Ancient Carthaginians sacrificed their children: study

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Ancient Carthaginians sacrificed their children: study
WENN.com
First posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:09 PM EST | Updated: Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:22 PM EST
For years the claims of ancient Greeks and Romans that Carthaginians sacrificed their own children were dismissed as dark propaganda, but a new study claims to prove the ancient residents of modern day Tunisia did in fact kill their offspring as offerings to their gods.
The argument over the Carthaginians' sacrificial practices has raged since the start of the 20th century, when cemeteries excavated on the outskirts of Carthage were found filled with tiny bones.
Some experts claimed this proved gruesome ancient accounts to be true, while others claimed carvings of priests carrying small children simply showed the society's devotion to children who had died before birth or soon after being delivered and were given a respected and revered burial.
A new study published in the journal Antiquity insists the suggestion of propaganda is nothing more than 20th century squirmishness. Oxford lecturer in ancient history
Josephine Quinn tells The Guardian, "This (child sacrifice) is some thing dismissed as black propaganda because in modern times people just didn't want to believe it. But when you pull together all the evidence - archaeological, epigraphic and literary - it is overwhelming and, we believe, conclusive: they did kill their children, and on the evidence of the inscriptions, not just as an offering for future favours but fulfilling a promise that had already been made."
Quinn and a team of experts from from Italy and Holland also reject the suggestion that the bones of infants found in the cemeteries were those of still born children or infant deaths, citing references in inscriptions that claim a response from the gods.
Quinn explains, "The inscriptions are unequivocal: time and again we find the explanation that the gods 'heard my voice and blessed me'. It cannot be that so many children conveniently happened to die at just the right time to become an offering - and in any case a poorly or dead child would make a pretty feeble offering if you're alre ady worried about the gods rejecting it."
Ancient historians like the Roman Diodorus give graphic accounts of child sacrifice in the ancient society, describing a fiery pit the children were killed in and suggesting that wealthy people who bought poor children for the purpose of sacrifice feared they were being punished for not sacrificing their own offspring.
According to Quinn, our reluctance to accept the practice of child sacrifice is simply a case of modern people shying away from the brutal lifestyles of ancient societies.
She adds, "The feeling that some ultimate taboo is being broken is very strong. It was striking how often colleagues, when they asked what I was working on, reacted with horror and said, 'Oh no, that's simply not possible, you must have got it wrong'. We like to think that we're quite close to the ancient world, that they were really just like us - the truth is, I'm afraid, that they really weren't."
The 2,000 year old Phoenician ruins of Carthage near Tunis. (QMI Agency files)

Ancient Carthaginians sacrificed their children: study | World | News | Toronto Sun

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
According to Quinn, our reluctance to accept the practice of child sacrifice is simply a case of modern people shying away from the brutal lifestyles of ancient societies.
Well, at least Quinn isn't being judgmental about it.

She adds, "The feeling that some ultimate taboo is being broken is very strong. It was striking how often colleagues, when they asked what I was working on, reacted with horror and said, 'Oh no, that's simply not possible, you must have got it wrong'. We like to think that we're quite close to the ancient world, that they were really just like us - the truth is, I'm afraid, that they really weren't."
We aren't? We don't abuse, neglect, and kill our children?

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
The Carthaginians were the descendants of Phoenicians. The Phoenicians worshiped Baal. Baal demanded human sacricfices...children specifically. After the sacrifice Baal would shed a Tear. Hence, BaalsTears.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
We like to think that we're quite close to the ancient world, that they were really just like us - the truth is, I'm afraid, that they really weren't."

Really? We're 'better' somehow? I'm sorry but tons of parents murder their children. We cull defective humans through selective abortion. We may not have a social platform for it, but we do it. Social norms have changed, but we have not traveled any significant evolutionary distance from the ancient world.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Really? We're 'better' somehow? I'm sorry but tons of parents murder their children. We cull defective humans through selective abortion. We may not have a social platform for it, but we do it. Social norms have changed, but we have not traveled any significant evolutionary distance from the ancient world.

And some are killing their kids even earlier by wearing condoms. :)

I think there is a significant difference from then to now. There are devients but generally we are pretty protective of our young once they are born. Even taking abortions into account, I still think that is statistically insigificant compared to back then.

And I have no intention of this turning into yet another abortion debate. I just think while we may have a lot to go, we have come a long way.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
And some by not having sex!

I think there is a significant difference from then to now. There are devients but generally we are pretty protective of our young once they are born. Even taking abortions into account, I still think that is statistically insigificant compared to back then.
Define "we." There are thousands of examples of parents failing to protect their kids because they're too lazy or unconcerned. Thousands more of parents actively harming their children. Who cares if the motivation is some god or just plain old stupidity and indifference?

And I have no intention of this turning into yet another abortion debate. I just think while we may have a lot to go, we have come a long way.
Aw. Why not? The last eleventy-ump bazillion abortion debates have been so productive!

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Odd that they dismissed it as Greek or Roman propaganda. Its not like they were particularly good with children. They had no qualms with enslaving or killing them, even their own. Child sacrifice is well known to have happened in a number of civilizations throughout history. Why deny that Carthage did it? It makes no sense.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

There are a lot of differences, for a lot of reasons. They don't amount to us being more humane or far removed from the behaviours that lie at the root of this. Honour killings still happen, people have starved their children for the sake of their religions, for the sake of their veganism, Jehova's WItnesses still let their children die for their religion. We're not 'above' any of this history.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
There are a lot of differences, for a lot of reasons. They don't amount to us being more humane or far removed from the behaviours that lie at the root of this. Honour killings still happen, people have starved their children for the sake of their religions, for the sake of their veganism, Jehova's WItnesses still let their children die for their religion. We're not 'above' any of this history.
we aren't above this as human beings but it isn't endorsed as a part of our society

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

we aren't above this as human beings but it isn't endorsed as a part of our society

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Propitiation of the god(s) through animal and human sacrifice was(is) a fundamental aspect of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.