Companies are Failing to Integrate Millennials Into Their Workplaces: HRPA Report

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
The conclusion is only partially correct. The work environment is in a constant state of change. This much is true.

What is incorrect is the statement "The rest of us are wrong for clinging...etc."

Older generations were not wrong. The earlier work environment, called harsher by the author, was, in some workplaces, the norm. But it was not that way in all places.

Work environments are constantly changing. What was accepted a few years ago - smoking, or having a few drinks over lunch for example - were perfectly normal and certainly not wrong. The work environment changed.

Listening to younger workers complain will go on forever. The complaints will change, but the bittching will continue.

Finally, what is it about some people who find it necessary to blame, fault or point fingers?

People used to get shot in the street for angering others. Workers used to be beaten and work every day. Let's find fault with someone rather than accept the fact that all work environments are in a constant state of change.

Last edited:

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Companies are Failing to Integrate Millennials Into Their Workplaces: HRPA Report

Can you spell: "Remedial Mathematics"?

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Ive had some hard *** bosses before especially when i was a surveyor. I respected them because they were effective and had no problem showing you up when needed. Now that im in a more "cushier" job its like night and day and everyone gets along. Mind you i was raised working in machine shops since i was 10 so my work ethic was never in doubt.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
The evolution of the work environment will continue until aliens kill us off.

I just wish writers like him would actually take some time to learn about their assignments. I've no doubt that workplaces in the not too distant future will be in your den or garage (where possible). Employers will be expected, by law, to pay to get 'at home' workspaces built. Companies will pay for any necessary equipment. You will not 'be forced' to go to school, an office or other workplace.

'Hey, do you know that they actually used to force children into rooms far from their houses to learn as a group? They could be punished for misbehaving or not doing homework. Homework was extra stuff they took home to finish!'

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
There are already bldgs that companies or individuals rent rather than drive to a regular worksite. They have cubicals, coffee bars and restaurants.

In some instances, this can be good for the employer. Cheaper, no bldg, no taxes, parking, utilities, etc.

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Unfortunately when one generation is given more than their fair share it is up to somebody to take up the slack. Unemployed with enough money to persue a hobby might be as good as it gets for the middle class unless something dramatic like all the interest given to the EU banks by fair or foul means could be wiped off the books as that was a war of independence, the coup happened in 1913 with the creation of the FED, even an admission by the President later has not been able to reverse that decision. Flossy would probably have that number on the tip of his fingers.

I imagine it's very difficult to intigrate into work environment because of the distance between North America and Asia. The economy is depressing.
Might I suggest something in your tea from the American Southwest as a permanent cure for that. Most graduate in less than 3 years but that is averaged out by the ones who refuse to take the final exams and prefer to spend a few years in each of the 3 different levels. 'Above expert' people don't get along well with others as well as they do with tools and machines. Go a bit further south if you need something more powerful, the Amazon Pharmacy after Columbia

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
I have always have had issues with the lack of mentoring and opportunities for the youth in companies
What I have detailed is these old thinkers never move over,holding onto positions forever and always;no wonder youth does not commit
A intelligent leader knows the importance of replacement of young minds
Unfortunately we have few intelligent leaders

Companies,agencies,public boards,etc

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I have always have had issues with the lack of mentoring and opportunities for the youth in companies
What I have detailed is these old thinkers never move over,holding onto positions forever and always;no wonder youth does not commit

So... have you moved over to be replaced or you are not at that age yet? Just curious.

If the retirement age is about 65 years that does not seem like a good idea to step aside and take a demotion before you get that age.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
So... have you moved over to be replaced or you are not at that age yet? Just curious.

If the retirement age is about 65 years that does not seem like a good idea to step aside and take a demotion before you get that age.
Good point
I am a big believer ,mentoring is a good thing
I still work, but work less then ever,but leave opportunities for the younger generation to acquire experience and take advantage of opportunities
The conservative boards in my communities have had a he same people for 20 plus years sitting at n the executive

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario

That's flat out stupid. Not misguided. Not misunderstood. Just stupid. Businesses have existed for thousands of years. If younger workers had no opportunities within a company, or old thinkers never moved over, then these businesses would cease to exist.

There are many intelligent thinkers. Stupid senior managers or owners watch their businesses crumble, usually due to a lack of critical thinking skills.

Every generation thinks that they are ready to take the reins, well before their abilities or skill sets have developed. Part of a manager's job is to groom future managers and weed out the dullards. Younger workers don't like to be told that they are not ready. Some whine and bittch, which in and of itself means that they are not ready.

Successful companies wish to remain that way. They develop staff and promote according to a number of important criteria - knowledge of the job is not usually in the top three as a reason to promote.

Performance under stress, the ability to identify and mentor superior employees, the ability to effectively problem solve and conceptualize future requirements makes effective management.

Being able to fill out forms, use software or be popular around the water cooler is not important.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
That's flat out stupid. Not misguided. Not misunderstood. Just stupid. Businesses have existed for thousands of years. If younger workers had no opportunities within a company, or old thinkers never moved over, then these businesses would cease to exist.

