Ancient Egyptian tool found in Derbyshire wardrobe

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
An Ancient Egyptian tool has been found in a wardrobe.

The 4,500-year-old wooden maul, or mallet, used by Egyptian craftsmen, had been stored in the wardrobe in Derbyshire to protect it from sunlight.

It was originally discovered during World War Two in a cave near Cairo by a relative of the owner.

BBC News
20 August 2016

Charles Hanson said the wooden maul (right) would have been used at the time of the pyramids being constructed

The 4,500-year-old wooden maul, or mallet, used by Egyptian craftsmen, had been stored in the wardrobe in Derbyshire to protect it from sunlight.

It was originally discovered during World War Two in a cave near Cairo by a relative of the owner.

Auctioneer Charles Hanson said "the tool would almost certainly have helped with the building of important ancient temples of the day".

The item, which goes to auction in October, has a pre-sale estimate of £2,000-£3,000.

Mr Hanson, manager of Hansons Auctioneers, said the maul had been used but was in "remarkable condition".

The mallet is expected to create worldwide interest when it is auctioned

The relative of the vendor, who wanted to remain anonymous, had been camped in a cave in the Mokattam Hills, near Cairo, and discovered the artefact while digging.

Mr Hanson said: "To hold something which is twice as old as Christianity and to close your eyes and think back to the Ancient Egyptian civilization, and the time of the Pharaohs, is quite remarkable."

The tool has been verified by the Natural History Museum, in London, and will be entered into auction on 7 October.

Ancient Egypt

5,000 years ago, a series of small settlements along the River Nile were unified into one kingdom, dominating the Mediterranean for much of the following 3,000 years.

At 4,500 years old, the mallet dates to about the same time as the Pyramids at Giza, pictured, built in the fourth dynasty from 2575 to 2465BC, although they are about 10 miles (17km) away.

In 30BC, the last Pharaohs Cleopatra and her son Caesarion died and Egypt became part of the Roman Empire.

Ancient Egyptian tool found in Derbyshire wardrobe - BBC News

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
cool find
yeah, the rain damage on the sphinxes and the star alignments say the great pyramids were built MUCH earlier then 5000 years ago
which is why as time went on their construction got crappier and crappier

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
We've got an Egyptian mummy in the Egyptology section of Bolton Museum. Or we did have until he was taken on a world tour. He's become bit of a global celebrity. I've known him virtually my whole life and have been in the museum hundreds of times to see him since I was a toddler.

And we've got Egyptian cat and ibis mummies.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
in the royal british museum you also have the metal parts for a working celtic cross which were found by Flinders Petre the egyptologist, I think, but not recognized...
Till Creighton Miller discovered the real use of the cross, and then they found one in the newly opened shaft in the great pyramid with a robot, under a star chart, on the wall, aligned to 10,500BC

its on the film that was made by the robot as it traversed the tunnel that had been sealed since the great pyramid was built

of course real history messes up some messiahs but thats the nature of the word

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I don't know if Petrie discovered a Celtic cross but he was one of the greatest Egyptologists. He discovered the Merneptah stele and mentored and trained other Egyptologists, including Howard Carter, the discoverer of Tut's tomb.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

BBC News
20 August 2016

Charles Hanson said the wooden maul (right) would have been used at the time of the pyramids being constructed

Auctioneer Charles Hanson said "the tool would almost certainly have helped with the building of important ancient temples of the day".

The item, which goes to auction in October, has a pre-sale estimate of £2,000-£3,000.

Mr Hanson, manager of Hansons Auctioneers, said the maul had been used but was in "remarkable condition".

The mallet is expected to create worldwide interest when it is auctioned

The relative of the vendor, who wanted to remain anonymous, had been camped in a cave in the Mokattam Hills, near Cairo, and discovered the artefact while digging.

Mr Hanson said: "To hold something which is twice as old as Christianity and to close your eyes and think back to the Ancient Egyptian civilization, and the time of the Pharaohs, is quite remarkable."

The tool has been verified by the Natural History Museum, in London, and will be entered into auction on 7 October.

Ancient Egypt

5,000 years ago, a series of small settlements along the River Nile were unified into one kingdom, dominating the Mediterranean for much of the following 3,000 years.

At 4,500 years old, the mallet dates to about the same time as the Pyramids at Giza, pictured, built in the fourth dynasty from 2575 to 2465BC, although they are about 10 miles (17km) away.

In 30BC, the last Pharaohs Cleopatra and her son Caesarion died and Egypt became part of the Roman Empire.

Ancient Egyptian tool found in Derbyshire wardrobe - BBC News

So someone stole this club 75 years ago and now this guy thinks he has the right to sell it? In more civilized parts of the world there is a law against that sort of thing.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
So someone stole this club 75 years ago and now this guy thinks he has the right to sell it? In more civilized parts of the world there is a law against that sort of thing.

He didn't steal it. He dug it up. That's sort of how archaeology works.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
yeh many countries are asking britian for their **** back
"Once More, Britain Refuses to Return the Elgin Marbles"
Once More, Britain Refuses to Return the Elgin Marbles

round here you take from a dig
you get jail

I don't know if Petrie discovered a Celtic cross but he was one of the greatest Egyptologists. He discovered the Merneptah stele and mentored and trained other Egyptologists, including Howard Carter, the discoverer of Tut's tomb.

Yeah, not to be condescending about it but, I do know.
I have the book "the golden thread of time" and I have made several variations of crosses
the details, rwecords, and pics, are in there
one merely has to look to find out for certain

Then there are the details regarding the math and the attendant linguistic remnants of the lingo phonetically hidden in the structure of the English language which I have figured out myself

If you tie this to Oxford's control of the English language for the last 1000 years, and the relationship to the handme down secrete societies that have their roots in those ancient times, and who are now running this ****show, the whole world's current situation is quite nicely explained truthfully.
then maybe you will start to get the picture.

the version of the whole planets history can easily shown to need a complete re right
however there are many vested interests that would not survive that, so for now , one has to discern it for one's self

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
yeh many countries are asking britian for their **** back
"Once More, Britain Refuses to Return the Elgin Marbles"

Maybe the Greeks should hand back all the foreign treasures they have in their museums.

round here you take from a dig
you get jail

So in Canada you can be jailed for partaking in archaeology?

Yeah, not to be condescending about it but, I do know.
I have the book "the golden thread of time" and I have made several variations of crosses
the details, rwecords, and pics, are in there
one merely has to look to find out for certain

Then there are the details regarding the math and the attendant linguistic remnants of the lingo phonetically hidden in the structure of the English language which I have figured out myself

If you tie this to Oxford's control of the English language for the last 1000 years, and the relationship to the handme down secrete societies that have their roots in those ancient times, and who are now running this ****show, the whole world's current situation is quite nicely explained truthfully.
then maybe you will start to get the picture.

the version of the whole planets history can easily shown to need a complete re right
however there are many vested interests that would not survive that, so for now , one has to discern it for one's self

I think you're confusing Flinders Petrie for George Petrie, the 19th century Irish antiquarian.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_of_Cong

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
intersting idea ( i'll check it out as it's own thing though)
but nope
The Working Celtic Cross
The Celtic Cross, Crichton EM Miller
Introduction Timekeeping Celtic Cross
Brendan the Navigator and the Working Celtic Cross : Viewzone

here is an old thread of mine, where I started to put it together
Underwater Harbors in America...7000 years old, history rewritten, atlantis everywhere?, page 1
i was told by many it was one of the best threads on that site and the likes ratio shows that
they have millions of threads there

please keep an open mind BL you may find some history that will astound you...
because it is your history