Last remnant of 17th-century Palace of Whitehall gets a facelift

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It was once the largest royal residence in Europe, but the last remnant of the Palace of Whitehall is now undergoing a facelift - with the help of a lot of scaffolding.

These pictures show the extensive renovations taking place at the 17th-century Banqueting House, including cleaning and repairing an original Rubens ceiling painting installed inside the London landmark in 1636.

A large portrait of James I, who extended the Palace and commissioned architect Inigo Jones to build the grand dining hall, can be seen hanging from the roof, surrounded by scaffolding.

The conservation work on the last surviving tie to the lost Palace of Whitehall, which was destroyed by a fire 1698, has been ongoing for the past year-and-a-half, with repairs expected to be completed in 2020.

Banqueting House has been closed to the public for the past four months and conservationists are still hoping to add a lift to improve accessibility and repair an 18th-century weather vane.

A spokesman for Historic Royal Palaces said the major historic project receives no Government or Crown funding.

'We raise all our own income from a range of activities, including ticket sales, retail and catering, membership, sponsorship and donations in order to care for all of our palaces,' a spokesman said.

The total cost of the renovations is not yet known.

It was outside Banqueting House where King Charles I was beheaded on 30 January 1649.

You're not going to reach that with a stepladder! Last remnant of 17th-century Palace of Whitehall gets a facelift - with the help of a LOT of scaffolding

Extensive conservation work is taking place at the Palace of Whitehall's 17th-century Banqueting House

It is the last remnant of the Palace, which was once the largest in Europe and has its origins in 1514

Repair work expected to finish in 2020 and includes cleaning and repairing an original Rubens painting

James I commissioned Banqueting House in 1619 and it was completed in
1622 at a cost of £15,618

By Jenny Awford for MailOnline
2 March 2016
Daily Mail

It was once the largest royal residence in Europe, but the last remnant of the Palace of Whitehall is now undergoing a facelift - with the help of a lot of scaffolding.

These pictures show the extensive renovations taking place at the 17th-century Banqueting House, including cleaning and repairing an original Rubens ceiling painting installed inside the London landmark in 1636.

A large portrait of James I, who extended the Palace and commissioned architect Inigo Jones to build the grand dining hall, can be seen hanging from the roof, surrounded by scaffolding.

The conservation work on the last surviving tie to the lost Palace of Whitehall, which was destroyed by a fire 1698, has been ongoing for the past year-and-a-half, with repairs expected to be completed in 2020.

Extensive conservation work is taking place at the Palace of Whitehall's 17th-century Banqueting House. Pictured is a painting of James I hanging from the roof

Conservationist Sarah Pinchin, 41, inspects her team's work and shines a light on Rubens' ceiling painting 'Wise rule of James I'

Workmen are seen painting window frames during restoration work at the historic Banqueting House in London

The expensive repair work includes cleaning and repairing an original Rubens painting installed inside the London landmark in 1636

Banqueting House has been closed to the public for the past four months and conservationists are still hoping to add a lift to improve accessibility and repair an 18th-century weather vane.

A spokesman for Historic Royal Palaces said the major historic project receives no Government or Crown funding.

'We raise all our own income from a range of activities, including ticket sales, retail and catering, membership, sponsorship and donations in order to care for all of our palaces,' a spokesman said.

The total cost of the renovations is not yet known.

The Banqueting House is the only remaining part of the Palace of Whitehall, which was once the largest Palace in Europe

Rubens' paintings were installed in the ceiling in 1636. Pictured is a conservationist inspecting the repair work

The Wise rule of James I ceiling painting portrays the monarch in a splendid, biblical-inspired setting that suggests a comparison with King Solomon

Positioned over the throne canopy, the detailed canvas was intended to be viewed by the monarch's audience

Banqueting House has been closed to the public for the past four months and conservationists are still hoping to add a lift to improve accessibility and repair an 18th-century weather vane, pictured (top) before the renovations

A spokesman for Historic Royal Palaces said the major historic project receives no Government or Crown funding

'We raise all our own income from a range of activities, including ticket sales, retail and catering, membership, sponsorship and donations in order to care for all of our palaces,' a spokesman said

This artwork showing the interior of the Banqueting House at Whitehall, Westminster, in 1840 depicts the traditional Maunday Thursday, or Holy Thursday, observances

Banqueting House (left) is the only building in the palace complex which survived the 1698 fire. Pictured (right) is the Holbein Gate

Designed by Inigo Jones, construction started on Banqueting House, the only surviving part of the Palace of Whitehall, in 1619

The Palace of Whitehall has its origins in 1514 when Thomas Wolsey commissioned work to extend York Place - which was later renamed Whitehall.

It was the main residence of the English monarchs in London from 1530 until 1698 when all except Inigo Jones's 1622 Banqueting House was destroyed by fire.

Before the fire it had grown to be the largest palace in Europe, with more than 1,500 rooms, overtaking the Vatican and Versailles.

Queen Elizabeth built a temporary Banqueting House in 1581, but this burnt down in 1619 and James I commissioned a new one that same year.

It was completed in 1622 at a cost of £15,618 some 27 years before King Charles I of England was executed on a scaffold in front of it in January 1649.

A total cost of all the repair work is not yet known. Pictured is a conservationist shining a light on a ceiling painting

Visitors will be able to seen inside Banqueting House from April 1, but it will close again after the summer for more repairs

The Palace of Whitehall has its origins in 1514 when Thomas Wolsey commissioned work to extend York Place - which was later renamed Whitehall

Banqueting House was completed in 1622 at a cost of £15,618 some 27 years before King Charles I of England was executed on a scaffold in front of it in January 1649 (pictured)

Last edited: