Your Grocery Bill

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Oh I know. I do that too, don't get me wrong.

But sometimes I just want a oven roasted beef with mashed potatoes, veggies and yorkshires smoothered in gravy, you know?

I hear you, SLM...........my mouth is watering at the thought especially the yorkshire puds!

You forgot turnips. Mmmmm turnips and gravy.

And parsnips!

I decided a few years ago to keep my grocery tapes and thanks to the print outs, I can track the rising cost of my groceries. You are right, VanIsle........the cost keeps going up.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I hear ya there.

On the downside though, I still tend to cook the same way and now I have this thing...I think they call them leftovers? Does that sound right to you?

Anyway, now I have to eat them all on my own. By day two it get's a little boring.

There is a solution to that issue:

I rarely have leftovers.

...'cuz I freeze them for future premade meals.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
No - we pay way too much for groceries. Maybe not so much in Ontario and I haven't been to Alberta for about 10 years so I don't know now about what you pay. I do know our groceries really increased in the past few months. In most stores you will pay at least $2.49 for just a loaf of bread. Sometimes it's on for 99 cents. Milk has moved from (just bought it yesterday but must have thrown the sales slip out) about $3.99 for 4 litres to $4.99 in most stores. Still a better buy though than a 12 pack of canned pop. That's gone to the ridiculous price of about $5.99 for a dozen. I feel ripped off though because I bought cheese yesterday and then got the flyer. Same cheese is $2.00 less today than I paid. Even a litre of ketchup was $4.99 and I finally had to buy. It's on today for $2.99. I can't win for losing.

I'm of two minds about the matter, I would guess the average family spends less than 20% of net income on groceries. Back in the day the grocery bill was the major expense and between that and the cost of a dwelling probably accounted for 70% of my dad's pay cheque, so I guess by comparison we are getting off fairly easy today. With groceries there is a lot of flexibility where you can spend as much or as little as you like. Eating habits have changed. How often do you see a grocery cart loaded with 50 lbs. of oatmeal, 50 lbs. of spuds, 50 lbs of flour, 25 lbs. of rice? Today it's mainly processed foods in small packages and stuff like condiments (condiments back in the day were salt and pepper). Would anyone who is truly concerned about the price of groceries be buying a dozen cans of pop? I think you have your answer right there. As far as the milk is concerned, is there anything wrong with power milk besides the kids don't like it? That part wasn't even a consideration growing up! All in all we are eating pretty high on the hog, and the waist lines around town attest to it.

I hear you, SLM...........my mouth is watering at the thought especially the yorkshire puds!

And parsnips!

I decided a few years ago to keep my grocery tapes and thanks to the print outs, I can track the rising cost of my groceries. You are right, VanIsle........the cost keeps going up.

Talking about parsnips I bought two fairly large ones at Safeway yesterday without checking the price first..................over $2. Kind of figured parnips and turnips pound for pound should be worth about the same.................................No way Jose.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I hear ya there.

On the downside though, I still tend to cook the same way and now I have this thing...I think they call them leftovers? Does that sound right to you?

Anyway, now I have to eat them all on my own. By day two it get's a little boring.

Leftovers can (I stress can) be great. If my husband is on evening shift - guess what he gets for dinner???? Otherwise, I make dinner at about 2:00 PM. Then when it's time for me to eat dinner myself, I feel like I am eating leftovers. On the other hand, my kids, kids are often here so I have food in the house that teens like and that my adult kids like. They are all here so much that I cannot get used to the "cook for two" rather than cook for four. We over eat. I am working on making myself throw "it out" so I won't nibble but sometimes, it's not easy. My son just had a chocolate craving and I told him that there was Nanaimo Bar in the freezer (not homemade). Once it comes into the house - it's hard to resist. I ate a piece. If he had not been here, I would not have thought of it. All kids - big and small inflate the grocery bill.

We've gotten good a portioning. The only things that ends up as leftovers are on purpose. Things like chili and stew.

Oh and pizza. We now get three meals from a 13".
You get 3 meals from a 13 inch? Even if I only eat 2 pieces there would only be two pieces left after my husband eats and if the kids are around, we need at least two pizza's that size.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Leftovers can (I stress can) be great. If my husband is on evening shift - guess what he gets for dinner???? Otherwise, I make dinner at about 2:00 PM. Then when it's time for me to eat dinner myself, I feel like I am eating leftovers. On the other hand, my kids, kids are often here so I have food in the house that teens like and that my adult kids like. They are all here so much that I cannot get used to the "cook for two" rather than cook for four. We over eat. I am working on making myself throw "it out" so I won't nibble but sometimes, it's not easy. My son just had a chocolate craving and I told him that there was Nanaimo Bar in the freezer (not homemade). Once it comes into the house - it's hard to resist. I ate a piece. If he had not been here, I would not have thought of it. All kids - big and small inflate the grocery bill.

That's just it, what's not there you don't think about. I do most of the grocery shopping here, sticking mainly to nutritional foods and not too many frills, (maybe a box of ginger snaps) then my wife decides to go down town and buy 14 different varieties of junk food including crap like Kraft dinner and cookies and muffins and pies and "goldfish" for the grand kids. And then I see this stuff and start to pick. Most of the crap on the shelves today is just as deadly as arsenic, it just takes a few years longer to kill you. :smile:

We've gotten good a portioning. The only things that ends up as leftovers are on purpose. Things like chili and stew.

Oh and pizza. We now get three meals from a 13".

What's a Ukrainian doing eat pizza? What happened to capoosta? :lol:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Mmmmm roast, yams, turnips, spuds, carrots n' gravy, a side of coleslaw and pickled beets.

