Tommy the Commie Mulcair blasts fracking plans in New Brunswick

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I'll wait for the Captains info. later,i'm more worried about getting downed by h2s then dieing from all these thousands upon thousands of fracked wells.
I wear a personal monitor all the time and wont even go on a lease site and especially when their fracking without my monitor out the window of my truck,Deaco valve shut off.

If the duramax takes off at ten thousand rpm it's going into reverse for one last run.
Last thing I want is my truck shutting off and me with out a scott pack.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Very interesting pdf... I will go through it more thoroughly as time permits

And so long as possibility exists, fracking should be banned.

To be completely honest with you. The process scares the hell out of me, and I don't scare easy.

To play devil's advocate, while I agree that certain scenarios are of tremendous concern and require thorough investigation; I'd like to submit that the theories presented (seismic consequences notwithstanding) in the above pdf also apply to everyday activities that we take for granted.

Drilling water wells or excavating foundations of high rises (or even homes) also provide significant opportunity for the identical mechanisms to impact the aquifers, etc..

I'll see if I can hit up one of the geologists that I contract with to determine if they have a pictorial representation of what a cross-section of the different geologic strata/zones might look like (in the prairie region). The properties of each zone will need to be investigated in order to understand the opportunity for viscous materials to 'migrate' between zones, but I suspect, it would require special circumstances for any of the chemicals (toxic or otherwise) to travel upwards and get into contact with the population above.

The physical ability to do so is one question, but I am also curious if the extreme temperatures and pressures might alter the chemical harmless (or possibly for the worse, as well).

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Im wondering why they havent done any cut out tests on that leaking pipeline? In Sask they have 3 times less leaks,probably because of age.
I spent the last 3 weeks on cut outs in SK.

40 years old,it should have been abandoned and replaced 15 years ago.

Sounds like great plains bought some old pipelines and are not doing maintenance?

Watching it on the news right now.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
To play devil's advocate, while I agree that certain scenarios are of tremendous concern and require thorough investigation; I'd like to submit that the theories presented (seismic consequences notwithstanding) in the above pdf also apply to everyday activities that we take for granted.

Drilling water wells or excavating foundations of high rises (or even homes) also provide significant opportunity for the identical mechanisms to impact the aquifers, etc..
I concur. Walmart in Keswick is an excellent example.

Instead of abandoning the project started on a large natural artesian aquifer. They decided to grade a swale and slant drill, then inject foam to shore up the foundation site.

Now the naturally water flow is changed, the natural filtration and collection of water in that basin, are gone.

The water treatment facility in Sutton, caused wells to dry up, before the water could be plumbed to the homes.

Your devils advocacy, is preaching to the choir, lol.

I'll see if I can hit up one of the geologists that I contract with to determine if they have a pictorial representation of what a cross-section of the different geologic strata/zones might look like (in the prairie region). The properties of each zone will need to be investigated in order to understand the opportunity for viscous materials to 'migrate' between zones, but I suspect, it would require special circumstances for any of the chemicals (toxic or otherwise) to travel upwards and get into contact with the population above.

The physical ability to do so is one question, but I am also curious if the extreme temperatures and pressures might alter the chemical harmless (or possibly for the worse, as well).
I look forward to hearing about what you learn.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Here's some information to give you some background as to why people in this part of NB are concerned about fracking.

The PCS potash mine has had water infiltration problems for years. They pull a b train tractor trailer load of water out of the mine every 10 minutes, 24 hr/day, 7 days a week. ( In order to deal with the water, they started drilling holes to find a place to inject the now salt water, but instead found natural gas.) At any rate, after several years of pumping this water out of the mine, the wells belonging to the people who live above the mine all went dry, and the word of the consultants is that, of course, the water being pumped out of the mine has nothing to do with the fact that people who have had wells for 80 or 100 years suddenly had no water for their farms. None for the cattle, none for bathing.

And the company wouldn't even help fund the community water system, because by doing so, they might be held responsible.

So, the people are somewhat sceptical of promises for protecting the water table, since it seems that the mine can just pump it away with no thought.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Here's some information to give you some background as to why people in this part of NB are concerned about fracking.

