The troubled lives of our Hanoverian monarchs

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
2014 marks 300 years since the House of Hanover took to the Throne of the new nation of Great Britain.

The 1701 Act of Settlement decreed that Roman Catholics cannot ascend the British throne, and so took all Catholics out of the Line of Succession.

The Act was prompted by the failure of William III and Mary II (the only time that two monarchs have reigned England or Britain at the same time), and Mary II's sister Anne, to produce any surviving children and, therefore, heirs to the Throne.

After the Act of Settlement took out all the Catholics from the Line of Succession, the next in line to the Throne after Anne was Sophia, Electress of Hanover.

But she would never become Queen of Great Britain, as she died in June 1714, two months before Anne died.

So, after Anne's death, Sophia's son, Georg Ludwig, Elector of Hanover, came to Britain to be crowned King George I despite not being able to speak any English.

The result was that the tiny Kingdom of Hanover, now part of Germany, was joined in a personal union with Great Britain in 1714. However, in 1803 Hanover fell to French and Prussian armies during the Napoleonic Wars whereupon it joined Prussian territories as the Kingdom of Westphalia, ruled by Napoleon's younger brother.

However, in 1814 the Congress of Vienna gave Britain's King George III his ancestral homeland of Hanover back and he became its king again, and Great Britain and Hanover would once again be joined in a personal union until 1837.

In 1837, Victoria - the last Hanoverian monarch - took to the British Throne but Hanover's semi-Salic law, which decreed that a female cannot acceed to its throne whilst any male of the dynasty survived, saw to it that Victoria could not reign Hanover, too, and the personal union between Britain and Hanover ended.

Exhibitions across London are celebrating this 300th anniversary of the Hanoverian accession, including The First Georgians: Art & Monarchy 1714-1760 at The Queen's Gallery, Buckingham Palace, with over 300 Georgian treasures from the Royal Collection.

And television is celebrating, too. The brilliant BBC4 is airing a new series, The First Georgians, starting on Thursday and presented by historian Lucy Worsley, who is also curator of Historic Royal Palaces, which will explore the lives of the British Hanoverian monarchs.

Our most calamitous Kings, the troubled lives of our Hanoverian monarchs are revealed in a fascinating new series

A new series will explore the lives of British Hanoverian monarchs

It marks the 300 years since George I ascended the throne

The series starts Thursday, 9pm on BBC4

By Lucy Worsley
25 April 2014
Daily Mail

Are you under the impression that Henry VIII was the most dysfunctional monarch we've ever had?

Meeting our Hanoverian kings of the 18th century might make you think again.

We'll be hearing a lot about them in 2014, as our first Hanoverian monarch George I - distant forebear of today's little Prince George (who, when he becomes king, will be George VII or George VIII unless he uses a middle name as his regnal name) - ascended the throne exactly 300 years ago.

George I ascended the throne exactly 300 years ago

Exhibitions across London are celebrating this anniversary, including The First Georgians: Art & Monarchy 1714-1760 at The Queen's Gallery, Buckingham Palace, with over 300 Georgian treasures from the Royal Collection.

At Historic Royal Palaces, where I am a curator, we're covering the stories of George I at Hampton Court and George II at Kensington Palace. I'll also be introducing George I and George II, Britain's least-known kings, in a new BBC 4 series The First Georgians.

It's funny to think that our modern British monarchy originated in Germany, and that Georg Ludwig, Elector of Hanover (effectively a prince), was invited to become King George I of Great Britain through an accident of biology.

In 1714 his distant cousin Queen Anne, the last Stuart monarch, died with no surviving children, despite having gone through 18 pregnancies trying to produce an heir. Her nearest relatives were all Catholic, and therefore unacceptable to Britain's powerful Protestant ruling class.

George II (left) and his grandson George III (right) who both were said to have volatile relationships with their family

So Parliament looked for Anne's nearest surviving Protestant relatives and finally found them living in the sleepy little German state of Hanover.

German Georg was then 54 years old, and wasn't all that keen on coming over to Britain to start a new career as king. He wasn't warmly welcomed by his new subjects either.

One spectator at his Coronation waved a turnip on a stick: the message was that Hanover was a place full of yokels. His new subjects also believed he had brought with him no fewer than two mistresses - one fat, one thin - known as The Elephant and The Maypole.

'The king rejects no woman if she is very willing, very fat, and has great breasts,' one courtier claimed.

In reality, the king's poor English was at the root of the misunderstanding. The Elephant was really his half-sister and he lived with his single, skinny, almost respectable mistress of more than 20 years Melusine, with whom he had three illegitimate daughters.

But there was a fiery sexual scandal in King George's past. In the 1690s, his wife, Sophia Dorothea of Celle, had embarked upon an affair with a Swedish count while George consorted with Melusine.

George IV (pictured) tried to carry out a coup and become king in his father George III's place whilst Prince Regent

Their love letters were leaked and George was humiliated throughout Europe. Rumour has it he had the lover assassinated, and it's absolutely certain he divorced his wife for adultery, placing her under house arrest in a remote German castle for the rest of her life.

At the time George I locked up his wife, their son, the future George II, was only 11. He would never see his mother again. This was one factor in the appallingly bad relationship that developed between these two. George I was quiet and shy, whereas George II was volatile and passionate.

George I had hated his wife, while George II loved his own deeply. The parties George I held at Kensington Palace were rivalled by the exciting soirées hosted elsewhere by his son. At the Prince of Wales's parties, people were said to have had so much fun 'some virgins conceived'.

This bad feeling came to a head in the ludicrous events of 1717, known as 'The Christening Quarrel'. When the Prince of Wales and his wife Caroline had their fifth child, the baby's christening was interrupted by a gate-crasher, the Duke of Newcastle, who'd been sent by the king to be a spy in his son's camp.

'You rascal!' the Prince of Wales said to the Duke, 'I will find you later!' Unfortunately, because all the Hanoverians spoke English with a thick German accent, what the courtier heard was, 'You rascal! I will fight you!'

He took this as an invitation to a duel - a dreadful breach of court etiquette - and complained to the king, who, believing the worst, expelled his son and Princess Caroline from the royal palaces.

He also kept behind four of his grandchildren as hostages for future good behaviour from their father the Prince of Wales.

Poor Princess Caroline 'fell into one faint after another' as she said goodbye to her weeping children. Worse still, the new baby boy, whose christening had ignited the quarrel, was given poor medical care, and died.

Accounts in the National Archives record payment for a little square of black velvet, the size of a child's coffin.

This quarrel dangerously tarnished the image of the new Royal Family. And yet the alternative was seen as even worse. Few people wanted the Catholic Stuart claimants to the throne back again: the Old Pretender James Stuart, and then his son, the Young Pretender Bonnie Prince Charlie.

Slowly but surely, with growing confidence, kings George I and then George II settled into their new realm, providing steady government, and crushing two rebellions by their exiled rivals.

Historian, Dr Lucy Worsley, will present The First Georgians starting on Thursday, 9pm on BBC4

George I's great-grandson, George III, completed the process of transplantation when he came to the throne in 1760. 'I was born and educated in this country,' he proudly declared, 'I glory in the name of Britain.'

A kind and welcoming man, he came to the throne resolved 'to introduce a new custom': that all his 'family should live well together', because he was 'very sorry for the misunderstandings that there had formerly been'.

He proceeded to act on this by marrying a German princess, Charlotte, remaining uxoriously devoted to her and fathering 15 children.

Yet one thing remained the same. As the years rolled by, even the friendly George III came to have a terrible relationship with his own eldest son, the future George IV.

When the king began to suffer from debilitating bouts of a mysterious illness, possibly porphyria, or maybe bipolar disorder, his son tried to carry out a coup and become king in his father's place.

Today, many people have difficulty identifying the four Georgian monarchs, thinking them grumpy, German and indistinguishable.

But in reality they were human beings, experiencing pain and passion just as the rest of us do. This year's exhibitions and programmes about the Hanoverian kings will hopefully bring them back to vivid life.

The First Georgians, Thursday, 9pm, BBC4. The First Georgians: Art & Monarchy 1714-1760 is showing at The Queen's Gallery until 12 October.

Last edited:

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
George III was a brilliant monarch, until his "Madness" incapacitated him (most scholars believe that he had Porphyria). He accomplished a great deal, not the least being his eventual winning of the wars with France, Spain and Holland.

He did have one small blip in his reign, the loss of the American Colonies.

But overall, his reign was one of the best in the Hisptoy of Great Britain

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
George III was a brilliant monarch, until his "Madness" incapacitated him (most scholars believe that he had Porphyria). He accomplished a great deal, not the least being his eventual winning of the wars with France, Spain and Holland.

He did have one small blip in his reign, the loss of the American Colonies.

But overall, his reign was one of the best in the Hisptoy of Great Britain

George III is often accused of obstinately trying to keep Great Britain at war with the revolutionaries in America, despite the opinions of his own ministers. In the words of the Victorian author George Trevelyan, the King was determined "never to acknowledge the independence of the Americans, and to punish their contumacy by the indefinite prolongation of a war which promised to be eternal."The King wanted to "keep the rebels harassed, anxious, and poor, until the day when, by a natural and inevitable process, discontent and disappointment were converted into penitence and remorse". However, more recent historians defend George by saying in the context of the times no king would willingly surrender such a large territory, and his conduct was far less ruthless than contemporary monarchs in Europe.

George III of the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

George III (reigned 1760-1820; his granddaughter Victoria and his great-great-great-great-granddaughter Elizabeth II are the only British monarchs to have lived longer and reigned longer than George III) was known as Farmer George because, like his great-great-great-great-great-grandson Prince Charles, he was interested in agriculture.

Under George III, the British Agricultural Revolution reached its peak and great advances were made in fields such as science and industry. There was unprecedented growth in the rural population, which in turn provided much of the workforce for the concurrent Industrial Revolution.

George's collection of mathematical and scientific instruments is now housed in the Science Museum, London; he funded the construction and maintenance of British astronomer William Herschel's 40-foot telescope, known as the Great Forty-Foot telescope, which was the biggest ever built at the time. He used the telescope to discover Saturn's moons Enceladus and Mimas in 1789. Herschel also discovered the planet Uranus, which he at first named Georgium Sidus (George's Star) after the King, in 1781.

The Science Museum's King George III collection: The King George III Collection - Online science - Science Museum

William Herschel

William Herschel's Great Forty-Foot telescope, which was based at Observatory House in Slough, Berkshire, was the largest telescope ever built when in operation between 1787 and 1839. Its construction and mantenance was funded by George III and Herschel used the telescope to discover Saturn's moons Enceladus and Mimas in 1789. He also discovered the planet Uranus, which he at first named Georgium Sidus (George's Star) after the King, in 1781.

An 1839 photograph, taken by William Herschel's son John, of the frame of the 40-foot telescope during its dismantling

George III, shown here in 1800, was a popular monarch

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The First Georgians: The German Kings Who Made Britain

Episode 1

In 1714, to prevent the crown falling into the hands of a Catholic, Britain shipped in a ready-made royal family from the small German state of Hanover. To understand this risky experiment, presenter Dr Lucy Worsley has been given access to treasures from the Royal Collection as they are prepared for a new exhibition at the Queen's Gallery, Buckingham Palace - providing a rare and personal insight into George I and his feuding dynasty.

The Hanoverians arrived at a moment when Britain was changing fast. Satirists were free to mock the powerful, including the new royals. The Hanoverians themselves were busy early adopters of Neo-Palladian architecture, defining the whole look of the Georgian era. When the French philosopher Voltaire visited, he found a 'land of liberty' unlike anything in Europe - Britain was embracing freedom of speech and modern cabinet government.

Watch it here: BBC iPlayer - The First Georgians: The German Kings Who Made Britain: Episode 1

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
In essence the Brits wanted to be conquered.

And to this very day england is ruled by Germans.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.... rulers of the English... you are a subject of the Germans.