dunbar and the abdication of John Balliol in July. The English invasion campaign had subdued most of the country by August and, after removing the Stone of Destiny from Scone Abbey and transporting it to Westminster Abbey, Edward convened a parliament at Berwick, where the Scottish nobles paid homage to him as King of England. Scotland had been all but conquered.

Reading this reminded me of the Stone of Destiny movie. It's a historical comedy starring Robert Carlyle (Trainspotting, baby!) It recounts the tale of some Scottish young 'uns retrieving the Stone of Scone from Westminster Abbey in London and bringing it to Scotland. I'm not sure how much of it is fiction.