El Paso shooting: At least 19 people dead, 40 injured, suspect in custody, police say

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Nope, more like.. “Let the Eastern bastards freeze in the dark!"
...and when Alberta joins the USA and no more oil and transfer payments.. there goes your welfare check.. :lol:
We get our of oil from just about anywhere but Alberta. Unfortunately, we buy our natural gas from there but if traitorous wretches like you kerp threatening our supply, we need to get it from more reliable places, like Saudi Arabia and Russia.

That way, not another nickel has to find it's way West and you don't have anything more to worry about when your resources staynicely in the ground.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Is that anything like "Hurtin' Albertan "?

Times are pretty good right now in the patch and likely to get better,

Once that the TMX is completed (construction has now been approved and underway by the Feds), we'll have less bottle neck and be getting closer to World prices, all thanks to the pipeline that your buddy tater tot purchased with all those hard-earned Ont and Que dollars.

We get our of oil from just about anywhere but Alberta. Unfortunately, we buy our natural gas from there but if traitorous wretches like you kerp threatening our supply, we need to get it from more reliable places, like Saudi Arabia and Russia.

That way, not another nickel has to find it's way West and you don't have anything more to worry about when your resources staynicely in the ground.

With the above in mind, you should be all about AB separating from the ROC, thereby fully eliminating any CAD from ending up in my pockets

Last edited:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Times are pretty good right now in the patch and likely to get better,
Once that the TMX is completed (construction has now been approved and underway by the Feds), we'll have less bottle neck and be getting closer to World prices, all thanks to the pipeline that your buddy tater tot purchased with all those hard-earned Ont and Que dollars.
With the above in mind, you should be all about AB separating from the ROC, thereby fully eliminating any CAD from ending up in my pockets
The Yanks already pay less for your petro products. Revenues will go down, down, down.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
'I'M NOT HIM:' Men who share same names as Texas, Ohio shooters attacked online
Reuters
Published:
August 5, 2019
Updated:
August 5, 2019 6:03 PM EDT
Shooting suspect Patrick Crusius, charged with capital murder for a mass shooting at a Walmart store in El Paso, is seen in this police photo released from El Paso, Texas, August 5, 2019. (Courtesy of El Paso Police Department/Handout via REUTERS)
NEW YORK — Hundreds of miles away from Saturday’s mass shooting at a Walmart in Texas, an Alabama man received a wave of death threats on social media because he has the misfortune of sharing a name with the man suspected of slaying 22 people in El Paso.
“I’ve got two young kids at the house. I’m worried for our safety and our safety in our home,” said Rebecca Calla Toulmin, speaking for her fiance, Patrick Crusius, a 33-year-old salesman from Montgomery, the state’s capital city.
Crusius’ namesake is the 21-year-old who police say travelled about 650 miles from his hometown in Allen, Texas, to El Paso, where he opened fire indiscriminately.
Meanwhile, Connor Betts, an 18-year-old in Cleveland, was living an identical nightmare to the Alabama man. Betts was mistaken for another suspected gunman, also named Connor Betts, who is accused of carrying out a mass shooting in Dayton, Ohio, hours after the El Paso massacre.
This undated photo provided by the Dayton Police Department shows Connor Betts. The 24-year-old masked gunman in body armour opened fire early Sunday, Aug. 4, 2019, in a popular entertainment district in Dayton, Ohio, killing several people, including his sister, and wounding dozens before he was quickly slain by police, officials said. (Dayton Police Department via AP)
“I’m not him,” Betts said in a post on Facebook. “So please stop misidentifying me for him. I’m no way shape or form associated.” He did not respond to a request for comment.
Death toll rises in Texas Walmart mass shooting
El Paso shopper, recently arrived from Mexico, took a bullet for his wife
Massacre in El Paso probed as domestic terror case
After shooting massacres, Trump condemns white supremacy, bigotry
Dayton shooter had troubled past, threatening fellow students with ‘hit list’
With misinformation and rumours spreading unchecked through social media, cases of mistaken identity have become all to common in mass shootings.
A Florida teenager who shares his name with Nikolas Cruz, the suspect in the killing of 17 students and staff at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, wants to change his name, his mother told the Sun Sentinel newspaper.
She said he is tired of people recoiling at the sound of his name and that he is no longer proud of it.
A man who shared a name with James Holmes, who killed 12 people in an Aurora, Colorado movie theater in 2012, received similar threats.
Following the 2013 mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, law enforcement wrongly identified Ryan Lanza as the gunman. By the time police said the shooter was actually Adam Lanza, Ryan’s younger brother, Ryan’s picture had been shared thousands of times online.
On Saturday, Crusius and Toulmin had planned on spending quality time together, away from their children. Suddenly, the pair started to receive hundreds of messages on Facebook.
“People were saying that we should die, that our children should die,” a shaken Toulmin told Reuters on Monday. “Then we turned on the news and we’re just dumbfounded.”
Crusius, who was not immediately available for comment, took to Facebook to clear himself.
“Whoa guys!!! I am not the guy you think your looking for!,” Crusius said in a post on Saturday. “I have never been to Texas and look nothing like the guy!!!”
But the threats haven’t stopped since Saturday, said Toulmin.
The death threats prompted the family to call local authorities for protection. Police have been patrolling around their home, Toulmin said.
http://torontosun.com/news/crime/im...-names-as-texas-ohio-shooters-attacked-online

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
And I'm sure that the "bad" guys will follow the rules and get rid of their guns. Wow, talk about dreaming! Honestly, are people that stupid? Really?
If there are a lot fewer guns about, there are fewer gun crimes in the jurisdiction. That is true all over the World. That is what the statistics from the rest of the planet say. Stabbing deaths, other types of murder and mayhem are the same around the world but gun deaths go down when you take away the guns ... The UK and Australia are prime exampkes. We are in a way, as well.

