Catholic Discussion

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
I think I am much more in tune with what you are saying than what some others are saying...mind you, Ie.

Many people prefer the sort of theology our friend AJ presents because it is terribly simple to take the Bible and shape it to your individual way of thinking. It comforts people like him because it does require a leap of faith to understand the text they are reading. Saddly, it is not Christ centred thinking, but rather very, very humanistic. Now our friend will say, "ah, but do I not mention Christ all the time?" To which one can reply, "Yes, but so does the devil."

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
I am reading some articles from Alan Race about his views. They are interesting in that I sort of arrived at similar conclusions.

The differing point between him and I is that I hinge everything on Christ as the ultimate end to all questions concerning life.

Peace>>>AJ:love9:

You know, in truth, I find myself at a loss as to understanding why you continue to post non-Catholic theology in a Catholic discussion thread? Couldn't you post your heretical comments in a thread devoted to Protestant thinking instead?

look3467

Council Member
Dec 13, 2006
Northern California
You know, in truth, I find myself at a loss as to understanding why you continue to post non-Catholic theology in a Catholic discussion thread? Couldn't you post your heretical comments in a thread devoted to Protestant thinking instead?

It is easy to understand why you are at a loss my friend Sanctus. You can only see through the eyes of the church while as I can see through the eyes of the Holy Spirit.
Please, let me clarify what I said: Jesus said that the Holy Spirit was to be our instructor.

Joh 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

If, we read the bible from start to finish with the intent of knowing more about our creator God, and hoping to have a stronger relationship with Him, He will instruct us on how we can find Him.

The bible though made into one book has all the information for us to know who God is and what His desires for us are.

Apart from the bible, apart from any church organization, the Holy Spirit is at work in the hearts of mankind.

It is not restrained by any earthly hindrance to carry out it's desires, only by the biggest hindrance to the Holy Spirit : that being our own blindness.

We are blinded by mankind's traditions, writings, interpretations and practices.

Though they have a part in bringing people to God, yet does not have the power to save anybody from eternal damnation.

I post here Sanctus to offer a view that glorifies Jesus, makes Him the center of our adoration, the power and might of the Almighty God to save to the utter most a lost soul, and His Holy Spirit that guides us daily through this world of the flesh in victory.

Now, having said all that, just what part of it are you against? Are you not a Jesus believer? Are you not trusting in Jesus? Are you not promoting His love amongst your brethern?

Why is it that I glorify Jesus and you oppose me like I had the plague?

I don't speak against the Catholic Church, but rather encourage participation. I am not at odds with the Church as long as it glorifies Jesus as the one and only God that saves. If I am at odds, it is not because of me but because of the churches requirements.
You do have a soul apart from the church don't you? Well then, what hinders you from loving someone who is glorifying Christ?

Does it not say that to much given much is required? Well, I my friend, above all you have been given much in the training of the things of God. and are in position to disperse that information as dictated by the attitude of God.
That attitude being the love of God towards all mankind and requiring nothing but faith in God by Jesus our Lord.

God did not make belief in Him a hard thing to grasp. He said simply: Joh 14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.

Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

If, but we could only believe in faith what He said, we shall find rest for our souls.

Doesn't require any work on our part, just faith in Him. He then does the work of regeneration in us towards our sanctification as saints fit for the glory of God.

He does the work of cleansing us from all our fleshly desires that tent to become our gods.

If anything, Sanctus, I commend you for your dedication to the cause of Christ, but to deny me to Christ is somewhat of a problem to you.

Where in you is the love of Christ who condemns not? Yet the church condemns me as a heretic, does it not?

But look, I condemn no one, and yet I minister the things of God in a loving compassionate way.

Can you join me? The needs of people are not in things of the world, but in things of the heart.
The poor we will always have, it is curse to our good.

The path to their hearts is the love of God demonstrated by us as His direct representative. Why? Because He dwells in us!

Remember, that learning can only be done in an adverse situation, otherwise, remain the same.

Stagnant, no growth spiritually, when dependent on some earthly structure.

