business blunder of the past

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Anyone here remember when you had to turn a crank to get a hold of an operator to place a neighbor down the street?
If you just turned the crank, all fourteen phones on the party line rang. If you wanted the operator (who, invariably, was the town gossip and listened in on every call on her switchboard) you had to press the button to get an outside line and crank.... 90 R 14 (my old number) one long four short. We had Hooterville phones until 1973....

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Dial zero or a genny?
No dial... just lift the ear piece, if someone else is on the party line call out "Using?" and when they hang up, turn the crank "one long" to get a hold of the operator if the party you wanted to get a hold off was on a different line.
If they were on the same line as you and you knew their ring eg: one long and two short you could do it yourself with the crank...
The old biddies in them days used to listen on conversations......

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
What is this phone you are referring to? Anything like a cellphone?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
No dial... just lift the ear piece, if someone else is on the party line call out "Using?" and when they hang up, turn the crank "one long" to get a hold of the operator if the party you wanted to get a hold off was on a different line.
If they were on the same line as you and you knew their ring eg: one long and two short you could do it yourself with the crank...
The old biddies in them days used to listen on conversations......

Party lines I do remember well. Crank, no.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I'm talking northern Ontario rural areas in the forties....by the time I was about twelve they were gone and the rotary dial was in, but we had party lines into the '60s
I remember dragging wire home for fencing because it was fairly soft, really strong and lasted forever when Kinmount was switching to Bell in the early 70's.

Best laugh (and there were many) was a Toronto cousin who inspected our phone, complimented the wood construction - then asked where you put the dime in.

Bittersweet moment came in 1969 (when we bought the farm but didn't have a phone yet) A neighbour came over to get Dad for an important call. The call came.... My grandfather had died. A few minutes later, the phone rang again. It was the operator offering condolences.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm talking northern Ontario rural areas in the forties....by the time I was about twelve they were gone and the rotary dial was in, but we had party lines into the '60s

We had party lines up until the early 80s then everything went fibre.

Update...
Early 1990's
SaskTel was the first telecommunications company in Canada to complete its rural individual line service program, eliminating party lines throughout Saskatchewan.
Until the 90s? Wow!!! If we were first to end it, who was last?

As for fibre...
SaskTel was the first in the world to complete what was then the longest commercial fiber optic network.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I remember dragging wire home for fencing because it was fairly soft, really strong and lasted forever when Kinmount was switching to Bell in the early 70's.
Kinmount, where people fish and fuk and in the winter they can't fish. Gotta love Kinmount.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY!

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us" -- Western Union internal memo, 1876.

Fewer shortcomings than these f**king gadgets today that you see people nattering on all over the place!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
We had party lines up until the early 80s then everything went fibre.

Update...
Until the 90s? Wow!!! If we were first to end it, who was last?

As for fibre...

Yep and you knew if the call was for you by the number of rings on your phone. So if Joe Blow got a call at 3 A.M. everyone knew about it.