Pickled herring for desert.

I think I'm going to take a roast out in the AM.
Pickled herring aside - way aside, I like all you eat but not together. The coleslaw and the beets - love them both but not at the same table as yams, turnips, carrots and potatoes. Maybe I'll take out a slow cooker roast tonight. Maybe.

And parsnips!

They do keep going up. I didn't have to know prices when I was a cashier but you keep seeing prices all day long and you remember them even if you are not trying to. Plus - like everyone else, I buy a lot of food and since SOM is so close by, I usually shop there. I notice a very big change in their prices over the past 3 - 4 months.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
This is one of the reasons why we hunt and fish. Grain fed deer, wild fish, make for smaller grocery bills, and healthier diets.

I don't like the look, taste, or colour of the poultry in the US.
Is it that sort of yellowy colour?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
There is a solution to that issue:

I rarely have leftovers.

...'cuz I freeze them for future premade meals.

I did that whole prepaid meals thing for years, when my kids were small. I guess now I'm kinda spoiled, if I feel like having something particular for dinner then I just stop and pick it up at the store on the way home from work.

And the big guy in the photo looks like he could outeat my son, so while leftovers wouldn't be a problem, I'm thinking poverty might, lol.;)

Is it that sort of yellowy colour?

I've seen those in grocery stores here. They look gross, I never buy them.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
This is one of the reasons why we hunt and fish. Grain fed deer, wild fish, make for smaller grocery bills, and healthier diets.

You're lucky to live in an area that is conducive to that sort of thing. I used to like that too but had to move for work from one province where one fish would feed five to a province where it takes five fish to feed one, and you might get five on a lucky day. If anyone had to rely on it for a living, they wouldn't be living. I'm told it's the result of many years of acid rain. I've given up hunting for the most part too, any time I found a good spot, it got logged out the following spring.

What I have found is that the quality of what we get here is higher than in the US. And we get to test it often; we live about 1 hr from the border, and many people here take every opportunity they can to go across to buy groceries. For example, last Thursday night, we went to St Stephen (border town) for a high school hockey game, many of the parents went 'over across' to pick up groceries. I don't like the look, taste, or colour of the poultry in the US.

I've never tried US poultry, but I'm certainly not impressed with the factory chickens available here. The bones should be white, not dark red or brown once cooked. We lived next to a chicken farmer, he started with one 36000 capacity barn, and between him and his brothers had 6 such barns within 2 years. He matter of factly explained the process one evening, 43 days from hatch to market, growth hormones, force feeding, antibiotics, acceptible losses in the hundreds per week. His son used to take the remains along the grid in front of our place and dump them on other land he owned one section over. Our dog would run out to the road and collect remnants that fell off the gut wagon and bring them home, ugh. His chickens went to Superstore, Safeway, and KFC. We bought free range farmgate chickens for years after that. (Don't bother raising them yourself unless you're willing to invest a big commitment in time and effort if you can find someone else willing to).

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Who is "we"? I gave up hunting and fishing as there is no economic benefit. It's cheaper to buy meat in the grocery store.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Him and his family.

I hunt and fish because I enjoy it. These days it's more about getting together with my brothers, sisters and brother/sister inlaws. The women get their boxes of wine and make perogies and cabbage rolls while we hunt. I don't see one of my sisters and her kids too often as she lives in Texas, so it's always a good time.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I hunt and fish because I enjoy it. These days it's more about getting together with my brothers, sisters and brother/sister inlaws. The women get their boxes of wine and make perogies and cabbage rolls while we hunt. I don't see one of my sisters and her kids too often as she lives in Texas, so it's always a good time.

Exactly. I don't know anybody (except for CB) that says it lowers the grocery bill. It's about the enjoyment. I could always take it or leave it so when it became more expensive to hunt food than to buy it, I gave it up.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
""""The pound and the Euro are much cheaper today than what they were 10 years ago — but even 10 years ago, I thought it was more expensive here," said Renaut, who buys quality cheese in Europe for a fraction of what she pays here.
"I'm always very happy to go back there, especially for the food."""

Great; I'm very happy to see you go. Stay there.

Eat lots of cheese, lots and lots. Hopefully you'll have a clotted artery which will lead to brain damage. Woops ----too late.

Supply management for farmers is a good thing. the profit is added on at retail. Ergo the higher? prices. Higher than what?

If supply management goes, so goes the farm, and we are left with corporate conglomerates to set the prices. That's working real well in lumber, oil, and beef. Google Cargil and see whatchaget!

It does work well in lumber, if you are a buyer. Sucks if you are a mill or market logger.

Exactly. I don't know anybody (except for CB) that says it lowers the grocery bill. It's about the enjoyment. I could always take it or leave it so when it became more expensive to hunt food than to buy it, I gave it up.

I think it depends on where you live. We have deer on our property every day and the ocean is less than 1 k. also have a garden and fruit trees. If you live in the city and have to drive 100 miles to hunt then it probably is not cost effective.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It does work well in lumber, if you are a buyer. Sucks if you are a mill or market logger.

I think it depends on where you live. We have deer on our property every day and the ocean is less than 1 k. also have a garden and fruit trees. If you live in the city and have to drive 100 miles to hunt then it probably is not cost effective.

I live out in the country. I couldn't even begin to count the deer within 5 miles of my house. Get the odd moose hanging around as well. It's just not economically viable.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
A day or two off work, gasoline, tags, habitat fees, ammo. etc does add up. If it were for food I'd only go for elk and never bother with deer.