NDP MP Pat Martin offers thorough, absolute apology to RackNine

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Some people keep voting for Dippers despite their track record of disasters and mismanagement.

With the exception of Ontario, the NDP actually have a pretty good record. Better than the Liberals and Conservatives even.
--

NDP MP's apology fails to head off defamation lawsuit by auto-call firm

Outspoken New Democrat MP Pat Martin gave an unequivocal apology to RackNine Inc., and its CEO Matt Meier Monday, but the mea culpa comes too late to halt a $5-million defamation lawsuit launched against him.

"I wrongfully accused them of being part of conspiracy to commit electoral fraud," Martin told reporters. "I now know that the statements I made insinuating Mr. Meier and RackNine's participation in an electoral fraud conspiracy were wholly and unequivocally false."

But Justin Matthews, a lawyer for Meier and RackNine, said the apology comes too late to stop his client's lawsuit. Severe reputational damage was done by Martin, Matthews said, and the issue will be resolved in court.

"This doesn't resolve the lawsuit," Matthews said. "We demanded an immediate apology."

In a Feb. 23 warning letter to Martin, Matthews said his client was compared to criminals, and called a "goon," a "rascal" and a "sleazy punk" on television and to print reporters. The letter demanded Martin make an immediate and fulsome apology through major media outlets, but none was made until Monday.

Martin made the statements in question on Feb. 23, amid a political firestorm raging over fraudulent automated robocalls made during the 2011 general election. A political operative using the pseudonym "Pierre Poutine" placed robocalls through RackNine's automated calling service, drawing national attention to the firm, which was never itself under investigation.

Martin said Monday that RackNine is not to blame for the robocall scandal. "RackNine provides a legitimate automated call service, similar to services used by many political parties," he said.

Last edited:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
It will be an interesting case to say the least. I wonder if RN has even suffered anything financially, because of what he said.

I think that it will be tough for RN to prove damages, but I'm guessing that their lawyer has some kind of plan.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the PC's help them out there by sending cancellation letters

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I think that it will be tough for RN to prove damages, but I'm guessing that their lawyer has some kind of plan.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the PC's help them out there by sending cancellation letters

I hope a dog and pony show won't sway the judge.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Apologies and get on with the business at hand ... or lie, cheat, steal and deny - and milk it for all it's worth.... Your choice....

Well you can cause a little fiscal strife for a corporation and even apologize for it and all hell breaks loose. But if you cheat Canadians out of $10 billion dollars in order to steal an election, it's not any cause for concern.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
You disagree?

What's classy about making a bunch of slanderous comments then pack-pedaling when someone threatens to sue you. Seems rather unclassy to shoot your mouth off before all the facts are in.

It would be better for the company not to go ahead with the action because when it gets to court they might win but due to the negitive publicity they might lose their business

Better for the mope being sued maybe.

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
What's classy about making a bunch of slanderous comments then pack-pedaling when someone threats to sue you. Seems rather unclassy to shoot your mouth off before all the facts are in.

The apology itself is very respectful to RackNine in light of the situation. You never hear a politician give that much gusto in an apology.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I hope a dog and pony show won't sway the judge.

Evidence is what sways a judge. As to damages to Rack Nine - Why just hunt around the net and see the comments - pretty negative - Mad Mouth Walking jumped on the bandwagon to soon.
Now i am unsure of the present Libel laws but it is apparent that damage was done to the company and owners reputation. Is that not all his lawyer has to prove?
Mad mouth Walking had no evidence to support his statements – when offered the chance to withdraw them – he refused – That will in all probability sink him.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
The apology itself is very respectful to RackNine in light of the situation. You never hear a politician give that much gusto in an apology.

Big F'ing deal. Criminals cry when sentenced. Pedophiles say their sorry.

He shot his mouth off and was taken to task for it.

Nothing classy about it.

If he'd made the apology (which he didn't) before he was threatened with a lawsuit that would be classy.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

HHMMM Let me see PM Harper when apologizing to the First Nations comes to mind. All those great Liberal PM's and not one of them could do that.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
HHMMM Let me see PM Harper when apologizing to the First Nations comes to mind. All those great Liberal PM's and not one of them could do that.

You can thank this guy for Harper even acknowledging First Nations:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
You can thank this guy for Harper even acknowledging First Nations:

Look to the policies from Harper regarding First Nations - Jobs - education - training - accountability.
Also First Nations women were excluded from portions of the CCOR until Harper changed that.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Look to the policies from Harper regarding First Nations - Jobs - education - training - accountability.
Also First Nations women were excluded from portions of the CCOR until Harper changed that.

So you're saying we should congratulate him for a barely satisfactory job?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
So you're saying we should congratulate him for a barely satisfactory job?

No not at all. He has done some things - more needs to be done - Blame all parties - Libs - Cons for this mess with First Nations and yes many First Nations Leaders as well - Dippers do not count.