UN calls Canada’s pullout from drought fighting convention ‘regrettable’

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I suppose that all depends on how one goes about defining the cause-du-jour and applies the math to come up with this number... Fact is; based on the running definition the issue of food security will never be solved (practically speaking).

So, what's the point in having a UN body formed to address this issue
False dichotomy. There are a whole sheaf of outcomes between "solved" and "unsolved." No problem is ever solved. But problems can be better or worse managed.

- that's right, it's another convenient opportunity to pry more money from the pockets of member nations to fund this pseudo-governmental body
That's a fair point. It's in the nature of organisations to try to protect themselves and increase their power. That's generally only loosely related to whether increasing the organisation's power in any given direction is a good idea.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Re: World 195 - Canada 1

Any time the UN does something we should always do the 180 deg. of it. Good on you Canadian guvmint.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Just the UN at this point
Those are all agencies of the UN. Just as Industry Canada and Revenue Canada and all the other Whatever Canadas are part of the Canadian government. So it's virtually meaningless to say "I hate the Canadian government, but I don't have any particular problem with Industry Canada."

I suspect that your actual problem is with the General Assembly and the Security Council. The GA is powerless by design, and the SC is almost always powerless because of the veto. It's hard to blame an organisation for being ineffective and inefficient when it was designed to be ineffective and inefficient.

Though I certainly agree that a few hard-eyed, humourless auditors would do the UN a world of good.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

Any time the UN does something we should always do the 180 deg. of it. Good on you Canadian guvmint.
Should we deliberately assign spectrum to ensure maximum interference between the U.S., Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean countries?

Should we deliberately violate ICAO standards and endanger flights to show what big balls we have?

Should we ignore UN conventions on the status and treatment of embassies?

Should we resist WHO efforts to eradicate epidemic diseases and make sure that immigrants and visitors to the U.S. and Canada are as sick and contagious as possible?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007

Should we deliberately assign spectrum to ensure maximum interference between the U.S., Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean countries?

Should we deliberately violate ICAO standards and endanger flights to show what big balls we have?

Should we ignore UN conventions on the status and treatment of embassies?

Should we resist WHO efforts to eradicate epidemic diseases and make sure that immigrants and visitors to the U.S. and Canada are as sick and contagious as possible?
Yes, we should follow our rules, if the UN comes up with rules that follow our example great, but we should not follow lock-step with the dictator-led, tyranny-appeasing UN.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

Yes, we should follow our rules, if the UN comes up with rules that follow our example great, but we should not follow lock-step with the dictator-led, tyranny-appeasing UN.
All of the things I mentioned are UN rules, not "our" rules.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The UN thinks it's a government.

Who did you vote for?

The process includes participations from 60 UN agencies, funds and
programmes, and involves almost 100 national consultations in Member States,
thematic discussions, surveys and online survey ‘My World’ where people are
asked, “What kind of World do you Want?”

Thousands of people have logged into the related website,
WorldWeWant2015.org, which currently has more than 5,700 suggested priorities
ranging from ‘financial inclusion’ to ‘an honest and responsive government’ and
youth empowerment.

“We are reinventing the way decisions will be made at the global level,” said
Olav Kjørven, Director of the Bureau for Development Policy at the UN
Development Programme (UNDP). He is also a co-chair of a UN Task Team
working on a future development agenda, referred to as “the post-2015 agenda.”

“People want to have a say in determining what kind of world they are going
to live in and we are providing that opportunity by using digital media as well
as door-to-door interviewers,” Mr. Kjørven added in a statement.

Whose Government?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The UN

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Those are all agencies of the UN.

Fine, then they're all as useful as tits on a bull.

I suspect that your actual problem is with the General Assembly and the Security Council. The GA is powerless by design, and the SC is almost always powerless because of the veto. It's hard to blame an organisation for being ineffective and inefficient when it was designed to be ineffective and inefficient.

No.. My actual problem is that the entire organization is rotten to the core - whether it's the food for oil fiasco or the fraudulent IPCC department that is no more than a propaganda wing (that would make Goebbels proud), the entire body is a blight on everything that it suggests that they stand for.

+ 10 Million

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007

All of the things I mentioned are UN rules, not "our" rules.
I know.

Horse crap. DDT is still used to this day for vector control; in fact it was and still is used by the World Health Organization for vector control.
Horse crap. If we used DDT like we used it here in NA, malaria would be gone from Africa and Asia as it is now gone from NA.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
The great Reform plan was to decentralize the federal government so that provinces can break away from Canada more easily just proves that the federal Conservative government will try to keep that promise.

The big question is at what point does it become treason to break up a country?

Good grief. Grab a brain. Reform was born out of what your wet dream and his successors did to the West.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Mr Belly says it the best....

you can talk about the latest
the latest of your own
these boll weevils
they will rob you of a home
they are looking for a home
the first time I seen a boll weevil
he was sitting on the square
the next time I seen a boll weevil
he had his whole family there
they were looking for a home
they was looking for a home
the farmer he took the boll weevil
put him on the ice
the boll weevil says to the farmer
you treat me mighty nice
and I will have a home
I will have a home
the old man said to the old lady
what do you think of that
these boll weevils got into my brand new stetson hat
and it's full of holes
yeah it's full of holes
alright, yeah it's full of holes
well it's full of holes
yeah it's full of holes
well it's full of holes
alright now this next verse is about myself
and when I'm done I hope you'll sing along with me on
"he's looking for a home"
I said if anybody asks you people
who sang you this song
you tell 'em it's jackie white
he's done been here and gone
he's looking for a home
he's looking for a home
he's looking for a home
he's looking for a home
he's looking for a home
he's looking for a home
he's looking for a home
he's looking for a home
he's looking for a home
he's looking for a home

Mr L. Belly

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Fact is; based on the running definition the issue of food security will never be solved (practically speaking).

So then we should cease to spend any money on pretty much everything if that is your justification for not spending money. Let anarchy rule. I doubt most people would agree with that.

So, what's the point in having a UN body formed to address this issue - that's right, it's another convenient opportunity to pry more money from the pockets of member nations to fund this pseudo-governmental body

So you're a conspiracy theorist. Interesting.

Solar activity is related to global warming too... How come no tax to combat this?

Well, your red herring aside, because solar activity isn't the problem.

They haven't done any good for years.

That you know of. Define "doing good" and perhaps an example to illustrate what you consider doing good.

Horse crap.

It's a demonstrable fact that the UN uses DDT. No amount of denial will change that.

If we used DDT like we used it here in NA, malaria would be gone from Africa and Asia as it is now gone from NA.

Malaria isn't gone from North America, unless you're redefining what constitutes North America by excluding Mexico. What's more, there are DDT resistant strains of mosquito in Africa and Asia. How do you expect to expel mosquitoes that are resistant to DDT, by using DDT?

And really, if you think we shouldn't be doing anything the UN does, then why do you care what the UN does with respect to fighting malaria? Which is it, should we care or not?