Spitfire flight over Southampton marks 80th anniversary

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A flypast to mark the 80th anniversary of the Spitfire's first flight is taking place in Southampton later.

The first prototype, K5054, designed by R.J. Mitchell, took off from Eastleigh Aerodrome on 5 March 1936.

A Spitfire is due to pass Southampton Water and the site of the Supermarine factory in Woolston, where thousands of the World War Two fighters were made.

Southampton Airport managing director Dave Lees said the plane "continues to enthral people today".

Spitfire flight over Southampton marks 80th anniversary

BBC News
5 March 2016

A flypast will mark 80 years since the first prototype Spitfire took off

A flypast to mark the 80th anniversary of the Spitfire's first flight is taking place in Southampton later.

The first prototype, K5054, designed by R.J. Mitchell, took off from Eastleigh Aerodrome on 5 March 1936.

A Spitfire is due to pass Southampton Water and the site of the Supermarine factory in Woolston, where thousands of the World War Two fighters were made.

Southampton Airport managing director Dave Lees said the plane "continues to enthral people today".

Weather permitting, the plane will be visible over the Solent shortly after 12:30 GMT.

Weather permitting, the spitfire is due to take off from Southampton Airport at 12:30 GMT

The best vantage points will be along the River Itchen, Weston Shore, Hythe, Royal Victoria Country Park, Lee on Solent and Cowes, Isle of Wight.

The plane will also pass over Mitchell's grave at Stoneham, before overflying the site of the Woolston factory and onwards to Portsmouth Harbour before flying back on itself to Southampton Airport.

During World War Two, with the Spitfire proving critical, the Supermarine factory was targeted by the Luftwaffe to destroy production facilities.

Members of the local Air Cadet Squadron are due to perform a guard of honour for the Spitfire as it is wheeled out of the hangar at Southampton Airport, on the same site as the old Eastleigh Aerodrome.

A later flight of two spitfires over Mayflower Park in Southampton, organised by Solent Sky Museum, is due to take place at 16:00.

R.J. Mitchell designed the iconic aircraft

Spitfire flight over Southampton marks 80th anniversary - BBC News

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
We see them flying at air shows here, occasionally. I have a photo from a nearby (Hamilton) air show three years ago of a Lancaster, a Mosquito, two Hurricanes and a Spit flying in formation. There was a second Spit but he had an oil pressure issue upon engine run-up and he scrapped the flight. Pity, that.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
We see them flying at air shows here, occasionally. I have a photo from a nearby (Hamilton) air show three years ago of a Lancaster, a Mosquito, two Hurricanes and a Spit flying in formation. There was a second Spit but he had an oil pressure issue upon engine run-up and he scrapped the flight. Pity, that.

I not sure if I've ever seen a Spitfire in real life. There was an occasion in 1990 when I was at primary school when a WWII plane flew low over our playground. We just heard this thundering noise and all us kids and teachers stopped and looked up as this plane just came flying over the playground. It was really low. I can't remember now if it was a Spitfire or a Hurricane or a Lancaster. I don't think I realised at the time, but I do now, that it must have been to mark the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Britain.