The United States is suffering from a cross between mass insanity and mass stupidity. There are 100 gun deaths there a day. They have 9x our population. Our yearly gun murder total in Canada accounts for only three day's worth of US shootings.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The only people who can be deprived of their Second Amendment right to pack heat are felons currently incarcerated and those who have been judicially declared non compos mentis.

Age restrictions, criminal history restrictions, and mental health restrictions are unConstitutional.

That's right, let's get hard-core. The rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights are fundamental. They apply to everyone. Children, nuts, and criminals have all the rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights.

The Second Amendment is no different from the First, the Fourth, or the Fifth.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
The only people who can be deprived of their Second Amendment right to pack heat are felons currently incarcerated and those who have been judicially declared non compos mentis.

Age restrictions, criminal history restrictions, and mental health restrictions are unConstitutional.

That's right, let's get hard-core. The rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights are fundamental. They apply to everyone. Children, nuts, and criminals have all the rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights.

After asking many people who were pro-gun about the mentally ill, and seeing their non-answers about what to do with them v. guns, I can only agree with this.

The US won't give up their guns because they need them as their security blankets against the world, cause the world is out to get them.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
After asking many people who were pro-gun about the mentally ill, and seeing their non-answers about what to do with them v. guns, I can only agree with this.
The US won't give up their guns because they need them as their security blankets against the world, cause the world is out to get them.
I keep mine around because Americans are out to get me.

Also because if they're in my hands, they're safe.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
There is no gun control solution for America.

It would be nice to see some common sense regulations but the problem is a complex social one.

I see no way out and nothing but escalation.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
There is no gun control solution for America.
It would be nice to see some common sense regulations but the problem is a complex social one.
I see no way out and nothing but escalation.
Uh-oh. I better go order 1000 rounds online with no security check of any kind (except to make sure my credit card is valid).

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
More guns is always the answer.

The NRA have done an amazing job down there.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Its like a cancer that defends itself from treatment.

Its not going to be regulated out of existence

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC

I've read the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution and it seems to me the Right to Bear Arms was aimed specifically at the right to form Citizen's Militias as a bulwark against tyranny when it was devised in the 18th Century. Citizen Militias are in fact entities that strictly control access to armories and have defined rules of engagement and command structure.

Imho it was transformed into a universal right to have any type of weaponry in your possession by a well organized gun lobby and sympathetic judicial interpretations. Even within this interpretation there is sufficient jurisprudence on the definitions of 'rights' to limit access to that which is consistent with a commensurate level of responsibility and the common good. For instance the right of free expression does not extend to yelling 'Fire' in crowded theatre for 'kicks'.

The same should apply for common sense gun regulation which would include limits of magazine size, armour piercing or military grade ammunition, restrictions on ownership by mentally ill or those who have made violent threats, bans bump stocks and perhaps even semiautomatic fire or those instruments devised to be 'shot from the hip' as scatter shots.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I've read the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution and it seems to me the Right to Bear Arms was aimed specifically at the right to form Citizen's Militias as a bulwark against tyranny when it was devised in the 18th Century. Citizen Militias are in fact entities that strictly control access to armories and have defined rules of engagement and command structure.
Imho it was transformed into a universal right to have any type of weaponry in your possession by a well organized gun lobby and sympathetic judicial interpretations. Even within this interpretation there is sufficient jurisprudence on the definitions of 'rights' to limit access to that which is consistent with a commensurate level of responsibility and the common good. For instance the right of free expression does not extend to yelling 'Fire' in crowded theatre for 'kicks'.
The same should apply for common sense gun regulation which would include limits of magazine size, armour piercing or military grade ammunition, restrictions on ownership by mentally ill or those who have made violent threats, bans bump stocks.
Too bad you haven't read the reams of paper that have been written interpreting and arguing about the interpretations of the text. If you had, your opinion might be worth something.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Too bad you haven't read the reams of paper that have been written interpreting and arguing about the interpretations of the text. If you had, your opinion might be worth something.

When the 2nd Amendment was passed perhaps 90+% of the population lived in rural areas where they had to protect livestock, hunt for food, had no police force to rely on for home defense or to ward off predators. Quite frankly a lot of the that jurisprudence in the early years dealt with a situation where limiting the right to fire arms wasn't even a matter of debate.. firearms were deemed a practical necessity. This situation seems to be a case where Constitutional amendments meant for one thing have been reformulated for something completely different from that which they were intended. In any case no 'right' is free of a commensurate 'responsibility' not use it to infringe on the rights and safety of others.

Last edited: