Historic Elizabethan manor still bears the scars of Roundhead axes

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
This is the kind of place I will one day live in.

A manor with six huge axe marks cut into its oak front door by the axes of Oliver Cromwell's army in the English Civil War has gone on the market for £4.75million.

Cromwell's Roundheads attempted to gain entry to West Hall as they swept through the Dorset countryside looking for the deposed monarch Charles I and his supporters at the outbreak of war in the mid 1600s.

West Hall, a Catholic stronghold allied to the king, was heavily defended and, try as they might, the attackers could not gain access to the manor house.

The only reminder of the attack now is the six deep scars left in its original heavy oak front door by their axes.

Jaqi Fielding, 76, has spent the past 30 years at West Hall with her husband Richard, 82 - and the pair are now selling up to move to a smaller house a mile down the road.

The Grade I-listed eight-bedroom manor, in the quaint village of Longburton near Sherborne, dates back to the 15th century.

Historic Elizabethan manor still bears the scars of Roundhead axes as Cromwell's men tried to smash their way in to check Charles I wasn't hiding there

West Hall's front door still bears six huge scars from the days of the English Civil War in the mid-1600s

Cromwell's Parliamentarians heard Charles I was hiding out in Dorset they searched county estates

It is thought they were looking for a local priest the day they paid a visit to the manor but left empty-handed

Jaqi Fielding, 76, has spent the past 30 years at West Hall with her husband Richard and the pair are now selling up

By MailOnline Reporter
5 June 2015
Daily Mail

A manor with six huge axe marks cut into its oak front door by the axes of Oliver Cromwell's army in the English Civil War has gone on the market for £4.75million.

Cromwell's Roundheads attempted to gain entry to West Hall as they swept through the Dorset countryside looking for the deposed monarch Charles I and his supporters at the outbreak of war in the mid 1600s.

West Hall, a Catholic stronghold allied to the king, was heavily defended and, try as they might, the attackers could not gain access to the manor house.

Jaqi Fielding, who has lived at West Hall for 30 years, said: 'They obviously tried to get into West Hall but couldn't, so they took their axes to the front door.'The axe marks are quite huge, and there are six of them. The door is the original and the axe marks are still there to be seen'

The only reminder of the attack now is the six deep scars left in its original heavy oak front door by their axes.

Jaqi Fielding, 76, has spent the past 30 years at West Hall with her husband Richard, 82 - and the pair are now selling up to move to a smaller house a mile down the road.

Mrs Fielding said: 'During the Civil War, West Hall was obviously a Catholic house sympathetic to the king, as many were in the West Country.

'The windows are barred and the doors have these giant five-inch square planks which slot into the wall. It's clear that the house was set up to prevent unwanted entry.

'The Roundheads were looking for the king, who was rumoured to be holed up in the area.

The Grade I-listed eight-bedroom manor, in the quaint village of Longburton near Sherborne, Dorset, dates back to the 15th century

When Cromwell's Parliamentarians caught wind that Charles was hiding out in Dorset they swept through the largely Royalist county searching estates, houses and churches.It is thought they were looking for a local priest the day they paid a visit to West Hall but left empty-handed

The house then passed to the Moleyns family late in the 16th century who added the south east wing and the dining room block

'They obviously tried to get into West Hall but couldn't, so they took their axes to the front door.

'The axe marks are quite huge, and there are six of them. The door is the original and the axe marks are still there to be seen.

'We can only assume the Roundheads didn't get in. It's unlikely King Charles was at West Hall but they were probably trying to find a Catholic priest who was inside.

'There is an unexplained space on the first floor of the house which could well have been a priest hole. Priests were always being hounded so all Catholic houses had these priest holes.

'Over the years and centuries the house was built on and expanded. During the wars part of West Hall was requisitioned by the medical corps of the army.'

The Grade I-listed eight-bedroom manor, in the quaint village of Longburton near Sherborne, dates back to the 15th century.

It became embroiled in conflict in 1642 during the uprising against unpopular monarch Charles I that led to war between the Roundheads and the Cavaliers.

When Cromwell's Parliamentarians caught wind that Charles was hiding out in Dorset they swept through the largely Royalist county searching estates, houses and churches.

It is thought they were looking for a local priest the day they paid a visit to West Hall but left empty-handed.

The Civil War ended in 1651 with victory for the Parliamentarians, but just nine years later the monarchy was restored to the throne.

A 1662 royal coat of arms hanging in St James' Church in Longburton was inscribed with the lines 'Feare thou the Lord and the King and medelle not with them that are given to change' and 'Curse not the King, noe, not in thy thoughts' - a clear message from new king Charles II.

After surviving the Civil War, West Hall was built on and improved. The north-east wing, the original part of the manor, is thought to have been built by the Hymerford family.

The house then passed to the Moleyns family late in the 16th century who added the south east wing and the dining room block.

