The Real Life “George Bailey”

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Who Founded Bank of Italy which Became Bank of America

Today I found out about the real life “George Bailey” (It’s a Wonderful Life), who founded the Bank of Italy which became Bank of America.

The man was A.P. Giannini who was said to be who Capra modeled the character of George Bailey as well as the bank president in Capra’s 1932 movie, American Madness, after. At the age of 14, Giannini left school and began working with his step father, Lorenzo Scatena, in the produce industry as a produce broker. By the time he was 31, he was able to sell much of his interest in this company to his employees and had planned to retire. However, one year later, he was asked to join the Columbus Savings & Loan Society, which was a small bank in North Beach, California.

more

The Real Life

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Might force me to re-assess my opinion of bankers. Giannini was of a much different character than the slime balls who run investment banks on Wall Street these days.. in a much different time.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Might force me to re-assess my opinion of bankers. Giannini was of a much different character than the slime balls who run investment banks on Wall Street these days.. in a much different time.

Don't forget the slime balls that run the banks on Bay street.