WWII aviation photographs

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Nice shots. The record of a time that is fast disappearing from our collective memories.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I laughed my a$$ off at the story of Sgt Scratch. If he had lived, I imagine he would have had a few juicy stories about what he thought of some of his senior officers.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
low-level flying, strafing and bombing

Lower Than a Snake

That's what I like in light aircraft

Dropping into a column of Russian Tanks in Manatoba. When will Canada be allowed to buy A10s?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
My dad finished the war comnanding one of the huge Short S-25 Sunderlands shown, in an RAF squadron in the Indian Ocean.

Another flying boat shown, the biplane Stranraer, was also known as the "Flying Dinosaur".

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
My dad finished the war comnanding one of the huge Short S-25 Sunderlands shown, in an RAF squadron in the Indian Ocean.

Another flying boat shown, the biplane Stranraer, was also known as the "Flying Dinosaur".

like these:

Koggala - somewhere in 1941-1945 - Off-duty RAF personnel enjoy some sailing at Koggala, Ceylon, as Short Sunderland GR Mark III, ML865 'J', of No. 230 Squadron RAF lies at its moorings. No.230 Squadron of Royal Air Force (RAF) was a flying boat squadron that served in the Indian Ocean and the Mediterranean during the Second World War & in October 1938 a detachment was posted on Ceylon, and gradually expanded until by February 1940 the entire squadron was based there.

lots here:

Forums / RAF Library / The Short Sunderland - Axis and Allies Paintworks

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
like these:

Koggala - somewhere in 1941-1945 - Off-duty RAF personnel enjoy some sailing at Koggala, Ceylon, as Short Sunderland GR Mark III, ML865 'J', of No. 230 Squadron RAF lies at its moorings. No.230 Squadron of Royal Air Force (RAF) was a flying boat squadron that served in the Indian Ocean and the Mediterranean during the Second World War & in October 1938 a detachment was posted on Ceylon, and gradually expanded until by February 1940 the entire squadron was based there.

lots here:

Forums / RAF Library / The Short Sunderland - Axis and Allies Paintworks

That was the place ... 205 Squadron and 413 Squadron (PBY-5 Catalinas)

That is a lake that they used to take off, from at Koggala, with a little mountain at the far end. I saw an arial photo that my dad had of the whole lake and there was a big smudge of white Sunderland wreckage on top of that hill.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Great post, Loc......thank you for sharing. This image really got my attention when I read that somehow the crew managed to get their plane back to base. Unbelievable. Such bravery and determination.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Great post, Loc......thank you for sharing. This image really got my attention when I read that somehow the crew managed to get their plane back to base. Unbelievable. Such bravery and determination.

They were teenagers, for the most part.