Some alterations were later made in 1681, thought to be by Thomas Chafe, an English lawyer and politician who had sat in the House of Commons in 1660.

The drawing room was added next to the staircase wing early in the 18th century. Part of West Hall was requisitioned during both World Wars by the Royal Army Medical Corps.

As well as the manor house, the estate boasts three extra cottages and two flats, a swimming pool, a tennis court and a kitchen garden, all set in 22 acres of land.

West Hall is now on the market through joint agents Knight Frank and Humberts for £4.75 million.

Some alterations were later made in 1681, thought to be by Thomas Chafe, an English lawyer and politician who had sat in the House of Commons in 1660

As well as the manor house, the estate boasts three extra cottages and two flats, a swimming pool, a tennis court and a kitchen garden, all set in 22 acres of land

Mrs Fielding added: 'I have lived here with my husband Richard since 1983 but we're selling it now because we are downsizing.

'We have another house about a mile down the road which will be a bit easier to look after.'

Nick Evans, from estate agents Humberts, added: 'West Hall is a beautiful house without question. It's a very fine property that oozes historic atmosphere.

'West Hall will be very sought after to those looking to tuck themselves away in one of the best parts of Dorset but without being too isolated.'

CROMWELL'S HUNT FOR CHARLES I LASTED FOR FIVE YEARS DURING THE ENGLISH CIVIL WAR

The Battle of Edgehill, Warwickshire, in October 1642 favoured the Royalists, but the outcome was far from resolved.

The war continued indecisively over the next few years.

Charles' defeat at the Battle of Naseby, near Leicester, in 1645 by Oliver Cromwell’s New Model Army ended all hopes of Royalist victory.

Charles' defeat at the Battle of Naseby, near Leicester, in 1645 by Oliver Cromwell’s New Model Army ended all hopes of Royalist victory. This picture of the battle was painted by Dupuis

A year later, Charles escaped the Siege of Oxford and surrendered at Newark, Nottinghamshire, to the Scots, who handed him over to Parliament in January 1647.

Later that year, Cromwell’s army got hold of him and carried him off to Hampton Court Palace, near London.

While the army leaders continued their struggle to find a settlement, Charles secretly made plans for a Scottish invasion. He escaped, but was recaptured and held at Carisbrooke Castle on the Isle of Wight.

A Scottish invasion did eventually take place in 1648, but was shattered by Cromwell at Preston, Lancashire.

A close up of a painting called 'Charles I Insulted by Cromwell's Soldiers' painted by Delaroche in 1837 which went on public display in February 2010 at the National Gallery

A few months later, in 1649, the House of Commons set up a High Court of Justice, which tried Charles and condemned him to death.

He was beheaded on January, 30 1649 in front of the Banqueting House in Whitehall, London.

This followed a period known as the English Commonwealth ruled by Cromwell through parliament.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3112300/Historic-Elizabethan-manor-bears-scars-Roundhead-axes-Cromwell-s-men-tried-smash-way-check-Charles-wasn-t-hiding-there.html

Last edited:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
wow, beautiful home...when you move in, the party for CC is on you....make sure the wine is chilled and servants ready to serve we'll be staying for a fortnight.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
You'll have to wait till I win the lottery. Then I'll buy it, or some other large stately hall in the country, complete with manservants and maids, and live the life of an English country gentleman. I'll get a greyhound and go taking it for walks in my acres of land, stopping every so often for a cup of Earl Grey and a Ploughman's Lunch. I'll host late night dinner parties in winter for many of my neighbours in the nearest village with a huge roaring fire blazing away and the finest English wine served in crystal goblets by pretty young maids and a Jeeves. That's after we've gone clay pigeon shooting in our tweed, flat caps and wellies and show them the axe marks on my door left by Cromwell's Parliamentarians in the Civil War.

It certainly beats living amongst the hoi polloi in Langford Gardens.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Nice effort to axe the door on the opposite side from the actual handle.:roll:

Still, lovely place and best of luck in the lottery, Blackie.

You won't need a riding lawnmower. I can get a line on some really good goats.;-)

Also, smashing effort growing stumps in that big green greeny.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
....and get yourself a ride-on mower. That lawn would be a full-time job.

I'll either pay a servant to cut it or just get a small flock of sheep.

Nice effort to axe the door on the opposite side from the actual handle.:roll:

Is the door thinner on the handle side?

Still, lovely place and best of luck in the lottery, Blackie.

I need more than luck. I have, statistically, more chance of getting killed by flesh eating bacteria than I have of winning the jackpot.

You won't need a riding lawnmower. I can get a line on some really good goats.;-)

Also, smashing effort growing stumps in that big green greeny.

Sheep are better. They're not hard to get in Britain. You only have to go to the countryside and they're everywhere. Plus, every so often, I can just slaughter one and serve it up with roast potatoes, cauliflower, Yorkshire pudding, gravy and mint sauce when I hold my dinner parties in that big posh dining room in that picture above.