Wheat board monopoly to end

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Up 'em?

Think about it Petros.. The only reason there is to look at anything in Sask is because of it being cheap. AB can afford to up it's rates 'cause the infrastructure is already in place and the resources are proven.

Maybe some day Sask will decide to grow up and develop it's own infrastructure rather than relying on AB to do all of the heavy lifting for ya.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I know farmers like my uncle are very uneasy and uncertain. He is one of a group of farmers involved in the Red Coat Road and Rail Ltd. short rail line. They are listed in this article on CBC:

Short-lines concerned about future - Saskatchewan - CBC News

Without the wheat board, or even with a weakened wheat board, many short-line companies say they won't survive either.

"I think within days or months for sure you would see some short-lines in some financial trouble where they don't have any income coming in and you would see them go under fairly regularly the first year," said Lonny McKague, a director with Red Coat Road and Rail Ltd., a short-line railway in Saskatchewan's southwest.

Red Coat, like the 13 other short-line railways in the Prairies, primarily ships producer cars for farmers marketing to the wheat board. Farmers load the producer cars themselves, which are taken by the short-lines to major railways and shipped to port. That's where the wheat board unloads the grain and ships it overseas.

According to the Canadian Wheat Board, farmers loaded 12,784 producer cars in the 2010-11 farming season. Of those, the wheat board says 463 (about three per cent) were loaded with non-board grain.

McKague said he has already seen building and investment halt along the 115 kilometres of track operated by Red Coat Road and Rail over concern about the line's future.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Do you think they'll be able to buy any of the Fed rail cars or will CN and OmniTraxx get first dibs?

I don't really know...seems like they're gun shy about spending any money right now with so much uncertainty.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I don't really know...seems like they're gun shy about spending any money right now with so much uncertainty.
I spent $100K on bins last winter and it looks like I'll need to do it again. It has to sit somewhere while I build my wheat tasting boutique and tours for value added purposes to sell my grain on the "open market".

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I spent $100K on bins last winter and it looks like I'll need to do it again. It has to sit somewhere while I build my wheat tasting boutique and tours for value added purposes to sell my grain on the "open market".

Make your own beer! Flatlander''s Pride or something...:smile: