'Rare' Roman bronze wing unearthed in Gloucester

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
An "extremely rare" Roman bronze wing has been found during an archaeological dig in Gloucester.

The object, which is 5.5in long, was found during an excavation for a new housing development in Brunswick Road, in an area that would have been just behind the city's Roman wall.

Experts say it was probably part of a winged statuette to Victoria, the Roman goddess of victory.

'Rare' Roman bronze wing unearthed in Gloucester

6 June 2016
BBC News

The wing was found next to the site of the Roman city wall of Gloucester

An "extremely rare" Roman bronze wing has been found during an archaeological dig in Gloucester.

The object, which is 5.5in long, was found during an excavation for a new housing development in Brunswick Road, in an area that would have been just behind the city's Roman wall.

Experts say it was probably part of a winged statuette to Victoria, the Roman goddess of victory.

It will be put on display at Gloucester Museum once it has been studied.

Oxford's Dr Martin Henig has studied the Roman wing

Neil Holbrook, from Cotswold Archaeology, said: "This find once again demonstrates that Gloucester was a high ranking city in Roman Britain and that its public spaces must have been equipped with a number of bronze statues of gods and emperors."

He added that finds of Roman bronze sculpture in Britain are "extremely rare" and "very few depictions of Victoria or eagles" are known from the province.

"It would be nice to think a retired Roman soldier, spending his retirement years in Gloucester, had a nice statuette to Victory as thanks for making it through the Roman invasion of Britain in one piece."

Initially, archaeologists said they believed the wing came from a statue of an eagle, but Dr Martin Henig, an expert on Roman sculpture at Oxford University, studied the object and believes it is likely to have come from a statuette to victory.

Experts believe the wing may have come from a statuette of the Roman goddess of victory, similar to this one held at a museum in Lyon, France

'Rare' Roman bronze wing unearthed in Gloucester - BBC News

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
That's an older date than I googled, five or five and a half thou, first copper was alloyed with arsenic I'm told and other stuff the tin part gave them weapons grade? speculation of mine, nevermind the bronze age is variuosly reported by history to be five or six thousand years in duration, any search of the dating of bronze age will leave the seeker completelty fukked up.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
That's an older date than I googled, five or five and a half thou, first copper was alloyed with arsenic I'm told and other stuff the tin part gave them weapons grade? speculation of mine, nevermind the bronze age is variuosly reported by history to be five or six thousand years in duration, any search of the dating of bronze age will leave the seeker completelty fukked up.

You may have googled 5000 bc.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
6500-7000 years ago.

They've been mining the tin for bronze in Cornwall for 4-5000 years. The copper part is even older.

The Ancient Greeks called Britain the Cassiterides - "the Tin Isles."

Bronze consists mainly of copper with about 12% tin and a little bit of other metals.

The earliest known bronze artefacts were found in Iran and date from 7,000BC. Eventually, bronze would have reached eastern Europe and then spread westards across the continent.