The PCS potash mine has had water infiltration problems for years. They pull a b train tractor trailer load of water out of the mine every 10 minutes, 24 hr/day, 7 days a week. ( In order to deal with the water, they started drilling holes to find a place to inject the now salt water, but instead found natural gas.) At any rate, after several years of pumping this water out of the mine, the wells belonging to the people who live above the mine all went dry, and the word of the consultants is that, of course, the water being pumped out of the mine has nothing to do with the fact that people who have had wells for 80 or 100 years suddenly had no water for their farms. None for the cattle, none for bathing.

And the company wouldn't even help fund the community water system, because by doing so, they might be held responsible.

So, the people are somewhat sceptical of promises for protecting the water table, since it seems that the mine can just pump it away with no thought.
Do like I do in SK,buy water at the store or pack it in from Alberta.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I take six 5 gallon bottles back every time,the water tastes like crap from the hat east to Kindersley.
What's so ridiculous about that?
Geeze, so much for the great water out there.

So why don't you answer Ten Penny's question?

Or maybe you can tell us how or better yet, why whole communities that have had no water issues for years, now have to buy water?

You can make all the stupid suggestions you want, to try and assuage your feelings of guilt. But in the end your posts just come off as ignorant.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Geeze, so much for the great water out there.

So why don't you answer Ten Penny's question?

Or maybe you can tell us how or better yet, why whole communities that have had no water issues for years, now have to buy water?

You can make all the stupid suggestions you want, to try and assuage your feelings of guilt. But in the end your posts just come off as ignorant.
They have been buying water ever since it was for sale,if you ever drank the heavy mineralized water in SK you would know why,it was bad long before fracking was here.I wouldnt drink it in Estevan in 1965,I wont drink it now.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
This is the kind of misinformation that you can expect when a neophyte tries to wade into an industry and technology that they have no comprehension of.

Not neophytes, people with an agenda. They are following along the same general lines as the anti logging and anti fish farm crusaders on the west coast over the past 20 years. Their motto is "A lie is as good as the truth if it produces a donation"

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Tommy the Commie? Well, it is about time someone posted a thread with so impartial and fair and impartial an attitude. Forgive me if I don't bother to read the rest of your rant.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Gasland part 1 of 2 - YouTube

Did these guys do a 9-11 vid too?

They have been buying water ever since it was for sale,if you ever drank the heavy mineralized water in SK you would know why,it was bad long before fracking was here.I wouldnt drink it in Estevan in 1965,I wont drink it now.
Farm wells that were dug with a shovel are crappy but there is sweet fossil water through out all the prairies from the rockies to Hudson Bay not that far down into the glacial alluvials. Our gas wells are damn deep. I can see the potential for some issue for gas wells at shallow depths in other locations bur not on the prairie.

Shale gas well cross section from Penn State. They are fracking from 4000ft up to 9000ft below the water.

There is a possibilty the people moving to the countryside and drill water wells are tapping into coal gas already present before fracking came to town.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

How many bottles do you buy for a shower? How many do you need to do a load of laundry?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
How many bottles do you buy for a shower? How many do you need to do a load of laundry?
Drinking water.I do my laundry back home and showers are brutal as the waters very hard.

As for Petros comment on coal gas.....interesting as most areas in question have coal seams underground,anyone who has worked the coal mines knows most underground streams will flow on top of a coal seam as water wont usually go through it unless cracked of faulted.When I was exploration drilling you would allways hit water just before you hit a coal seam.Exposed coal oxidizes,gas is created.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Farm wells that were dug with a shovel are crappy but there is sweet fossil water through out all the prairies from the rockies to Hudson Bay not that far down into the glacial alluvials. Our gas wells are damn deep. I can see the potential for some issue for gas wells at shallow depths in other locations bur not on the prairie.

Shale gas well cross section from Penn State. They are fracking from 4000ft up to 9000ft below the water.

There is a possibilty the people moving to the countryside and drill water wells are tapping into coal gas already present before fracking came to town.

Really great picts Petros.