The house owned by eight monarchs, stretching back to Alfred the Great

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
An historic manor house previously owned by eight British monarchs over the course of a millennium has gone on the market for £2.1million.

Arreton Manor on the Isle of Wight dates back to at least 872AD and its earliest known royal owner was King Alfred the Great.

Charles I reviewed troops on the lawn in 1628 and visitors can still see a conifer tree planted by Queen Victoria in the front garden in the 19th century.

A home fit for a king! Historic country estate previously owned by EIGHT British monarchs including Alfred the Great and Henry VIII goes on the market for £2.1million

Arreton Manor on the Isle of Wight dates back to 872AD and earliest known royal owner was King Alfred the Great

Owned by Edward the Confessor until the Norman invasion, then William the Conqueror, then monks for 400 years

Then went back to the Crown and was owned by Henry VIII, followed by Mary I, Elizabeth I, James I and Charles I

Eight-bedroom Grade II listed mansion on 4.5 acres was largely rebuilt in the 16th century and refurbished in 2000

By James Dunn For Mailonline
30 October 2015
Daily Mail

An historic manor house previously owned by eight British monarchs over the course of a millennium has gone on the market for £2.1million.

Arreton Manor on the Isle of Wight dates back to at least 872AD and its earliest known royal owner was King Alfred the Great.

Charles I reviewed troops on the lawn in 1628 and visitors can still see a conifer tree planted by Queen Victoria in the front garden in the 19th century.

Regal: Arreton Manor on the Isle of Wight is a truly regal residence - its history dates back to at least 872AD and its earliest known royal owner was King Alfred the Great

Historic: Charles I reviewed troops on the lawn in 1628 and visitors can still see a conifer tree planted by Queen Victoria in the front garden in the 19th century. The house is now on the market for £2.1million

A-maze-ing: It sits in 4.5 acres of formal gardens and grounds and the current owner has recreated a knot garden in the Elizabethan style with a maze and box hedging

Grand: The eight-bedroom Grade II listed mansion in the village of Arreton, near Newport, comes complete with period featires such as wood-panelled walls and was largely rebuilt at the end of the 16th century but still retains parts of the older building

Arreton Manor is situated about 3 miles south east of Newport, Isle of Wight

King Alfred's will shows he bequeathed Arreton to his son Ethelward in about 885AD.

It was owned by Edward the Confessor, considered the last king of the House of Wessex, before the Norman Conquest and after 1086 it was owned by William the Conqueror, which is mentioned in the Domesday Book.

In 1131 the estate was given to monks who farmed there for almost 400 years until the dissolution of the monasteries when it was owned by the Crown again, starting with Henry VIII, followed by Mary I, Elizabeth I, James I and Charles I.

On September 1, 1628, Charles reviewed the Scots Regiment of Mercenaries stationed on the island, and on another occasion he knighted John Leigh, the Crown Tenant of the Manor.

Charles later sold the property to settle debts to the City of London.

The house was then in the Fairfax family for 230 years, but its connection with the monarchy continued into the 19th and 20th centuries.

Period: It is packed full of period features including stone mullioned windows, fine wood panelling and Tudor-arched doorways and fireplaces

Restored: The grand house, which has seven reception rooms, was extensively renovated in 2000 to preserve and improve the fabric of the building and the sympathetic restoration took three years

Estate: It also has two outbuildings - The Old Dairy, a one-bedroom self-contained building currently used as a studio, and The Nook, a one-bedroom annexe used to support the studio

Queen Victoria often visited the manor, accompanied on occasions by three of her children, Empress Frederick, Duke of Albany and Princess Beatrice, from her royal residence Osborne House at nearby East Cowes.

She planted a conifer tree Cupressus Sempervirens, which is still growing on the lower south lawn.

It is claimed Queen Mary, wife of George V and grandmother of Elizabeth II, also visited.

The eight-bedroom Grade II listed mansion in the village of Arreton, near Newport, was largely rebuilt at the end of the 16th century but still retains parts of the older building.

It is packed full of period features including stone mullioned windows, fine wood panelling and Tudor-arched doorways and fireplaces.

The grand house, which has seven reception rooms, was extensively renovated in 2000 to preserve and improve the fabric of the building and the sympathetic restoration took three years.

Majestic: On September 1, 1628, Charles reviewed the Scots Regiment of Mercenaries stationed on the island on the lawn but later sold the property to settle debts to the City of London. Queen Victoria often visited the manor from her royal residence Osborne House nearby

Stately: Queen Victoria often visited the manor, accompanied on occasions by three of her children, Empress Frederick, Duke of Albany and Princess Beatrice, from her royal residence Osborne House at nearby East Cowes and a conifer she planted in the garden is still there today

Landed: The huge home sits on 4.5 acres of land and is renowned on the Isle of Wight for its beauty and history

Lineage: King Alfred's will shows he bequeathed Arreton to his son Ethelward in about 885AD and it was passed down through the generations and owned by a total of eight royals

It sits in 4.5 acres of formal gardens and grounds and the current owner has recreated a knot garden in the Elizabethan style with a maze and box hedging.

It also has two outbuildings - The Old Dairy, a one-bedroom self-contained building currently used as a studio, and The Nook, a one-bedroom annexe used to support the studio.

Sam Biles, from Biles & Co estate agents who are selling the property, said: 'Arreton Manor is one of the most historic houses on the Isle of Wight - royal connections, wonderful Elizabethan architecture, original features, monastic history and a secret room - it has the lot.

