Northeast Corridor braces for 'potentially historic' snowstorm

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
It's 12 degrees here in Vancouver-by-the-Sea and after lunch I'm going for a one hour bicycle ride just like I did yesterday when it was 14 degrees.

Shorts, tee shirt, light sweater and boat shoes.

And sunglasses of course must have sunglasses.
I hope you're not like those geezers in sun city and let your sack hang out the side of your shorts hate it when I see that kind of thing

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I see on the toob NYC has as much snow as I do and it's just as slushy. I hate slushy.

ooOOoo the National Guard is ready to get trucks stuck and shoot snowflakes.

The Mass Natl Guard is set up on over passes. Driving ban goes into effect at midnight. Anyone caught on road gets a car full of led.

Merica.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The Mass Natl Guard is set up on over passes. Driving ban goes into effect at midnight. Anyone caught on road gets a car full of led.

Merica.
I'm not sure a 'hammer' is your best option for surviving a blizzard.
Except if you have a skidoo and then you probably .

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

Merica.

I thought they were out checking tire pressure. What a difference 1 psi can make! ;-)

My area is forecast to get 30-45 cm, and sustained winds of 90-100 km/hr. Someone at work today was saying some people were calling it the next white Juan :roll: White Juan dropped 92 cm where I lived at the time!

That's east coast winter for ya.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I thought they were out checking tire pressure. What a difference 1 psi can make! ;-)
You will have some kind of grin going if you ever drive with a set of tire-chains on. (they are a bitch to put on and that is why you should put them on before you are stuck)

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Its funny listening to the TV and those who are panicked for a while I lived
in areas where snow was a real problem so was severe cold but everyone
survived. This winter I saw another side of it. Here in the central Okanagan
where I live we don't get too much snow and its not that cold. This year we
got a blast of cold but worse we got two feet of snow all at once. Region
could not cope, roads were plugged and schools closed for at least two days.
Any you are right had loads of bread milk and PB plus steak great to have a
steak snack

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I've never had a snow day in my life.

that is both awesome and terrible.

I wish we were getting a snow day or even just some snow for a day. Can't even head to the mountains and snowshoe.

I remember fondly the snow storm of '96, Langford BC. 4 ft of snow. city shut down.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Its 5 C above and raining here in Vanderhoof. Next month Prince George is scheduled to hold the Canada Winter Games. We have rain and melting snow. The 14 day forecast is for the same weather. Without snow and colder temperatures the Games are going to be pretty green.

The snow has been falling off the roof for the past two days and should all be gone tomorrow. My driveway is snow and ice free. Our temps this week and for the next 10 days are all above freezing. Sometimes living in La La Land has its advantages. :smile:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It was nice. It's the best I've seen. Langford was beautiful. And quiet and white and sparkly.

Go to Whistler for a day.

The snow has been falling off the roof for the past two days and should all be gone tomorrow. My driveway is snow and ice free. Our temps this week and for the next 10 days are all above freezing. Sometimes living in La La Land has its advantages. :smile:

Sometimes....;)

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
The Northeast has endured several severe Noreasters in recent years and should be fully prepared for any contingency. Let's hope all preventive and safety efforts are fully coordinated and that any damage is minimized.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Go to Whistler for a day.

Sometimes....;)

All together now............always look on the bright side of life. LOL!

The Northeast has endured several severe Noreasters in recent years and should be fully prepared for any contingency. Let's hope all preventive and safety efforts are fully coordinated and that any damage is minimized.

It appears that anything that could be done has been done, gopher. But when one is dealing with Mother Nature - and a very pissed off mother at that, it is difficult to prepare for all the contingencies. Hope all affected fare well.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The world must be running pretty smooth for a snowstorm to get 24/7 coverage for about 4 days straight.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
National Geographic: North Eastern Blizzard indicative of climate change

Blizzard of Nor'Easters No Surprise, Thanks to Climate Change

More extreme storms are expected to fall on the Northeast as climate changes.

TV meteorologists may be calling it Winter Storm Juno, but climate scientists have a different name for the "once-in-a-century" blizzard that's expected to blanket the U.S. East Coast from New Jersey to Maine starting on Monday.

They call it completely predictable.

"Big snowfall, big rainstorms, we've been saying this for years," says climate scientist Don Wuebbles of the University of Illinois in Urbana. "More very large events becoming more common is what you would expect with climate change, particularly in the Northeast."

The Northeast is the big winner in the "extreme precipitation" sweepstakes dealt out by global warming, with the region seeing the biggest uptick in the severity of the most severe blizzards or rainstorms across the United States.

Amid canceled flights and closed schools, snow with accumulations of 10 to 36 inches (25 to 91 centimeters) was expected to strike a 250-mile-long (400-kilometer) stretch of the East Coast, in a day-long onslaught accompanied by 75-mile-per-hour (121-kilometer) howling winds.

Going to Extremes

Such heavy storms have increased by more than 70 percent in the past six decades in the Northeast, according to the 2014 National Climate Assessment report. Called extreme precipitation, these are the top one percent of blizzards or rainstorms that pack the heftiest punch, threatening sudden floods or paralyzing snowdrifts. The trend has hit nationwide, but with less impact in drier regions such as the Southwest, which has seen only a 5 percent increase in such events.

These storms result from a paradox of global warming in which warmer air temperatures mean more moisture is stuffed into clouds. That's why when it rains—or snows—it pours harder than ever out of those overstuffed skies.

Examples abound of such storms. Aided by the lake effect, Buffalo, New York, saw about six feet (1.8 meters) of snow fall over a few days in November 2014. The Blizzard of 2013, which Monday's storm resembles, according to meteorologist Jeff Masters, dropped almost 25 inches (64 centimeters) of snow on Boston. A 2011 snowstorm knocked out power for thousands of people for ten days in the Northeast just before Halloween.

In New York City, where Monday's storm is expected to break snowfall records, five of the ten biggest blizzards since 1869 have come since 2003.

Climate Conundrum

"We can't make too big a deal of every single storm and say it is caused by climate change," Wuebbles says. "But what we are seeing today is completely typical of what you would expect to see in a warming climate."

Extreme precipitation has increased across the United States in recent decades, but nowhere as much as in the humid Northeast. Overall precipitation has increased by approximately five inches (12.7 centimeters) since 1895 across the region, a more than 10 percent increase, the 2014 National Climate Assessment report says.

And although temperatures have increased by almost 2°F (1.11°C) in that time, those states still see plenty of winter days around the freezing point, when snow falls most heavily.

So when warm, wet clouds meet cold Canadian winds over the Northeast, a storm like Monday's is the result, with National Weather Service weather models "insisting that this storm will evolve into a high impact winter storm/blizzard."

Blizzard of Nor'Easters No Surprise, Thanks to Climate Change

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Re: National Geographic: North Eastern Blizzard indicative of climate change

It changed all right. From no snow to snow in winter of all things.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Re: National Geographic: North Eastern Blizzard indicative of climate change