But land Jesus in our hearts, and we sore to heights unlimited. Limited only by our own hindrances to take a step out in faith.

look3467

Council Member
Dec 13, 2006
Northern California
I can only say that the level of your ignorance of the Scriptures frightens me.
I understand your fears. You have somewhat to fear, for the ground you are standing on is shaky.
Whereas, I stand on a firm foundation, unshaken, unmovable, solid as a rock, the rock of ages, the rock of my salvation.
This rock is Jesus! I bow to no other than He alone.
Am I still ignorant of what the scriptures say about my rock?

Perhaps, you might want to reconsider your understanding of the scriptures in light of who Jesus really is and what He means in your life?
Psa 94:22 But the LORD is my defence; and my God is the rock of my refuge.
Psa 71:3 Be thou my strong habitation, whereunto I may continually resort: thou hast given commandment to save me; f or thou art my rock and my fortress.

look3467

Council Member
Dec 13, 2006
Northern California
Many people prefer the sort of theology our friend AJ presents because it is terribly simple to take the Bible and shape it to your individual way of thinking. It comforts people like him because it does require a leap of faith to understand the text they are reading. Saddly, it is not Christ centred thinking, but rather very, very humanistic. Now our friend will say, "ah, but do I not mention Christ all the time?" To which one can reply, "Yes, but so does the devil."

I believe my friend that you are the one who needs to take a leap of faith! You need to venture out of your comfort zone (The church) and latch on to Jesus, a sure foundation for your faith to rest on.

Is He not the one that saves?

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
I understand your fears. You have somewhat to fear, for the ground you are standing on is shaky.
Whereas, I stand on a firm foundation, unshaken, unmovable, solid as a rock, the rock of ages, the rock of my sal

I feel so fundamentally sorry for you AJ. You are so close, yet so far. I pray the day will come when Jesus is truly the centre of your focus.

look3467

Council Member
Dec 13, 2006
Northern California
I feel so fundamentally sorry for you AJ. You are so close, yet so far. I pray the day will come when Jesus is truly the centre of your focus.

How much closer would you say I need for Christ to be the "centre" of my focus, when all I do is mention His name constantly and without reservation?

Come on Sanctus, we both know that the church is the divisor in out views!

God is the numerator, the church is the divisor and we are 2 divided under the same God.

When we should be one under one because one divided by one is one!

So take the divisor out of the way and let us deal directly with God. (Christ)

Peace>>>AJ:cool:

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Apart from the church you have no argument with me.

Apart from the Church, I have a great deal of cause for argument with you, starting with your half-cocked ideas and amazing lack of knowledge about the Scriptures. But in truth, I will refrain from arguing with you. You are utterly convinced of your own beliefs, and I hesitate to argue with your self-centred theories on what the Scriptures mean. I honestly have little patience with people who feel they can interpret Scriptures on their own.I personally believe that people like you are one of the greatest dangers to the Christian message that the teaching of the Gospel faces in the modern world.

Last edited:

m_levesque

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
This may be more of a legal question, but as a mandated reporter, would a priest be required by law to report the sexual abuse of a minor if someone confessed it in the confessional? I understand the seal of confession, but what about a priests legal responsibility as a mandated reporter?

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
This may be more of a legal question, but as a mandated reporter, would a priest be required by law to report the sexual abuse of a minor if someone confessed it in the confessional? I understand the seal of confession, but what about a priests legal responsibility as a mandated reporter?
There are laws on the books that protect the seal of confession, but even if the civil law required a priest to report a sacramental confession of sexual abuse (or any other sin), the priest would be required by the Church to refuse to do so. The seal of confession is absolute and priests have been martyred by civil authorities who have tried to coerce information about sacramental confessions out of them. One example was St. John Nepomucene, the Martyr of the Confessional, who was executed for refusing to disclose to her husband the king a queen's sacramental confession.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
It isn't a point of wanting to or not. It's a faerie tale: the universe created me, not some invention of humans.

Just started to read this thread....

Just one point at this juncture before I continue.