'The house is packed with period features. It has wonderful Tudor fireplaces, panelling, original doors, stone steps and even old meat hooks in the attic; it's very much kept its sense of history.

Heritage: The house is packed with period features, with wonderful Tudor fireplaces, panelling, original doors, stone steps and even old meat hooks in the attic; it's very much kept its sense of history

Outside: The huge estate is packed with wonderful items from an age gone by, a reminder of just how long this house has stood on the very spot on which it still stands today

For sale: Sam Biles, from Biles & Co estate agents selling the property, said: 'Arreton Manor is one of the most historic houses on the Isle of Wight - royal connections, wonderful Elizabethan architecture, original features, monastic history and a secret room - it has the lot

'Its royal background is incredible, owned by at least eight monarchs - Alfred the Great, Edward the Confessor, William the Conqueror, Henry VIII, Mary I, Elizabeth I, James I and Charles I.

'Charles reviewed troops on the Arreton Down by the manor and Queen Victoria also visited.

'She stayed at Osborne House and would take trips round the local manor houses and call in on the local gentry. I suspect the owner would have asked her to plant the tree to commemorate her visit.

'The history of the house is well-known on the island and a lot of people ask about it. It's very special in terms of its architecture.

'The owners are only selling because they want to be closer to family on the mainland and would be a great family home or appeal to anyone who is deeply in love with historic buildings.'

Last edited:

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Looks like a nice cozy retreat. I'd put in bid.. and hire a staff of 8 for upkeep.. if i was a member of the ruling class that is.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's the kind of place I will live in when I win the Lotto.

It's bound to have some ghosts, as well, such as a Grey Lady (all such old grand houses have Grey Ladies) and a bloke carrying his head under his arm.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
It's the kind of place I will live in when I win the Lotto.

It's bound to have some ghosts, as well, such as a Grey Lady (all such old grand houses have Grey Ladies) and a bloke carrying his head under his arm.

Not if I win it first. Beautiful place.:smile:

Also has the ghost of Dan, the one ball man, with his pecker in his hand.
And he's off to the rodeo (do they have rodeos in the UK ?)

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Not if I win it first. Beautiful place.:smile:

It's on the market for £2.1 million, which is not a bad price really. It might be yours in a few years if you save up.

Also has the ghost of Dan, the one ball man, with his pecker in his hand.

Such a thing is enough to put the willies up a person.

And he's off to the rodeo (do they have rodeos in the UK ?)
No, but we have donkey rides for kids on Blackpool beach.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Several years ago I helped build one of those English style mansions for a Mr. McCullough in Missouri. It was huge like this one. Five kitchens. Pool house. Several fireplaces, etc.etc. My job was to do the interior and exterior doors, all of the cabinetry and the finish work. Charles told me he got most of his ideas off of the net. I'm thinking he may have seen this home because it looks almost identical.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Several years ago I helped build one of those English style mansions for a Mr. McCullough in Missouri. It was huge like this one. Five kitchens. Pool house. Several fireplaces, etc.etc. My job was to do the interior and exterior doors, all of the cabinetry and the finish work. Charles told me he got most of his ideas off of the net. I'm thinking he may have seen this home because it looks almost identical.

Arreton Manor is a typical example of a Jacobean style manor house. These types of houses look similar to each other and there are many examples around the country. Mr McCullough probably knew about the Jacobean style and wanted a house just like it.

Talking about ghosts: apparently Arreton Manor is widely known on the Isle of Wight in folklore for its paranormal activity, particularly the ghost of a young girl named Annabelle Leigh who was murdered at the manor by her own brother in 1560. The Most Haunted team have visited it.

One of the many owners of the manor was Count Slade de Pomeroy. He has recorded waking up to the sound of someone knocking on the door of his bedroom. He has also reported that when he woke up to the knocks and opened the door, there would be no on there. However, there was a time when he opened the door and he was pushed back by hands which he could not see. One of the house helps did say that she saw two monks entering the room and when one of them pushed the count back inside the room, both the monks disappeared.

There is also the story of two brothers feuding over who would inherit the manor. In order to settle the dispute, they fought a duel. One of the brothers was killed and three days after the other brother died because of the wounds he suffered in the duel. The title of the manor went to Barnaby Leigh. He was smothered by his son who wanted to inherit the manor. When he looked up after smothering his father, he noticed his Annabel, his younger sister watching. He panicked, grabbed his sister and threw her down from the highest window of the manor. It is said that there is a spot in the manor which is permanently cold. The ghost of the little girl Annabel is seen often, walking around the manor. Sometimes she can also be heard calling around for her mother.

The manor has been open to the public and lots of visitors have reported seeing apparitions. One time, there was a girl who told her mother that she had been trying to make friends with a girl in blue who just disappeared into the brick wall. Ghostly noises can also be heard coming from empty rooms.

Arreton Manor, Isle of Wight | HauntedRooms.co.uk

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Yeah the gray Block, the massive timber beams and the immense interior woodwork are the same.. We even built a movie theater in the basement with a huge bar next to it. Was a fulfilling project with good memories. Charles wife was the main designer of all the woodwork and it was a privilege to take her ideas and create beautiful things out of wood. Jo Carol died a few years later but I'll always remember working with her on her dream house. She was a drama teacher at the local high school.