Dear Doctor... 18th century-style

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Treating gout by drinking ‘plain water with a little good sherry in it’ may not seem like good medical practice in this day and age.

But this is just one of the tips given by a physician to patients in the 18th century - among other remedies for common ailments, such as a trip to Europe to cure ‘corpulence’ or being overweight.

The medical advice was revealed in a series of letters, and it seems some things never change - with one patient apologising for missing their appointment because they were too drunk.

Dear Doctor... 18th century-style:
Hilarious letters sent to eminent physician reveal bizarre remedies for ailments including a cucumber overdose and ‘corpulence’

Glasgow University has digitised 300-year-old health notes

Correspondence is between Dr William Cullen of Edinburgh and patients

Ailments include a suspected venereal disease and being overweight

His solutions include travelling to southern Europe and drinking sherry

By Jonathan O'Callaghan for MailOnline
11 May 2015
Daily Mail

Treating gout by drinking ‘plain water with a little good sherry in it’ may not seem like good medical practice in this day and age.

But this is just one of the tips given by a physician to patients in the 18th century - among other remedies for common ailments, such as a trip to Europe to cure ‘corpulence’ or being overweight.

The medical advice was revealed in a series of letters, and it seems some things never change - with one patient apologising for missing their appointment because they were too drunk.

Glasgow University has digitised a series of bizarre 300-year-old health notes written by Dr William Cullen. Shown is his correspondence with Mr Edward Brown from Perth, who complained of a venereal disease that sounded very much like chlamydia in 1784, to which Dr Cullen recommended 'shavings of guaiacum'

The letters from desperate patients were written to Dr William Cullen, a physician, chemist and agriculturalist who was one of the most important professors at the Edinburgh Medical School.

They are dated from the 1750s to his death, at the age of 80, in 1790.

So renowned was he that people would write to him from far and wide to seek advice for various ailments - some bordering on the bizarre.

He generally charged two guineas a time, about £250 ($390) in today's money, with fees waived for poorer patients and Presbyterian ministers

Dr Cullen was not the only 18th century physician to undertake ‘consultations' by post.

But experts say the record he left is unique in terms of scale and the extent to which it provides both sides of the conversation.

And he meticulously filed all his letters and responses, totaling more than 5,000 items in total, which has now been uploaded online by Glasgow University.

The collection is one of the greatest treasures of the Sibbald Library of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh - which until now was the only place to see the letters.

Dr William Cullen, shown, who died in 1790 aged nearly 80, was a physician, chemist and agriculturalist.He was one of the most important professors at the Edinburgh Medical School, during its heyday the leading centre for medical education in the English-speaking world

This image shows the letter from Ms Jane Webster of York in 1780, in which she complained about her weight and asked for a solution. Dr Cullen suggested exercise, a good diet and plenty of walking to cure her of her ailment, and also plenty of fresh air

WHO WAS DR WILLIAM CULLEN?

Dr William Cullen, who died in 1790 aged nearly 80, was a physician, chemist and agriculturalist.

He was one of the most important professors at the Edinburgh Medical School, during its heyday the leading centre for medical education in the English-speaking world.

A central figure in the Scottish Enlightenment, Cullen was physician to the philosopher David Hume, a personal friend of Adam Smith, for some time President of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh, and King's Physician in Scotland.

As the most influential medical lecturer of his generation, he drew thousands of students to the Medical School, and people wrote to him from across the globe for advice and treatments.

The archive covers most social classes and a range of geographical locations.

Examples include a letter from James Boswell asking for advice about the care of his friend, the dying Dr Johnson; enquiries about a Russian Princess with gout; and for the relief of a patient who became ill after consuming a surfeit of cucumbers.

From Charleston, South Carolina, there is a letter from a Scottish plantation owner asking how to cure a slave's epilepsy. Another letter is from a sick Edinburgh weaver.

Recommended treatments included cold bathing, purging, vomiting, blood-letting, flesh brushing and the application of leeches - all for conditions ranging from fevers and colics to ‘horrors’, scabs, teethings and deleriums.

Practical advice often reflects a preoccupation of Cullen's about the impact of environmental factors on a person’s health, such as dryness and dampness, heat and cold.

As such, he often recommends travelling to warmer climates - namely southern Europe.

Dr Cullen would often recommend travelling to warmer climates such as Southern Europe (Barcelona beach shown) to rid his patients of ailments that he said came from cold weather

Gilbert Steuart from Wolverhampton wrote to Dr Cullen on 24 January 1790 about an unnamed 25-year-old woman who had eaten too many cucumbers, which was apparently causing her some discomfort - but the doctor did not provide a remedy

Shown is the letter from Patrick McIntyre of Stranraer in 1778, who complained of anxiety and gout. He said he had resorted to alcohol to quell the pain, but Dr Cullen told him to lay off the bottle a bit, save for some 'plain water with a little good sherry in it'

The letters also reveal he is deeply concerned with the importance of ‘Habit and Custom’, in which he included diet, exercise and the exposure to social pressures - what might now be loosely termed ‘lifestyle’.

