Castle tower used to woo Elizabeth I is reopened after 350 years

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A castle tower built to try and woo Queen Elizabeth I has been reopened for people to visit after lying in ruins for more than 350 years.

Private chambers were created in Leicester's Building for her visits to Kenilworth Castle in Warwickshire.

It was built by the Earl of Leicester, Robert Dudley, to try and win her hand in marriage, historians said.

However, the castle was left in ruins after the English Civil War ended in 1651.

English Heritage has installed new staircases and viewing platforms.

Leicester's Building at Kenilworth Castle reopened after more than 350 years

4 September 2014
BBC News

Queen Elizabeth I stayed in Leicester's Building at Kenilworth Castle in Warwickshire four times

A castle tower built to try and woo Queen Elizabeth I has been reopened for people to visit after lying in ruins for more than 350 years.

Private chambers were created in Leicester's Building for her visits to Kenilworth Castle in Warwickshire.

It was built by the Earl of Leicester, Robert Dudley, to try and win her hand in marriage, historians said.

English Heritage has installed new staircases and viewing platforms.

Leicester's Building was left in ruins at the end of the English Civil War in 1651

The new staircases take visitors up 60ft to the Queen's chambers

Head curator Jeremy Ashbee said: "Leicester's Building was one of the most spectacular works of architecture in Elizabethan England, a soaring tower expressly built to win the queen's hand in marriage.

"Visitors can now get right up to the top of this building and get a real sense of the luxury and views she enjoyed."

The new staircases take visitors up 60ft to the queen's former bedroom and views over the castle grounds and woodland.

The Earl of Leicester, Robert Dudley, also built a special garden for the Queen

English Heritage has also installed displays that explain the history of the building

Elizabeth I granted Kenilworth Castle to Robert Dudley in 1563 and the following year he was created Earl of Leicester.

Dudley, who shared the Queen's passion for riding and dancing, spent a fortune transforming the castle and building a garden for her.

Despite her making four visits to the tower, the last coming in 1575 and lasting for 19 days, Dudley failed to win her hand in marriage.

After the English Civil War ended in 1651, Leicester's Building was left in ruins.

BBC News - Leicester's Building at Kenilworth Castle reopened after more than 350 years

Last edited: