Teacher claims she was fired for standing up for student with special needs

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I suspect there is a whole bunch more than this one incident. It is not easy to fire a teacher in BC. WHich is why we have so many poor ones.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I suspect there is a whole bunch more than this one incident. It is not easy to fire a teacher in BC. WHich is why we have so many poor ones.

It's the province of British Columbia that can change this by testing the teachers every five years and the ones that don't measure up can go back to school

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Is this based upon your personal observations?

Yes, I work in government. We have policies regarding speaking publicly. Practically every department...municipal, provincial and federal have these. Unions help get around these but one must let the union do the talking.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm for effective and efficient use of taxpayers dollars. That's what pisses off JLM. He feels entitled to his entitlements.

H.T.F. do you know what pisses me off, dweeb? Go climb back in your hole. I guess you don't figure you're entitled to your entitlements, Einstein!

Hey Goober- Good to see you are evening things up with a little sanity! -:)

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Yes, I work in government. We have policies regarding speaking publicly. Practically every department...municipal, provincial and federal have these. Unions help get around these but one must let the union do the talking.

She didn't speak "publicly" about it till AFTER she was fired. Try again junior. Obviously Sal knows the Labour laws a hell of a lot better than you do.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I guess you don't figure you're entitled to your entitlements, Einstein!

No. I don't believe anybody should be entitled to any government handout. Fiscal responsibility should be the first priority. Social programs come once the budget is balance and priorities set. I understand that this stance bothers some people on the government *** but I won't lose any sleep over their pissiness.

She didn't speak "publicly" about it till AFTER she was fired. Try again junior. Obviously Sal knows the Labour laws a hell of a lot better than you do.

Tsk tsk tsk Gerry. Haven't you learned yet not to question me?

From the article..

"The Vancouver School Board can't discuss the matter but an administrators' report described Debeck's conduct as "insolent and insubordinate."
"Debeck has continued to communicate in a manner which undermines public confidence in the school system."

Thanks for your input though...entertaining as usual.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

From the article..

"The Vancouver School Board can't discuss the matter but an administrators' report described Debeck's conduct as "insolent and insubordinate."
"Debeck has continued to communicate in a manner which undermines public confidence in the school system."

It is so vague as to mean nothing. tsk tsk tsk cannuck, still shouting airie farie crap as if it was fact.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It is so vague as to mean nothing. tsk tsk tsk cannuck, still shouting airie farie crap as if it was fact.

Well, I guess some people would believe she could have been undermining public confidence by not speaking publicly although It isn't really vague at all. You really should run along Gerry. You've only just started and you're already floundering.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Well, I guess some people would believe she could have been undermining public confidence by not speaking publicly although It isn't really vague at all. You really should run along Gerry. You've only just started and you're already floundering.

It's not me making stuff up, again, it's you, as usual.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It's not me making stuff up, again, it's you, as usual.

Come now Gerry. You've made the claim that the woman went public after she was fired. I think it's pretty clear who is making things up given that your view (unlike mine) is contradicted by statements made by the school board. But hey... You keep making this about me if it helps you hide your embarrassment. I'm used to that behaviour from you. As a tip, it might help if you read and understood what was said in OPs before you started criticizing people when they comment on said OP

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Come now Gerry. You've made the claim that the woman went public after she was fired. I think it's pretty clear who is making things up given that your view (unlike mine) is contradicted by statements made by the school board. But hey... You keep making this about me if it helps you hide your embarrassment. I'm used to that behaviour from you. As a tip, it might help if you read and understood what was said in OPs before you started criticizing people when they comment on said OP

:roll:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I think the prerequisite for firing a teacher in B.C. is they have to diddle a student.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
No. I don't believe anybody should be entitled to any government handout. Thanks for your input though...entertaining as usual.

W.T.F. do you think these Gov't "handouts" come from in the first place? Of course when you reach 65 or younger you won't be taking the O.A.P. or the C.P.P.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Why then have a Forum. Guess you are always right?

From the article..

Not much info there from the SB, but then again quick to arrive at a conclusion, erroneous as it often is, based on lack of info, is your standard mode. Rather tiring, you clearly lack the ability to comprehend and adapt to facts on the ground. AKA - stuck in a rut.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
yes, which is why I am wondering about her "story".

then too we have E.A. with high needs kids

what happened in the classroom first, and why would two administrators come down and start dragging the kid away, what she is claiming doesn't quite seem right...could be of course but, seems a bit sketchy

They don't just fire someone for mouthing off....they've got something on her.

That is an old modus operandi - if you can't prove or don't like one "infraction" hit him twice as hard for one you can prove! -:)

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Why then have a Forum. Guess you are always right?.

Yes, it helps when you refrain from commenting on things you know nothing about. For example, I know nothing about climate change so I avoid those threads and I certainly wouldn't question somebody's scientific evidence pro or con. Some folks should follow my example don't you think?