Which country has produced the most inventions?

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
A study by MITI - Japan's equivalent of the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) - concluded that 54% of the world's most important inventions were British. Of the rest, 25% were American and 5% Japanese.

The figures offered by MITI are generally agreed throughout the scientific and engineering community. However, it is important to note that "invention" does not immediately translate into "new product". There is a huge journey to move from an invention to reaching the market place with a product, one that demands engineering and development skills as well as significant amounts of money.

Britain is credited with numerous inventions. One great example is the digital audio player. The first operating player was British. One would have to search long and hard to find a British MP3 player on the market today. It took Apple, an American corporation to fund the development work and deliver the Ipod to market.

Television is another example: The first operating television system was made, demonstrated and put into service in the UK by John Logie Baird and the BBC in the 1920s. Philo Farnsworth and RCA in the US made some significant developments and introduced commercial broadcasting in the 1930s. The US was the first to introduce color television, free market broadcasting and cable services to support multiple television channels. Most broadcast equipment is now made by US companies with Britain and the Far East behind the US in terms of output. Before moving on from television, it is worth noting that Baird used ideas developed by a German (with Russian heritage) some 20 or 30 years before. Farnsworth and Baird also worked together in the early thirties and they both had the benefit of research carried out by developers in many countries. To say that television is the invention of a single country is perhaps too simplistic.

There are many other examples that can be quoted. Undoubtedly Britain remains one of the leaders in science and innovation and America remains one of the great countries for bringing ideas to market. The culture of British universities encourages great minds to keep researching and inventing. The culture of American investment and business encourages entrepreneurs to take an idea and develop viable products.

There is often debate about the source of new ideas and inventions. Today's global environment allows ideas to be shared throughout the world. Inventions will be increasingly difficult to assign to a single country. It is perhaps more important that we celebrate and honor the great minds of all nationalities that have studied the world and developed technology to bring us to the point we are today

Which country has produced the most inventions

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A study by MITI - Japan's equivalent of the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) - concluded that 54% of the world's most important inventions were British. Of the rest, 25% were American and 5% Japanese.

The figures offered by MITI are generally agreed throughout the scientific and engineering community. However, it is important to note that "invention" does not immediately translate into "new product". There is a huge journey to move from an invention to reaching the market place with a product, one that demands engineering and development skills as well as significant amounts of money.

Britain is credited with numerous inventions. One great example is the digital audio player. The first operating player was British. One would have to search long and hard to find a British MP3 player on the market today. It took Apple, an American corporation to fund the development work and deliver the Ipod to market.

Television is another example: The first operating television system was made, demonstrated and put into service in the UK by John Logie Baird and the BBC in the 1920s. Philo Farnsworth and RCA in the US made some significant developments and introduced commercial broadcasting in the 1930s. The US was the first to introduce color television, free market broadcasting and cable services to support multiple television channels. Most broadcast equipment is now made by US companies with Britain and the Far East behind the US in terms of output. Before moving on from television, it is worth noting that Baird used ideas developed by a German (with Russian heritage) some 20 or 30 years before. Farnsworth and Baird also worked together in the early thirties and they both had the benefit of research carried out by developers in many countries. To say that television is the invention of a single country is perhaps too simplistic.

There are many other examples that can be quoted. Undoubtedly Britain remains one of the leaders in science and innovation and America remains one of the great countries for bringing ideas to market. The culture of British universities encourages great minds to keep researching and inventing. The culture of American investment and business encourages entrepreneurs to take an idea and develop viable products.

There is often debate about the source of new ideas and inventions. Today's global environment allows ideas to be shared throughout the world. Inventions will be increasingly difficult to assign to a single country. It is perhaps more important that we celebrate and honor the great minds of all nationalities that have studied the world and developed technology to bring us to the point we are today

Which country has produced the most inventions

I know Australia invented the Boomerang, that's one of the ones that sticks out most in my mind!

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I used to have a boomerang. I used to throw it on the field in front of my house but I could never get it to come back.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I know Australia invented the Boomerang, that's one of the ones that sticks out most in my mind!

Do you know what you call a boomerang that doesn't come back?.............A stick..

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Didn't you send it back for a refund?

No. I lost it. I accidentally threw it into a pond. That was in the early Nineties when I was a kid. Some relative of mine brought it back from Australia with them. I think they went there visiting relatives we have there.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Then you should have played your didgeridoo. Australia
invented those too did they not? The west doesn't invent
things anymore they play electronic games made somehwere
else.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I hope you are not betting your first born. -:) I think the answer is supposed to be Great Britain.

I figured BlackLeaf would have that covered. Lol.

I choose an industrious but small country. What can I say? I'm a sucker for the underdog.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I figured BlackLeaf would have that covered. Lol.

I choose an industrious but small country. What can I say? I'm a sucker for the underdog.

You can say that again........... Liechtenstein is about the size of my back yard! -:)

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario