Russia Bans all GM corn products EU considers Monsanto ban

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Russia bans all GM corn imports; EU may also ban Monsanto GMO in wake of shocking cancer findings

Russia bans all GM corn imports; EU may also ban Monsanto GMO in wake of shocking cancer findings

by Mike Adams, the Health Ranger, NaturalNews Editor

(NaturalNews) Russia has now officially banned all imports of genetically modified corn, citing concerns from a recent study by French researchers showing rats grew massive cancer tumors when fed a lifetime of Monsanto's genetically modified corn.

Russia's consumer protection group, Rospotrebnadzor, said it was halting all imports of GM corn while the country's Institute of Nutrition will be evaluating the results of the study.

The Russian ban is the latest blow to Monsanto, a company desperately clinging to the myth that its genetically modified crops are "no different" than traditional crops and therefore long-term safety testing is completely unnecessary. Monsanto has assaulted the French study, claiming it did not use enough rats and that the duration of the study was too short -- an absurd claim, given that Monsanto's own studies on animals are only 90 days in duration, while the French study looked at the effects of rats eating GM corn (and drinking trace levels of Roundup herbicide) for two years.

Notably, the large cancer tumors did not begin to appear until after the rats reached adulthood. Monsanto's GM corn has been in the U.S. food supply for more than a decade, and its corn is found in many popular breakfast cereals.

A European ban, too?

In addition to the Russian ban, Monsanto may also soon be facing a European ban. France is reported asking for a European-wide ban o

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Good news. We should do the same before there are too many health problems showing up. Naturopaths have been saying for years that GM foods are unhealthy .

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Good news. We should do the same before there are too many health problems showing up. Naturopaths have been saying for years that GM foods are unhealthy .

The resistance to that very smart health move has already started. These bastards have been poisoning us with frankenfood and making us pay for it. These subhuman monsters deserve to hang.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Genetic Roulette MovieGenetic Roulette | The Gamble of Our Lives

geneticroulettemovie.com/
This seminal documentary provides compelling evidence to help explain the deteriorating health of Americans, especially among children, and offers a recipe for ...

I have grandchildren. Wait till I get my hands on one of these inhuman pricks.
Maybe they should lay off pounding down the big macs?
Blame Monsanto,if what they were doing was illegal they would be behind bars right now.

I often wonder how many people are being cloned right now behind closed doors a la monsanto style?
They could filter these clones into the GP much like they do with their genetically improved seeds.

Me smells a conspiracy.

:)

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I don't suppose anyone actually read the study (Article in press at this link)? As the recently departed Koko mentioned, it starts out with a bad smell when the researchers release pre-prints of their paper with an embargo forbidding journalists from seeking evaluation from researchers in the field. That not only smells, it's plainly unethical.

As for the actual study? Turns out their study population is a population of rats known for their predisposition towards tumor development (That's a paper from the 70's demonstrating spontaneous tumor development in this study population). There are known factors that influence tumor development that the researchers did not control for. That's a pretty big red flag.

The study was asymmetrical; there were 4 times more experimentally treated rats than controls. For context, when we perform clinical trials at my place of work for new pharmaceuticals or vaccines, it's a requirement to have balanced study designs. Straight up 1:1 for controls:vaccinates, for example. In one of my trials we tested three vaccine batches for efficacy, 110 fish in each group, and 330 controls in the tank. That was more to do with the effect of naive fish on disease transmission though than for statistical power purposes.

As for their results? Some test groups had higher tumor % while others did not, including some experimental groups showing superior results to the placebo. Rather than using conventional stats, the French team used convoluted A N A L Y S I S that gives me even less confidence in their already spotty results.

And the biggest red flag of them all, the researchers gave absolutely no data, no evaluation, no A N A L Y S I Sof a dose response. That is truly bizarre, and the editors should have sent the article back for revision on this alone. The dose determines the effectiveness of a toxic effect, and they didn't even bother to design their groups with increasing dosage concentrations. That is just plain garbage. They assume toxicity without showing toxicity.

So in all from my quick read, they didn't want independent reporting of their in-press article. They used a population of rats known for developing tumors spontaneously, and under certain conditions that they didn't bother to control for. They used an unbalanced design, with unconventional toxicological statistical A N A L Y S I S.They didn't find a consistent effect from the treatments, as some experimental groups even outperformed the controls. And they had no pharmacokinetic data to show dose effects of the purported toxicity.

Garbage. I suspect this will be refuted with proper designs that fail to reproduce these findings, inconsistent as they are already.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
GMO Technology, Glyphosate Toxicity Leaving Men Sterile - BlackListedNews.com

The History of How Wheat Became Toxic « Maninis Gluten Free
Modern wheat has had a very long history of hybridization, starting with ancestral grasses in the wild and also occurring naturally in farmers’ fields in antiquity. Humans have continued the process chemically in the last century, and especially during the last 50 years in order to increase yields, resist fungal diseases and pest attacks, improve ease of mechanical harvesting and meet rigorous demands of industrial milling and mechanized baking methods. Transgenic wheat varieties via GMO technology are now waiting in the wings for their debut, albeit to an unexpectedly (at least to Monsanto) hostile audience both at home and abroad.

Monsanto's Fading Grasp. South Africa considers GMO corn ban.

Following in the footsteps of nations like France and Russia, South Africa may soon be the latest nation to enact a ban on Monsanto’s GMO corn that was recently linked to tumor development and organ damage in rats. South Africa’s African Centre for Biosafety (ACB), a watchdog organization that was created to protect consumers from various biotechnology dangers, is now calling on South African authorities to enact a ban on Monsanto’s tumor-linked maize crop known as NK603.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
In the midst of this a company out of Summerland BC is trying to get approval for
a GM apple called the Arctic Apple, it non browning. Give me a break, both the
organic and conventional industry are coming together to fight this thing. It would
wipe out the organic industry and damage the market for apples in BC as people
do not want GM apples.
I hope more countries shut down this GM food production system it is not proven
and it could be a health mess before people and governments come to grips with it.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
There is so much boogey man surrounding GM food. If a plant breeder selects and selects and selects and ends up with a plant resistant to disease, nobody bats an eye. It's protein(s) that wasn't found in the plant before, just like a protein that prevents browning on apples. Somehow the latter is more devastating without any data indicating such to be the case. In a world where wasted food accounts for about one third of global production, and which if solved could go great lengths to reducing famine globally.

You can't just assume a new protein is going to be inherently bad, and will wipe out ecosystems...you need data to say that. And you need data from properly controlled trials, not like this awful rat study.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Maybe they should lay off pounding down the big macs?
Blame Monsanto,if what they were doing was illegal they would be behind bars right now.

I often wonder how many people are being cloned right now behind closed doors a la monsanto style?
They could filter these clones into the GP much like they do with their genetically improved seeds.

Me smells a conspiracy.

:)

Thalidomide was legal too. We all know how well that turned out.

There is so much boogey man surrounding GM food. If a plant breeder selects and selects and selects and ends up with a plant resistant to disease, nobody bats an eye. It's protein(s) that wasn't found in the plant before, just like a protein that prevents browning on apples. Somehow the latter is more devastating without any data indicating such to be the case. In a world where wasted food accounts for about one third of global production, and which if solved could go great lengths to reducing famine globally.

You can't just assume a new protein is going to be inherently bad, and will wipe out ecosystems...you need data to say that. And you need data from properly controlled trials, not like this awful rat study.

There is a huge difference between selective seeding and implanting a tomato gene in a strawberry just to make it red.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I have not read enough to have an informed opinion to the GM question. I do however know plenty about Monsanto and its business practices to like the idea of them being shut down on a global level. These guys are the scum of the earth, have openly stated their quest to control ALL food production on the planet. The way they treat the farmers is pathetic and their influence in govt (all bought & paid for) has allowed them far too much control over our crops. Canada should boot them from operating in our nation completely and we should all rally our MPs to do it.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

You can assume that a gene spliced into a cell is synthetic and has not the approval of natural selection though. When will you give up the horse**** about increased food production, that has not happened anywhere. Dead livestock is all the data common sense needs. There is absolutely no way that synthetics can ever mirror natural foods. Tampering with the genes in food stocks should carry the death penalty. Canadian Food Inspection Agency!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! give us a break man none of those twats work for us.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
You can assume that a gene spliced into a cell is synthetic and has not the approval of natural selection though.

Synthetic just means combination of multiple parts. New anti-biotic resistant bacteria are formed by synthesis when they exchange plasmid DNA horizontally. Synthesis can be artificial and natural. Again, like I said, you can't just assume a new protein is inherently bad, or that one process will produce a protein that is safer than the other. That is plain bull crap.