Can you solve the code in the sword?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A medieval sword that carries a mysterious inscription has baffled historians for centuries.

Little is known about the double-edged weapon, least of all the meaning behind a cryptic 18-letter message running down the central groove which reads: NDXOXCHWDRGHDXORVI.

Now The British Library has appealed for the public’s help in cracking the conundrum.

So far it’s been suggested it may be a battle-ready phrase in medieval Welsh, the first letters from a poem or even complete gibberish fabricated by an illiterate craftsman.

The weapon was found at the bottom of the River Witham in Lincolnshire in 1825, but it’s believed the 13th century sword originally belonged to a medieval knight.

Can you solve the code in the sword? British Library appeals for help in cracking enigmatic 'NDXOXCHWDRGHDXORVI' inscription on mysterious medieval blade

A 13th century sword, found in 1825, has a cryptic 18-letter message on it

NDXOXCHWDRGHDXORVI is engraved down the weapon's central groove

It is on display at the British Library as part of the Magna Carta exhibition

By Sarah Griffiths and Sam Tonkin For Mailonline
7 August 2015
Daily Mail

A medieval sword that carries a mysterious inscription has baffled historians for centuries.

Little is known about the double-edged weapon, least of all the meaning behind a cryptic 18-letter message running down the central groove which reads: NDXOXCHWDRGHDXORVI.

Now The British Library has appealed for the public’s help in cracking the conundrum.

Little is known about double-edged weapon, least of all the meaning behind a cryptic 18-letter message running down the central groove which reads: NDXOXCHWDRGHDXORVI (pictured)

So far it’s been suggested it may be a battle-ready phrase in medieval Welsh, the first letters from a poem or even complete gibberish fabricated by an illiterate craftsman.

The weapon was found at the bottom of the River Witham in Lincolnshire in 1825, but it’s believed the 13th century sword originally belonged to a medieval knight.

'It's typical of the type of swords medieval knights and barons would have used at the time of King John and the Magna Carta, curator Julian Harrison told MailOnline.

It weighs almost 3lbs (1.2kg) and measures 38 inches (96cm) in length.

‘If struck with sufficient force, it could easily have sliced a man’s head in two,’ he writes in a British Library blog.

The sword (pictured) weighs almost 3lbs (1.2kg) and measures 38 inches (96cm) in length. ‘If struck with sufficient force, it could easily have sliced a man’s head in two,’ curator Julian Harrison said

The sword was found in the River Witham in Lincolnshire

The indecipherable inscription is inlaid with gold wire and experts have speculated the letters are a religious invocation since the language is unknown.

The sword was possibly crafted in Germany, meaning it could be written in a version of that tongue.

Harrison said the suggestions are coming in thick and fast and described some of them as 'weird and wonderful'.

'There's nothing that has hit the nail on the head so far.'

'The variety of languages that people are speculating its written in is interesting from Sicilian to Welsh'.

Janet Kennedy believes CHWDRGHD – in the middle of the inscription – is a misspelling of the German word for sword, making ORVI a name.

However, Joe commented on the blog: ‘It looks like medieval Welsh: “No covering shall be over me,” possibly meaning the sword and it's' owner will always be ready for battle’.

Harrison said this suggestion sounds plausible at first, but having studied the language, he could find no evidence to back up the suggestion.

The sword is on display as part of the library's exhibition Magna Carta: Law, Liberty, Legacy and is on loan from the British Museum. It’s displayed alongside a 14th-century manuscript (pictured) of the Grandes chroniques de France, open at a page showing the French invasion of Normandy in 1203

'For a moment you jump and think someone might have spotted something you have missed...but then, no,' he said.

Anne Robertson reckons the letters may be the first from each line of a poem – something that’s been seen on other medieval artefacts.

A number of people have picked out certain letters which had particular meanings in Latin at the time, such as ND standing for ‘nostrum dominus’ meaning our Lord, and ‘X’ for Christ.

Harrison thinks this is the most probable idea so far 'but then it gets more complicated'.

'It's been suggested in the past that it's a relgious inscription and the sword may have been dropped in the river on purpose [for religious reasons] which was not uncommon,' he explained.

