Why Don't Canadians Embrace Winter?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Have to admit that cold in the north is better than cold on the coast. This wet cold plays hell with the bones.

just need a different kind of outerwear, and both types of winters are bearable. I've lived in the
lower mainland type winters all of my life, and find it quite moderate, but when I go to a dry very cold
area, I just protect my body a bit better, and am quite comfortable, because ears, fingers and toes can
freeze.

just don't get wet in the southern b.c. winter, wet makes cold.

I can walk for miles in the winter rain, and become too warm, but if I get wet, I get cold, so I don't
get wet, simple.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
We embrace the cold. -30? Hell, let's head north! -35? Bundle the kids up honey, we're gonna build a fort! Clear grandmas farm yard, have a good wrestle with the dogs, lie in a snow bank and stare at the gorgeous sky. Buy a decent set of covies, and embrace the winter.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
everyone must figure out how to deal with 'whatever' climate they live in during either the winter or the
summer.

negative people who choose to hate the cold, won't go out, but the positive ones will, living is living,
and sitting around in the house looking out the window doesn't accomplish much, but at least they are
warm.

We love the outdoors, so we are out there all winter, and summer, have chosen to live in a moderate
climate where the temperature doesn't change all that much from season to season 'compared' to some.

With my labradors I would not want to live in the north, as they love to be in the water summer and
winter, and those winters would be very hard on them in that department, have to be very careful of
their feet, so this moderate winter is good for them, I don't want to have to buy them boots, I love
to watch them bound around and splash through the water, as they did today, and the hunters can take
them with them, as they can swim for the game, and not get too cold.

Not sure if I would do as well living on the equator, I would find a way to move, somehow.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
everyone must figure out how to deal with 'whatever' climate they live in during either the winter or the
summer.

negative people who choose to hate the cold, won't go out, but the positive ones will, living is living,
and sitting around in the house looking out the window doesn't accomplish much, but at least they are
warm.

We love the outdoors, so we are out there all winter, and summer, have chosen to live in a moderate
climate where the temperature doesn't change all that much from season to season 'compared' to some.

Yep, I have to get out for at least an hour or so every day, or I go nuts, even at minus 20C, 3 or 4 days a year.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
-3 here, I hate winter regardless. before I get any (live in the prairies bs) Been there, done that.**** the cold

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Why don't we Canadians embrace winter?

It all boils down to three reasons.

1. It's cold.
2. It's freaking cold.
3. It's really freaking cold.

I'm with petros...

Just waiting for the ice.

I am Bear, built for winter and loving it.

I've been known to sit on the ice in temps hovering around -30, before the 40km/h wind chill factored in, without a care in the world.

For those of us without built in fur coats, we like a nice warm fire.

My parents built a better Bear.

Bigger, stronger, faster. Seems like a perfect spot for this.

BIONIC SOUND EFFECT stereo - YouTube

... The same reason that a condom mfgr doesn't have the words syphilis, chlamydia or gonorrhea on the packaging.

Sex sells and it's difficult to find the sexy in syphilis.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
This thread is guilting me out the door. It is -4 with a light snow. I am going walking later for sure. I haven't been out in it this year at all so am not acclimatized...guess I will be by the end of the week. Normally, I go from my indoor garage to work and right in the door. Didn't really have any snow until this week. First year for putting on snow tires too. Brrrrr. it chills me just thinking about it. I do have two different kinds of snow pants...light and heavy...hm, what to wear.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Minus 1 this morning in Vernon, actually pretty mild for late Dec. so we can't complain. Minus 11 has been about the coldest we had so far, about a week before Xmas. January is the big hurdle to get over and then we have the Groundhog and things will be hunky dory from there on in. Days are getting much longer now too.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The top 3 reasons why someone doesn't wander out and grab a box of domes.

The bar is always warm and a dozen or so cocktails makes for questionable judgement

If you stay in and invite a special someone over, you can enjoy both the warmth and the cocktails without that troublesome questionable judgement rearing it's ugly head. And, most importantly, it involves not going out into the cold.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Best things about winter: no biting bugs, hockey on tv (but not so far this year, alas), no noisy overpowered cars roaring around the neighbourhood, hockey on tv, no JWs peddling their mythology door to door, hockey on tv, sharing a bottle of Chateau Sinister 2011 with Mrs. Sinister in front of a cozy fire, hockey on tv, kids home for Christmas, hockey on tv, and hockey on tv.

LOL Dex................you and me both..........hockey on TV but I also enjoy going to the midget and pee-wee games that are held locally. Are you watching our Canadian juniors? Are you watching the Spengler Cup - lots of hockey on TV, just not the NHL and at this point - who needs them. ;-)

I tried it. I sucked. Still liked it, tho.

I suck at it too, JLM but absolutely love watching it especially our top men's and women's teams. Having tried it myself, I have a much better understanding of the incredible skill it takes to make some of those shots, let alone win against another great team.

We've got some great curling coming up in January and February starting with the Continental Cup on January 10th. A full schedule of curling coverage is available at TSN.

2012-13 TV Schedule

Now I am headed outside for that other great Canadian winter past-time, shoveling snow. :lol:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I do not embrace winter- I work outside a good portion of the day. And when it is windy and cold it not only embraces me it comes with a lazy wind.
Definition of a lazy wind- Does not go around you- goes right thru you.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Warmed up enough here today that I risked my doors freezing shut to get the
road grime off my car/truck/van thing...