There are many intelligent thinkers. Stupid senior managers or owners watch their businesses crumble, usually due to a lack of critical thinking skills.

Every generation thinks that they are ready to take the reins, well before their abilities or skill sets have developed. Part of a manager's job is to groom future managers and weed out the dullards. Younger workers don't like to be told that they are not ready. Some whine and bittch, which in and of itself means that they are not ready.

Successful companies wish to remain that way. They develop staff and promote according to a number of important criteria - knowledge of the job is not usually in the top three as a reason to promote.

Performance under stress, the ability to identify and mentor superior employees, the ability to effectively problem solve and conceptualize future requirements makes effective management.

Being able to fill out forms, use software or be popular around the water cooler is not important.
Good to know

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
"The Millennial Generation was born between 1977 and 1998. They are 75 million strong in size and were raised by “helicopter parents,” who doted on them, giving them an ample supply of attention and validation. Because they were heralded with high expectations, Millennials tend to display an abundance of self-confidence and believe they are highly valuable to any organization from day one. They are extremely focused on developing themselves and thrive on learning new job skills, always setting new challenges to achieve. They are also the “can do” generation, never worrying about failure, for they see themselves as running the world and work environments.

Unlike other generations, the Millennials are overly connected to their parents. As they move through their twenties, they still speak to their parents frequently and turn to their parents for personal and career advice. Some are still even living at home, not uncomfortable with the arrangement.

Organizations must remember the parent involvement factor when dealing with this group. These parents are still micro-managing their children’s careers and personal lives.

When it comes to work life balance, Gen Y is not willing to give up their lifestyle for a career. They have traveled extensively and value having flexibility in their daily lives. They choose careers that allow them to live the life they desire, busy with after-work activities, including philanthropic involvement. Multitasking is their way of life. This generation grew up with little unstructured time as their parents carefully selected their life choices. The result of their minimal “down time” is that they are highly comfortable going from activity to activity in their adult world. When their workday ends, Millennials charge out into gyms, volunteer positions, classes and social events.

Millennials are team-oriented, banding together to socialize in groups. In school, this generation was taught lessons using a cooperative learning style. Therefore, they feel comfortable working on teams and want to make friends with the people at work. They believe that a team can accomplish more and create a better end result. They also grew up in a multi-cultural world which enables them to work well on a team with diverse co-workers. They communicate in snippets through instant messaging, texting, Facebook and e-mail. Quick and efficient communication is the way Millennials choose to interact, not necessarily face-to-face. They are typically unaware of their non-verbal cues. As a result, this generation tends to have more miscommunications between friends, co-workers and bosses. They forget that words only account for a small part of the communication. Additionally, spending time on the phone is not their number one choice.

Of all of the talents that Millennials bring to the workplace, being technologically savvy is their greatest skill contribution. They are constantly connected as they listen to their iPods or send text messages, all while working on a critical project. Social media is at the heart of their world. This allows them to connect with co-workers and friends around the world at great speed. The electronic capabilities of Gen Y are extraordinary. On a recent twitter chat, several Millennials participated at lightning rod speed, sharing their thoughts: One even commented: “Social Media has expanded my network tremendously. More people to talk and learn from.”

Another characteristic of the Millennials is their need for constant feedback and in particular, praise. They were reassured daily of their achievements and were recognized with stars and trophies for those successes. Whether or not the trophy was deserved for each individual, the entire team received the positive reward. It is a generation that needs to continue feeling valuable, while adding their opinions and ideas to every company decision. They want to be heard. In giving critical feedback, managers will need to first compliment Millennials before they will listen to any criticism. They also have little patience for ambiguity, so directions during feedback sessions must be clear and specific. Organizations will be more successful in delivering performance milestones on a more frequent basis than once a year. Once a week might do the trick. The feedback sessions must be interactive, so that the Millennial is presented the opportunity to share their feelings and ideas. Brainstorming together could be a very effective technique."

The article continues with a list of tips on how to integrate them into the system which includes providing Nerf ball battles, alcohol free happy hours and scavenger hunts - so much for getting business done. Anyway more..............................

Characteristics of Millenials in the Workplace

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Millenials also fail in my opinion to network enough. Im talking about more than putting yourself on Linkedin.. You need to go to industry meetings that are open to student, go to yearly conferences dealing with your industry and making your face and name more recognizable to the big wigs....

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Similar to producing Lysol.

Being involed in social media doesnt mean the same as being involved in the actual community...

Yes but fuel consumption is down and carbon credits are earned. You do want Canada to grow don't you? Distance partying has saved my life, fuk the fat ugly community.
this is easier and I can repurpose the brain cells not consumed by driving a motor vehicles to my theraphy sessions. They have promised swpelling improvment.

I;ve actually been involved in the production of millenials.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
You gotta get out there because you never know who you will meet.

For example i take spanish classes on the weekend and one of my fellow students is a supervisor of another department in the smelter complex i work at.

He knows my name what im doing and he even said that he will keep and ear and eye out for me, and that he was happy to see someone of my age still strive for betterment and that those are the people the company likes to promote.