Even his Holiness the Dali Lama teaches that we are sort of self created. When practising Christian Judaic belief systems I have no problem with that.

It's impossible for even the Buddha to teach what is what we know as God.

But by you useing the word Universe as your Creator are you not getting lost in symantics when you slam others understanding as fairy tales?
You can't define God with words. But you just did. Not that your belief is any more right or wrong from mine, it's just an awareness of something you have thought about. And that awareness has brought you to your understanding that the Universe Created you. Hmmmm useing a human abilty to invent an understanding...

SwitSof

Electoral Member
But by you useing the word Universe as your Creator are you not getting lost in symantics when you slam others understanding as fairy tales?
You can't define God with words. But you just did. Not that your belief is any more right or wrong from mine, it's just an awareness of something you have thought about. And that awareness has brought you to your understanding that the Universe Created you. Hmmmm useing a human abilty to invent an understanding...

I agree with Doc here.
Probably it's why it's called faith instead, cause it's more of what you believe even though you can't explain why exactly you have that belief.
There is a story I heard in a religion class when I was in Catholic school (yeah we have religion class in all schools back home, a country that wouldn't let you put Atheist as your religion status in your ID even though you are!):
A man (say it's A) saw a devoted religious man (say it's B) putting a bucket of sea water into a hole he digged over and over again.
A asked B how he can expect to put all of the sea water into a small hole.
Then B replied that that's the same with trying to understand everything what or how or why God does or did whatever God does/did with human's logic.

Actually it's sort of why I'm a little apprehensive with religion leaders' "understanding" and interpretation actually. After all they are humans too... A holy man might be a little bit different.

look3467

Council Member
Dec 13, 2006
Northern California
Apart from the Church, I have a great deal of cause for argument with you, starting with your half-cocked ideas and amazing lack of knowledge about the Scriptures. But in truth, I will refrain from arguing with you. You are utterly convinced of your own beliefs, and I hesitate to argue with your self-centred theories on what the Scriptures mean. I honestly have little patience with people who feel they can interpret Scriptures on their own.I personally believe that people like you are one of the greatest dangers to the Christian message that the teaching of the Gospel faces in the modern world.

Sanctus, I know what it is like to reject all others not in agreement with my views. It is a form of protectionism in ones faith.

The early church fathers promoted that protectionism which held people bondage to it's rules.

In a way it was good and and then it was not.

A child needs guidance in a religious environment as it core principles and values. But as the child matures in the faith, he will either remain or chase his own views as life experiences nudge him along.
A mature adult no longer remains in the parents home but must forge on to its own destiny.

Likewise a mature individual in the spiritual sense, learns by the guidance of the Holy Spirit to understand things of God in a way that enriches his life.

An enriched spiritual life is where the love of God resides, to the discrimination of none.

Jesus is our High Priest, a priest to all humanity regardless of religious affiliations, believers and unbelievers.

There are Rabbi's, priests, ministers and all clergies to meet the needs of all peoples, but Jesus is the High Priest, ministering to all peoples.

I as well as you believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior of our souls, and that there is none other.
What we have is trifle differences mainly on your end since I have none..

There is nothing for me to defend, for there are no man made laws and statues that I must adhere to.
I am free to share the love of God with all who would like to listen, discuss and or share their views.
There is one absolute that I stress, and that is that God loves us all.

And on that note, I share my time, my knowledge and understanding wisely, as to not offend.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
hat your belief is any more right or wrong from mine, it's just an awareness of something you have thought about. And that awareness has brought you to your understanding that the Universe Created you. Hmmmm useing a human abilty to invent an understanding...

Remember that the overall function of this thread is defined by its title:) "CATHOLIC" discussion. Buddhist points of view certainly have no place in such a discussion.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Sanctus, I know what it is like to reject all others not in agreement with my views. It is a form of protectionism in ones faith.

The early church fathers promoted that protectionism which held people bondage to it's rules.

In a way it was good and and then it was not.

Your comments do not reflect Catholic theology or doctrine, so one wonders at their inclusion on a Catholic themed thread?