There is some debate as to whether the letter looking like a ‘W’ is actually an ‘M’.

A Dutch scholar is working on drawing parallels between the mysterious sword found in Lincolnshire and those on display in museums in Berlin, for example, saying there are similar inscriptions.

However ‘Ring and Raven’ believes the inscription may be badly spelt or might not mean anything at all.

‘Saxon swords in particular often had inscriptions on them that didn't actually say anything because the people buying them (or making them) were illiterate.

‘People wanted swords with their names, or other cool inscriptions on them, and they could recognise the symbols but they couldn't actually read.

'So the blacksmiths just put any old letters on and called it a day,' they write, likening the practice to people accidentally getting meaningless Chinese symbol tattoos.

The sword is on display as part of the library's exhibition Magna Carta: Law, Liberty, Legacy and is on loan from the British Museum. Visitors can see the four surviving original copies of the Magna Carta (pictured) together for the first time since 1215

Harrison said: 'I'm not optimistic we'll ever find a definitive answer [as to what the inscription means] but it's a lovely game to play.'

The sword is on display as part of the library's exhibition Magna Carta: Law, Liberty, Legacy and is on loan from the British Museum.

It’s displayed alongside a 14th-century manuscript of the Grandes chroniques de France, open at a page showing the French invasion of Normandy in 1203.

The men-at-arms in that manuscript are wielding swords very similar to the one with the strange inscription, Harrison says.

The exhibition closes on September 1.

THE MAGNA CARTA EXHIBITION AT THE BRITISH LIBRARY

The British Library's exhibition Magna Carta: Law, Liberty, Legacy runs until the end of the month.

Visitors can see the four surviving original copies of the Magna Carta together for the first time since 1215.

Copies of the document - one of the first steps in the journey towards parliamentary democracy - have been brought together to mark the 800th anniversary since it was signed.

King John agreed the Magna Carta at Runnymede, near Windsor, in June 1215 – a moment hailed as one of the most significant in English history.

King John agreed the Magna Carta at Runnymede, near Windsor, in June 1215 – a moment hailed as one of the most significant in English history (illustrated)

Meaning 'The Great Charter', it brought an end to the unlimited power of the monarch and established the principle that everybody, including the king, was subject to the law and had the right to fair trial.

The manuscript has a large influence on the rule of law in Britain today, giving all citizens the right to justice and a fair trial.

It says: 'No free man shall be seized or imprisoned, or stripped of his rights or possessions, or outlawed or exiled, or deprived of his standing in any other way, nor will we proceed with force against him, or send others to do so, except by the lawful judgement of his equals or by the law of the land. To no-one will we sell, to no-one deny or delay right or justice.'

Also on display are two of King John's teeth and a thumb bone (shown). The molars were extracted as souvenirs from King John's tomb at Worcester Cathedral in 1979 by William Wood, a stationer's apprentice

Once sealed by the king, scribes made many copies in medieval Latin, although only four are known to have survived.

Also on display are two of King John's teeth and a thumb bone.

The molars were extracted as souvenirs from King John's tomb at Worcester Cathedral in 1979 by William Wood, a stationer's apprentice.

Harrison said: 'John's tomb at Worcester Cathedral was opened for a brief period in 1797, and certain of his body parts removed as souvenirs.

Last edited:

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Mystery solved. as an expert in the field of ancient swords and shyte, the inscription is clear. "buy your clothes, at eskimo joes". a simple advertisement from the famous outlet in the great state of Oklahoma.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I'd be looking for a New Testament verse or verses which has 18 words, and comparing the first letters to the letters on the sword (in Greek, of course). The Xs in the inscription are probably chis, the first letter in "Christ" in Greek.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I quite like the theory that it's gobbleydook, owned by an illiterate person who could recognise the symbols but not actually read them.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Definitely.

