Oct 26, 2009
'Not me': Man with similar name mistaken as accused in van attack
Canadian Press
More from Canadian Press
Published:
April 25, 2018
Updated:
April 25, 2018 4:18 PM EDT
Alek Minassian, 25, of Richmond Hill, is charged in the deadly van massacre on Yonge St. in Toronto.LinkedIn
It was a series of unfortunate events that led to the mixup, and Alex Minassian has spent the last 24 hours trying to set the record straight — he’s not the driver of a van that mowed down pedestrians on a busy Toronto street.
Minassian, 24, shares a last name with 25-year-old Alek Minassian, who is now charged with 10 counts of murder in connection with the incident, which took place Monday afternoon on a busy street in north Toronto. Alek Minassian is also facing 13 counts of attempted murder.
Both men are from Richmond Hill.
Shortly after the van attack, Alex Minassian said he was contacted by several American news outlets that assumed he was the van driver police had taken in to custody.
The Facebook profile photo of Alex Minassian.
His Facebook profile was posted on several social media sites including Reddit, 4Chan and Twitter, naming him as the suspect in the tragedy. But that one different letter was important to Alex Minassian — who said he is not related to the alleged killer and that Minassian is a common name in Armenia and Iran.
NBC first contacted him and his family, he said. Then other news agencies followed. His family was worried, he said.
“They knew I was innocent, but feared the negative backlash,” he said.
It didn’t help that later in the afternoon Facebook shut down Alek Minassian’s profile, leaving just Alex Minassian from Richmond Hill, Ont., on the social media site.
By 5 p.m., Alex Minassian had had enough.
“Not me. No connection. NBC, ABC, CBC, stop harassing my friends and family,” he wrote in a public Facebook post that received thousands of likes and dozens of messages of support.
But he also received about 150 messages from members of the public who thought he was the man behind the attack.
“For the most part, the mistaken identities and negative reactions have been asking me ‘why,”‘ he said. “People are just looking for answers.”
At 8 p.m., police Chief Mark Saunders held a news conference announcing the name of the man arrested as Alex Minassian. Reporters, noticing the different first name, asked Saunders on live TV spell the suspect’s first name. A-L-E-X, Saunders responded.
“I was shocked,” said Alex Minassian, who was watching the news conference live with his family.
Just minutes later, Toronto Police corrected the chief, saying in a tweet that the name of the man in custody was in fact Alek Minassian.
“I hold no ill will towards Saunders, but I do wish they’d take more care before announcing the names of suspects,” Alex Minassian said.
Alek Minassian: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | News & Information
‘Not me’: Man with similar name mistaken as accused in van attack | Toronto Sun

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
The whole issue around publishing names and faces of these killers needs a revisit.

The fame is probably what is motivating them. They know they can at least get famous.

OpposingDigit

Electoral Member
Aug 27, 2017
The final reasons for the attack is in ......

The guy was a "Moderate Rebel" like the guys in Syria, and not really a terrorist.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The whole issue around publishing names and faces of these killers needs a revisit.

The fame is probably what is motivating them. They know they can at least get famous.

That is always a possibility.But where do you Dawn the line? I think most people would want to know the name of a pedophile arrested in their neighbourhood.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's awesome they don't use race to describe a criminal on the loose.

I'm suppose to pick out which race the guy wearing jeans and a blue shirt wielding a weapon is out of 4 races and 30 sub groups.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Infamous might be a better term!

Basically I believe there is nothing you can do to stop this shit- the only suggestion I can make is to be more vigilant than the next person and hopefully it will happen to him instead of you! It comes under the heading, "SHIT HAPPENS".

Last edited:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
It's awesome they don't use race to describe a criminal on the loose.

I'm suppose to pick out which race the guy wearing jeans and a blue shirt wielding a weapon is out of 4 races and 30 sub groups.

Next time some Eastern Eurpopean is on the lamb, we'll have to post: "Be on the lookout for an armed and dangerous Bohunk!"

OpposingDigit

Electoral Member
Aug 27, 2017
The Pentagon Is Making a Ray Gun to Stop Truck Attacks
By Patrick Tucker
April 24, 2018
https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2018/04/pentagon-making-ray-gun-stop-truck-attacks/147702

A device that resembles an old phonograph may soon be used to jam and shut down vehicles like the one that killed 10 people in Toronto.

The van driver who killed 10 Toronto pedestrians on Monday showed that a terror technique that ISIS pioneered in Iraq and Syria in 2015 remains terrifyingly effective against unsuspecting urban populations. But the U.S. military is working on a new weapon to stop vehicle-born terrorist threats, one that could help police departments as well.

The Defense Department’s Joint Non-Lethal Weapons Program, or JNLWD, is pushing ahead with a new direct energy weapon that uses high-powered microwaves to stop cars in their tracks without damaging the vehicle, its driver, or anyone else.

The jammer works by targeting the car’s engine control unit causing it to reboot over and over, stalling the engine. Like an invisible hand, the microwaves hold the car in place. “Anything that has electronics on it, these high-powered microwaves will affect,” David Law, who leads JNLWD’s technology division, said in March. “As long as the [radio] is on, it holds the vehicle stopped.”