Too many cops on leave WITH pay?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
To be fair, that's what they do in Ontario with speeders who are classed as 'stunt drivers' - they seize your car on the spot, and suspend your license, long before you have a chance to go to trial.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Why does the guy on the other end of the baton get his life put on hold while Cops and Courts do their thing?

So a suspened cop hasn't had his life put on hold and possibly his career?

In most cases form performing his duties.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
At least I HAVE a brain!

I was being kind when I said that. No good deed goes unpunished I guess.

To be fair, that's what they do in Ontario with speeders who are classed as 'stunt drivers' - they seize your car on the spot, and suspend your license, long before you have a chance to go to trial.

Same thing really. The cop is removed from the position where he could abuse other civilians, and the driver is removed from the position where he or she could harm people. They can still work, use the transit and carry on with life other than driving. The cop can carry on as well unless he is sent home, and then he can do what he likes until the investigation is concluded in a few weeks and he is either charged or reinstated.

In essence making the error on the side of safety without violating charter rights.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I'm not talking about convicting I'm talking about being paid. If the work is to be suspended it only follows the pay should be suspended. If the final outcome shows him to be innocent then he should be paid for the time missed.

Sure when his bank calls his mortgage, they repossess the car I'm sure that he will be able to straighten that out after being unemployed for a prolonged period.

This is where COMMON SENSE (look it up) comes into play, he's on camera, the guys face is beaten to a pulp.

It's not common sense. Not addressing the specifics of any case, there is a lot to be said about witness testimony, video and investigating evidence. I watched a video where it appeared a cop was beating a man with a baton. What it didn't show, and this was confirmed by a kid working at the business the incident occurred was that man being hit with the baton would not unhand the police officer.

Investigations can take months, cops are people to, they have bills to pay and families to feed.

Exactly.

Tough, maybe they should think about that before kicking the sh*t out of people or tasering them to death.

Man you don't want justice, you want revenge. That's how people got strung up in the old days.

Should I be able to accuse you of something and have your pay suspended until the legal case is decided?

No.

Why does the guy on the other end of the baton get his life put on hold while Cops and Courts do their thing?

Because he is innocent until proven guilty. If you are put before the court for an offense they don't go to your place of work and demand your terminated until you climb out from under the charge. They could very well leave the officer on duty until it is resolved, but to avoid conflict of interest they place him on leave with pay. Seems pretty fair, especially if the charges were bunk.

Why is it that some civil libertarians always want their rights protected, but cry foul when its someone they have disdain for?

Not every cop accused of abuse is guilty, in fact most aren't. Ever watch a guy get taken down, ever wonder why some of them scream about handcuffs being too tight or "You're killing me!"

Last edited:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Same thing really. The cop is removed from the position where he could abuse other civilians, and the driver is removed from the position where he or she could harm people. They can still work, use the transit and carry on with life other than driving. The cop can carry on as well unless he is sent home, and then he can do what he likes until the investigation is concluded in a few weeks and he is either charged or reinstated.

In essence making the error on the side of safety without violating charter rights.

Is having your license suspended with no ability to appeal not a violation of one's right to a fair trial? Since there is no way that you'll get a trial before the suspension is over.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
So a suspened cop hasn't had his life put on hold and possibly his career?

In most cases form performing his duties.
Is that how you interpret it? If he's done wrong - highly visible wrong - tough shyte. The asshole just painted a target on ten good cops. Is that how you really want it?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Is having your license suspended with no ability to appeal not a violation of one's right to a fair trial? Since there is no way that you'll get a trial before the suspension is over.

Nope. You don't have a right to drive. You have your say in court rather than an appeal and usually there is a hearing before going to trial so no rights are violated.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Because he is innocent until proven guilty. If you are put before the court for an offense they don't go to your place of work and demand your terminated until you climb out from under the charge. They could very well leave the officer on duty until it is resolved, but to avoid conflict of interest they place him on leave with pay. Seems pretty fair, especially if the charges were bunk.

Cherry pick elsewhere. Where there is clear evidence - like goons (both varieties) somewhere in the same area as a G20 fence, or six cops slugging on a downed man, or four cops lighting up someone at an airport ... or are you another one who likes the idea of bad cops painting targets on good cops - or soldiers as the case may be?

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Is that how you interpret it? If he's done wrong - highly visible wrong - tough shyte. The asshole just painted a target on ten good cops. Is that how you really want it?

Are there any queers in the theatre tonight?
Get 'em up against the wall. -- 'Gainst the wall!
And that one in the spotlight, he don't look right to me.
Get him up against the wall. -- 'Gainst the wall!
And that one looks Jewish, and that one's a coon.
Who let all this riffraff into the room?
There's one smoking a joint, and another with spots!
If I had my way I'd have all of ya shot.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Are there any queers in the theatre tonight?
Get 'em up against the wall. -- 'Gainst the wall!
And that one in the spotlight, he don't look right to me.
Get him up against the wall. -- 'Gainst the wall!
And that one looks Jewish, and that one's a coon.
Who let all this riffraff into the room?
There's one smoking a joint, and another with spots!
If I had my way I'd have all of ya shot.
I believe it. Did the weed-whacker hurt?

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Cherry pick elsewhere. Where there is clear evidence - like goons (both varieties) somewhere in the same area as a G20 fence, or six cops slugging on a downed man, or four cops lighting up someone at an airport ... or are you another one who likes the idea of bad cops painting targets on good cops - or soldiers as the case may be?

Cherry picking? Yeah sure. So you don't want everyone to have the same rights as you. Kinda of hypocritical man.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Your interpretation....

No, I believe that we are all afforded the right to the presumption of innocence until proven guilty. Our justice system has some clear examples where witness testimony have failed a citizen. David Milgaard comes to mind. Hell, he even confessed, his friends testified against him. Lo and behold he was railroaded.

I am not endorsing the cop who beats up a civilian, but I believe he is entitled to the presumption of innocence and we should not go about destroying his life based on untested evidence. That is what living in this Country means. If you want mob justice go to Iran or the Sudan where an accusation can lead to public lynching or stoning.

Everyone is entitled to a fair trial. You, me, the despicable child molester, the accused cop. It is not the business of justice to sabotage a persons life before a trial has run its course.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Nope. You don't have a right to drive. You have your say in court rather than an appeal and usually there is a hearing before going to trial so no rights are violated.

I didn't claim that you have a right to drive. You do, however, have the right to a trial for a criminal charge. Imposing the sentence when you are charged (ie, seizing your car and suspending your license) with a CRIMINAL offense is just the tiniest bit in conflict with our Charter.

But don't let that stop you.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You have proven otherwise with this thread and your obvious bias against the men and women who serve and protect us.

What's the matter, did ya get a speeding ticket yesterday.:smile:

Most people when they get down so far they have enough brains to quit digging. I haven't had a speeding ticket in this millenium, or any other driving infraction. I have no bias against the men and women who serve and protect us. How is kicking in a guy's face serving or protecting anyone? :smile:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

How can you have your say in court when it's months after your car has been impounded and license suspended?

How does your calendar work?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM,
So if I understand you correctly, you believe we shouldn't waste time on a trial before punishing someone, when we all know they are guilty.

Why not replace the entire criminal justice system with citizen action groups?

The self appointed citizen action group just accuses someone of something, ie Nazi, terrorist, communist, witch... and they show up outside the criminal's house at night, kick in the doors, drag the person out into the street and just hang 'em. I can see many benefits such as community involvement, immediacy and low cost.... no need for police, lawyers, judges, courts or prisons.

You're pretty close- What good did trials do in the O.J. Simpson case, the David Milgaard case or the Air India case?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
No, I believe that we are all afforded the right to the presumption of innocence until proven guilty. Our justice system has some clear examples where witness testimony have failed a citizen. David Milgaard comes to mind. Hell, he even confessed, his friends testified against him. Lo and behold he was railroaded.

Good comparison!

I am not endorsing the cop who beats up a civilian, but I believe he is entitled to the presumption of innocence and we should not go about destroying his life based on untested evidence. That is what living in this Country means. If you want mob justice go to Iran or the Sudan where an accusation can lead to public lynching or stoning.

Oh it's tough getting these guys off their asses and moving to the motherland where they can point and accuse without benefit of sober second thought. Of course deep down in their tiny brains they know they would be tossed like so much chaff into the pit and the rocks would fly the first week on the ground there.

Everyone is entitled to a fair trial. You, me, the despicable child molester, the accused cop. It is not the business of justice to sabotage a persons life before a trial has run its course.

Exactly!