End the Lockdown

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

-Mark Twain.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
That will not work.
Prohibition failed miserably.

Make up your mind as to what the issue is. You're against closing the liquor stores because prohibition doesn't work, or because of the withdrawl symptoms of the alcoholics. Which is it.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Dude, where do you learn to think like this? Have you no children of your own??

Parents and teachers are gravely concerned about the health and well being of the children. It has **** all to do with progressives.

What will be health consequences in the longer term in crippling the economy and losing all those jobs and businesses not to mention the crushing debt left behind and the resulting cutting of social services?

After 6 months without lockdown, Sweden's COVID-19 deaths, infections bottom out
Open schools, little mask usage, few restrictions have flouted much of the world's response.

https://justthenews.com/politics-po...no-lockdown-swedish-covid-deaths-bottomed-out

Good on the Swedes.

Sweden did not experience the apocalyptic fatality rates and hospital overloading that 'the experts' assured us would happen

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
What will be health consequences in the longer term in crippling the economy and losing all those jobs and businesses not to mention the crushing debt left behind and the resulting cutting of social services?
Sweden did not experience the apocalyptic fatality rates and hospital overloading that 'the experts' assured us would happen
nor did anyone else.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Opening the economy up too fast will backfire, and make things worse. Just look at how America is fairing, after relaxing the quarantine.
You are assuming this, no one can state conclusively what will or won't happen.

Sweden went for a "soft" shutdown, which backfired, as it did nothing for the economy, and put more burden on the health care system, as the country had one of the highest COVID rates in Europe.

It didn't back fire.

Where are all the covid deaths?... Hospitals in Sweden being overloaded and people dying in the streets?

Didn't happen, so exactly what back fired?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You are assuming this, no one can state conclusively what will or won't happen.
It didn't back fire.
Where are all the covid deaths?... Hospitals in Sweden being overloaded and people dying in the streets?
Didn't happen, so exactly what back fired?
Sweden, by many measures, did the worst of the Scandanavian countries.

By the way, is "people dying in the streets" the standard for public-health action in Canada?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009

By the way, is "people dying in the streets" the standard for public-health action in Canada?

Sweden did have higher rates however, they pale in comparison to the projected rates of hospitalization and fatalities.... For example, the Imperial College that released their projections stated that Canada would see between 300k and 350k fatalities from covid... we're around 9,000 today (mostly elderly or had pre-existing health issues)

That said, I suspect that Sweden will see a benefit relative to the longer term effects on mental/physical health that will result from the differential approach they took... Obviously these are my thoughts but time will tell.

PS - folks dying in the streets is the anthem for the rabid public healthcare exclusively demographic.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Cases of COVID (per 1,000,000 people) in countries that did a "soft" quarantine:

United States 17,812
Sweden 8,210

Cases of COVID (per 1,000,000 people) in countries that did a "hard quarantine:

Canada 3,162
France 3,031
Germany 2,593
Australia 838
Japan 370

Sweden's controversial anti-lockdown strategy resulted in a high death toll and no real economic gain

I want to see the deaths per 1,000,000 stats from COVID as well as the recovered with complications per million across the same countries to determine my opinion. The issue has never been the getting the virus. Its the cases that go to the ICU or deaths.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It is for the paranoid. If you look at the recent spate of ODs in BC it has some merit.
One of the oddities I have noticed about the pandemic of paranoia is that it seems to cross party lines. There are maskers/antimaskers and vaxer/antivaxers on both ends of the political spectrum. I am sort of middle of the road on both. Since I am accustomed to wearing a mask on FR calls when required I know there are times when it is good, but they need to be used properly. Most are not. Same for vaccines. Not against them but I would most certainly not rush out and take on the day it is invented. I want to see long term effects first.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Deaths related to COVID (per 1,000,000 people) in countries that did a "soft" quarantine:
United States 500
Sweden 571
Deaths related to COVID (per 1,000,000 people) in countries that did a "hard quarantine:
Canada 238
France 464
Germany 110
Australia 12
Japan 8
So we destroyed our economy for decades to come for 250 people?