The H could have been written upside-down as well for all we know, but it's just hard to tell with that one.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
besides being the obvious password for the sword, here is a good analysis:

The River Witham Sword in its European Context

Inscribed swords were all the rage in Europe around the year 1200. Dozens of them have been found, from England to Poland, from Sweden to France. While researching a specific sword-blade found in Alphen aan den Rijn, the Netherlands, I found around a dozen other swords which had striking similarities. One of those swords was the River Witham sword, making it part of a large international family. Using the excellent research by Thomas Wagner and John Worley, an image of a hugely successful medieval workshop was created, making ‘magical’ swords for the elite. The swords themselves are of a high quality, but what most catches the eye are the inscriptions. Both their mysterious contents and the similarities in the lettering are striking. A sword from Sweden might use the same slightly curved X as the River Witham sword. A sword currently in Berlin has an I-S contraction also used on a sword found in the Netherlands. These similarities go so far as to suggest the same hand in making the inscriptions. However, their contents are still a mystery, regardless of their origins.

There is some debate on the language used in the inscriptions. But looking at the other European finds, it seems most likely that this language is Latin. This makes sense in the context of 13th-century Europe, as Latin was the international language of choice (like English is today). To elaborate, let's compare the River Witham sword to the sword from Alphen: both start with some sort of invocation. On the River Witham sword, it is NDXOX, possibly standing for Nostrum Dominus (our Lord) or Nomine Domini (name of the Lord) followed by XOX. On the sword from Alphen, the starting letters read BENEDOXO. Quite likely, this reads as Benedicat (A blessing), followed by OXO. Perhaps these letter combinations – XOX and OXO – refer to the Holy Trinity. On the sword from Alphen, one letter combination is then repeated three times: MTINIUSCS, which I interpret as Martinius Sanctus – Saint Martin. Perhaps a saint is being invoked on the River Witham sword as well?

By putting together pieces of the puzzle from all over Europe, we might come a little bit closer to solving the mystery. And even if we cannot decipher the inscriptions completely, they might bring us a little closer to understanding our ancestors.

Further reading:

http://www.gustavianum.uu.se/digita...n-invocation-inscriptions-on-sword-blades.pdf
http://www.gustavianum.uu.se/digita...ng-medieval-swords-and-their-inscriptions.pdf

Inscription on the Sword from Alphen:

+BENEDOXOFTISSCSDRRISCDICECMTINIUSCSDNI+
+DIOXMTINIUSESDIOMTINIUSCSDICCCMTDICIIZISI+

- See more at: Help Us Decipher This Inscription - Medieval manuscripts blog

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
It's a serial number so warranty can be honored only at place of manufacturer, any other blacksmith you pay for any repairs. Blacky would hace the code breaker that shows the steel quality and such. Either that or 'the Germans are coming' Enigma 1.0

the lady of lake Ontario has yet to give me Excalibur. :(
Guess what the water gave 5,000 people?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's definitely not medieval Welsh. There's no letter "X" in the Welsh alphabet.

The Welsh alphabet - or yr wyddor Gymraeg, as the Welsh say - is weird.

CH, DD, FF, NG, LL, PH, RH and TH are actually letters.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
This is from the Wycliff Bible.
Genesis3:15 I shall set enmities betwixt thee and the woman,
and betwixt thy seed and her seed;
she shall break thine head,
and thou shalt set ambushes to her heel.
(I shall put enmity between thee and the woman,
and between thy seed and her seed;
her seed shall break thy head,
and thou shalt set ambush to her seed's heel.)

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
the lady of lake Ontario has yet to give me Excalibur. :(
"Strange women lying on their backs in ponds handing out swords ... that's no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!
I mean, if I went around saying I was an Emperor because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, people would put me away!"

Man I love Monty Python.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
"Strange women lying on their backs in ponds handing out swords ... that's no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!
I mean, if I went around saying I was an Emperor because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, people would put me away!"

Man I love Monty Python.

You'd never get away with jokes like that nowadays in this bizarre PC age. If Monty Python said that joke today someone somewhere would be "offended" by it, the Twitterati would be incandescent with rage and Palin, Cleese and Co would be forced to make a grovelling apology in front of the world's TV cameras.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
You'd never get away with jokes like that nowadays in this bizarre PC age.
That'd be nothing new for the Pythons. The Moral Majority Christians in the US had a major problem with them in the 70s. Especially when Life of Brian came out and was going to play in US theatres.

It was funny listening to them whine about a movie they never saw and knew nothing about.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Is there a rule that says we can't grow thicker skin if the least jab is a mortal wound in it's own right?