A large proportion of Cullen's replies include medical recipes - prescriptions - in the form of abbreviated instructions drawn up for an apothecary.

‘What makes the resource so valuable is not simply the size of it, but being able to hear the diverse voices from the broad range of people Cullen corresponded with,’ said Dr David Shuttleton, Reader in Literature and Medical Culture at Glasgow University, who led the collation.

‘Until now, the sheer physical scale of the archive prevented these important historical artefacts from being studied properly, but we believe that this new resource will offer considerable new insights, not only into the history of eighteenth century medical practice, but also into wider society at that time.’

Professor Derek Bell, President of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh, added: ‘We are proud to be the custodians of past president William Cullen's fascinating correspondence which we have carefully preserved and catalogued.

‘We hope it will reach a new and much wider audience nationally and internationally.’

THE BEST BITS FROM DR CULLEN'S CORRESPONDENCE WITH PATIENTS

Writing about an unnamed 25-year-old woman who had eaten too many cucumbers, Gilbert Steuart from Wolverhampton said on 24 Janaury 1790:

‘On the dawn of puberty, she had the misfortune to surfeit herself with cucumbers, which affected her stomach with anomalous symptons but of length - a flushing with pimples broke out upon her body.

He said advice suggested by another doctor - ingesting ‘sea bathing and seasons’ - had no ‘lasting effect’ other than causing her to salivate a lot.

Dr Cullen did not provide a response to this letter.

Ms Jane Webster from York wrote in 1780 about her weight:

‘The question I wish you to determine upon is my plan to reduce my corpulency, till I am in a moderate state; that is till I may weigh about 12 stones instead of 15 and whether such a plan will be safe and of service to my health and to the prevention of further coughs and stuffing in my breast.’

To which Dr Cullen replied: ‘For in a woman of middle size, anything above 12 stone is too much.

‘Judiciously continue the walking and even through the winter you must take a great deal of bodily exercise, avoiding however being over heated.

‘Cold bathing is also proper and should be continued through the winter. Animal food only once a day and then very moderately. Cheat appetite by eating light things - especially vegetables.

‘You should go on with exercise and diet till you are reduced to the weight mentioned. When this is done the same vigour will, not be necessary provided you guard against relapsing into your former corpulence. ‘

Mr Edward Brown from Perth complained of a venereal disease that sounds very much like chlamydia in 1784:

‘About a year ago being in this part of the country and getting the worse of Liquor with some friends I unfortunately played the fool and contracted something of a venereal disorder.

‘Had I been told of the consequences or even been capable of reflection - this would not have happened.’

He added that the pains had become more troublesome of late and, despite trying various remedies, he had found no way to ease the pain.

And as he planned to be in England in ‘four to five weeks’, he wanted to be rid of the ailment ‘for risk of communicating any of these pains by infections,’ presumably with more late-night escapades in mind.

In a second letter he described ‘heat in the urine, and a pain in the loins, which also affected the testicles a little,’ all symptoms of chlamydia.

But Dr Cullen said he was ‘fully confident’ that Mr Brown did not have a venereal infection, and he was ‘positive that there is no danger of you giving infection in any communication you may think proper to have with the opposite sex.’

He then suggested some bizarre ingredients to rid the man of his ailment.

These included taking shavings of guaiacum, root of sarsaparilla and other ingredients, boiling them together, and then taking a swig four times a day.

‘I can answer for this washing out even the smallest venereal taint that could be in your blood and if any pains should remain after it you may depend upon their being from another cause and to be treated by other remedies.’

It is not clear if Dr Cullen’s remedy was successful.

Correspondence with Patrick McIntyre of Stranraer in 1778 regarding some rather odd remedies to cure anxiety and gout:

Mr McIntyre asked for measures to relieve his anxiety and also his expected gout – swelling of certain areas on the body.

He said that it gave him ‘excruciating pains over my whole body,’ which led to him ‘taking his bottle [presumably of alcohol] rather too freely.’

Dr Cullen’s response was to ‘avoid all malt liquor particularly small beer, let your ordinary drink be either plain water or plain water with a little good sherry in it.’

He added: ‘With respect to strong drink I would not bid you abstain from it altogether, but it is absolutely necessary for you to be very moderate.

‘A full bottle may seem to give you temporary relief, but every degree of excess will certainly make your ailments recur with more violence.’

A humorous letter from Patrick Campbell in 1778 apologised for missing an appointment with Dr Cullen:

‘Sir, I had no sooner gone from your House than I was attacked by certain honest fellows who dragged me to the Tavern where I remained till four o’clock in the morning.

‘Hence, it was impossible for me to observe the appointment of waiting on you at half past twelve of this day.

‘To say the Truth, twelve struck before I was out of bed. And even had that not been the case, there was an absolute necessity of riding out into the country and recruiting my animal spirits. I therefore beg your pardon.’

Read more:
The Cullen Project | The Consultation Letters of Dr William Cullen (1710-1790) at the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh (RCPE). A Glasgow University Digital Edition.